Xbox 360 "red ring of death"

Dawgdoc

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I could not find the right place.

I know my way around computers very well, but have never modded an Xbox 360 or even taken the top off of it.

For the past 1 week my Xbox 360 displays red lights where the green power lights and controller connection lights typically show. I have been told and read that this is the "red ring of death" and the Xbox 360 is dying no matter what I do.

Is this true? Anything I can do to fix it?

Where can I read more about modding Xbox 360s/etc...?

TY!

1. This would be better in teh General Gaming section, specifically the Console gamming area.
2. If three of the four lights are red, then yup, it RROD'd (Red Ring of Death) on you. The "death" part of the description is very accurate as you can't fix it, without voiding the warranty anyways.
3. It should still be under warranty, so give MS a call. They should be more than willing to fix it for free. They'll even pay for shipping both ways. Give them a call before you try and do anything with it though.

Since I am guessing your 360 is still in warranty you should first give Microsoft a call. If you are out of warranty for whatever reason you can always try reflowing the solder connections between the GPU and motherboard.

Wrapping the machine in towels may get it to temporarily power on but it's hardly a fix. Don't forget that Microsoft is offering a 3-year extended warranty for RROD problems, so all Xbox 360 owners are still covered - you should send it to them.

Wrapping the machine in towels may get it to temporarily power on but it's hardly a fix. Don't forget that Microsoft is offering a 3-year extended warranty for RROD problems, so all Xbox 360 owners are still covered - you should send it to them.

Yes I am going to do exactly that.

TY everyone for all of the info!

Back