Xbox 360 sound system

SiliconValley

Limp Gawd
I'm new to audio and interested in starting to research a good sound system/home theatre system for my xbox 360 (and movies). I just bought an LCD HDTV and I have the premium xbox 360. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of where to begin my research? Thanks!

If you live someplace where you have access to a "real" home theater showroom with listening room (meaning not a huge chain store), listening live is the only way to go. I find that while most video can be objectively evaluated for things like artifacts, screen noise, color saturation and such, opinions about audio are a lot more subjective and various (for example, some people really like their Bose speakers). A good store where they have a selection of speakers and receivers all set up for easy switching and comparison is the only way to figure out where your taste lies.

The other option, if you're not experienced and you have a limited budget, is to buy a cheap 5.1 setup and just go with it. Since any 5.1 setup will blow away the TV speakers you'll end up happy because you've only heard the one system. ;)

Yea, audio can get really hardcore and a bit overwhelming. Home theater in a box (full system with everything you need in it) is looked down alot, but like the poster above me said...it'll still blow away everything you've heard before. It's also alot easier and cheaper.

The Onkyo Home Theater System (HT-S790S) keeps popping up on techbargains and it's defintiely a lot of bang for your buck.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/prod...ty.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&qp=0&oid=150739

Navy

On my 360 I use my roomates system (he has the one in the main living room) consisten of Polk towers with 6.5" drivers + tweeters + 8" integrated subs, a center channel with two 6.5" drivers + tweeter, rears with 6.5" drivers plus tweeters and a dual 10" sub, it works well. You can do better for more money now I am sure, this system is near 5 years old, but it it good.

In my bedroom I have a Infinity Modulus 7.1 system. 2.1 are dedicated to the computer, and I wired it so I get 5.1 for PS2 and gamecube, also very effective. The only computer speakers worth spending money on are the Klipsch ones, but for a little more you can get a real receiver/speaker setup which is a lot better.

I recommend the Bose 3-2-1 speakers. I am basing this recommendation on the infomercial I saw last night. If you are in the market for headphones, I recommend the QC-2 headphones, also based on another infomercial I saw. 3-2-1 = x-fi stereo effect, qc-2 = really quiet?

Monkey_feces said:
I recommend the Bose 3-2-1 speakers. I am basing this recommendation on the infomercial I saw last night. If you are in the market for headphones, I recommend the QC-2 headphones, also based on another infomercial I saw. 3-2-1 = x-fi stereo effect, qc-2 = really quiet?
You probably shouldn't base your decision on someone elses thoughts on what they watched on an infomercial. I don't think a double negative makes a positive in this scenario. A mathematical loophole!!! I'm a genius.

You wouldn't think I was trolling if you saw these infomercials. They were really persuasive. I mean, they put dummy speakers around a family when showing them the 3-2-1 speakers and they thought they had real surround sound! Come on, that's pretty awesome isn't it? You also get a 30 day trial period. Who else gives you a 30 day trial period without you abusing a B&M
return policy?

budget?

I bought a Sony 5.1 system for $350 that really honestly does all I want and more. You don't have to spend a fortune to get decent sound.

Back