Xbox finally RROD

Kaash

Limp Gawd
Well this been a crappy month. First my PS3 blue laser went out so no ps3 / blue ray movies for me, dvd's work just fine but the system can't see any disk that i put in that is a ps3 game or blueray movie. now last night decided to fire up the xbox elite before heading to bed and the dashboard froze while i was shifting through the different pages. restart the system and now got 3 rrod. When the system finally wants to start the xbox loading page has artifacts and will not go pass that screen =/ and here i am not buying new games so i can save some cash now I want to buy the newish ps3 slim and the new xbox with kinect. i say want cause let face it these are not NEED purchases I sitll have crap load of PC single player games to beat. hell i JUST beat Mass Effect 1 last week. now onto Dragon Age: Orgins.

this post is more a grrr rant than anything

Um, if your 360 is an elite it was built on the Jasper chipset which started its manufacturing at the earliest of April 2008. RROD is fully covered under warranty for 3 years from purchase date, so it would appear your troubles are only a phone call away.

800 4 MYXBOX, Microsoft will provide you with a free shipping label all you have to do is call them, ship it and wait 2 weeks for it to be repaired/replaced.

Elites started out on the Falcon chipset, FYI :p

Jasper started with the Late 2008 Arcade units, about a good 6 or some months before the Elites started sporting the new 65nm revision.

But yeah, MS has a 3 year warranty for RROD.

I got the Elite in 2007 before i PCS to Japan so yea past 3yrs. It just sucks that the PS3 and 360 died about the same time =/

Well you can fix it. There are several guides on the subject and it's not hard. Just time consuming.

And extremely temporary. Don't be surprised if it doesn't stay working.

Depends on which fix you do. If you do the stupid towel trick it won't last and it will eventually destroy your console. If you replace the x-clamps and use the proper washers for the proper spacing it can last forever to months. All depends. There are many guides out there on replacing the xclamps and most of them are wrong.

Depends on which fix you do. If you do the stupid towel trick it won't last and it will eventually destroy your console. If you replace the x-clamps and use the proper washers for the proper spacing it can last forever to months. All depends. There are many guides out there on replacing the xclamps and most of them are wrong.

I'd also get a temp adjustable heat gun and some rosin flux too. It's not as difficult to reflow XBox 360 boards as it is a PS3 with their thick heatspreaders and lousy retention mechanism. There are guides available for this as well.

Always contact MicroSoft first to verify if your unit is under warranty or not.

Back