Xbox hardware 2 PC?

feelingshorter

Limp Gawd
I'm sure you've all seen the inside of an xbox long ago but i just recently saw pictures of it on the internet. Noting that i got my xbox for 30 bucks from a rich friend (since i'm poor as hell and he felt sorry for me). So i saw a Western digital hard drive in the xbox when i saw the pics. I was wondering if i can make that into a slave drive on my computer.

Anyone found any info on this idea? Because i would like a slave drive so that i can store extra files, even tho the hard drive is only 5 gigabyte, it is still worth it (remember back in the day with 8 gig was top of the line :D?)

Also about that dvd drive, it also looks standard size and can proably fit into my computer slot, any ideas or links found on the internet relating to this? I search long on google and found none.

PS: I use a msi MS-8348 cdrw with firmware 110d. For those of you that dont know anything about firmware, 110d is extremely old firmware, there has been several updates since that. And i went on the MSI website 2 look for a driver update but there was none because i got my computer from some dude on ebay, for CHEAP because i'm POOR. Infact, msi website lists pictures for all their cdrw and i cannot even find the picture of my cdrw, its the weirdest shape i ever seen. So why do i need the xbox dvd player? Well, i hope it can read regular cds also so that i can replace my &*y&* cdrw uses HUGE pc utilization. Lets just say that i cant even read an avi file off a cd! And when i write stuff to a cdrw CD, it always get error. I used imanation brand, all my friends burn at 100% error free while i cant even burn a music disc at any speed, (i tried em all, expensive but i did it anyways).

But the idea will be cool overall 2 do, unless the computer god just hands me a new cdrw driver.:D

well i know xbox drives are formatted differently, so you would definately need to reformat. i heard something about this a while back and i think i remember it not even working in a computer. also i think the drive is a 10gb, not that it matters. the dvd drive is just a waste of time, if ur so picky just sell the damn xbox for $100 and buy a real 10gig hard drive and a dvd drive.

ps. welcome to the forum.

i aint gonna sell my xbox. Btw i forgot 2 tell my comp stats. i am running on a ep8k5a2 (thats the best one there was when i bought it). AMD 2200+ Tbred (so its hot, running at 52+ degrees) with 512 pc2700 ram (sam sung). 80 gig, fat32, western digital. And a bottem of the line 128 mb nvidia geforce 4 ti 4200.

u do know that taking apart an xbox will destroy it. ur not able to run an xbox without a dvd drive or hard drive.

so my question is why are you so eager to ruin your xbox for something that more than likely wont even work, but yet dont even consider selling it? are you just trying to do this for a fun little project or what?

Originally posted by jamestime88
u do know that taking apart an xbox will destroy it. ur not able to run an xbox without a dvd drive or hard drive.

so my question is why are you so eager to ruin your xbox for something that more than likely wont even work, but yet dont even consider selling it? are you just trying to do this for a fun little project or what?
I agree. There is no reason to do this unless you just want something to waste time on. If you really need storage space, you can probably find a 10GB for cheap on ebay or a FS forum.

yea, fun lil project. Not that ill destroy my xbox, ill just use the dvd drive for a while and put it back once i watch all the 1000 disc of anime from my friend.

Its just i am curious, and it would be cool 2 do that and...

"because i can"

well lets make that a "can" hopefully.

I need 2 find a hobby, got another idea? Something.. CHEAP and dont say mud pie, because you never know when you will un cover a deadly virus from the soil.

It would be retarded to put your xbox dvd drive in your computer and it wouldn't work(without some work). THe hard drive will work however, just needs to be unlocked, I have one running in a old box of mine. But both ideas are POINTLESS, a 10gig hard drive is cheap as hell and so is a dvd burner.

the xbox harddrive is locked, it part of the ATA protocall that locks the hard drive to an controller and will not allow it to be use by a diffrent controller, the only way a computer can use the harddrive is if you flash the xbox tsop and load your own evox, then you can disable the lock using software you can load on the xbox

there are tutorials out there if you want to do it

shouldn't this be posted in the games forum? :confused:

and why don't you mod the xbox? 120gb hard drive, linux, emulators, etc...

there's a fun hobby for ya right there! :D

oh yea, and welcome aboard ;)

why not just get the dvd player for xbox for a couple bucks and watch the dvds on tv? this sounds like way to much work you can get a dvd drive for like 20 bucks too...

Ah, speculation. I like the way you want to take proprietary hardware and make it your own. It'll cost you, though--more time than money. Why not just let the xbox run as a server or something?

that would involve modding which sounds a bit pricey for him (more then he payed for the box ;))

Good point. At the rate it's going, I think that Xbox will make the coolest paperweight ever.

If you mess with the HD doesn't it pretty much ruin your chances to ever play XBOX live? I'm not certain about this one.

I also suggest that you don't risk it...30 bucks was such a good deal so you don't wanna go put that to waste...

The DVD drive will NOT work. Don't even try it. I understand there are some utilities floating around that can unlock the Xbox harddrive from a PC. But once it's unlocked, you pretty much destroy the chance of ever making that Xbox work again unless you mod it.

Just pay the 30 bux for the DVD addon and watch your damn DVD's on a regular TV. I'm sure you could find it cheaper if you google it.

Try cleaning your CDRW. Having high CPU utilization is a symptom of read errors which could be caused by a dirty lense.

You can get your friend to drive your ass to Wal-Mart and then he can pay $10 for a CD-Player cleaner kit with the CD that has the little brushes on it.

Originally posted by rally9x
If you mess with the HD doesn't it pretty much ruin your chances to ever play XBOX live? I'm not certain about this one.
No if you boot up your xbox with the new hdd unlocked its gonna say "Hey i dont recognize this drive" and its gonna lock you out of xbox live. But if you use Evox to lock it you can go online in the DEFAULT xbox bios. But beshure to have your Xecuter or whatever modchip you have disabled.

Originally posted by edsbar60
Just pay the 30 bux for the DVD addon and watch your damn DVD's on a regular TV. I'm sure you could find it cheaper if you google it.
Your not [H] till you mod your xbox :D

i'm talking about watching a REGULAR .avi anime movies, not dvd disk. So i dont even really need a dvd player, just a regular cd player. Wish my TV dvd player can watch AVI/OGG files :(

About your idea of spending money 2 buy a dvd player and hard drive defeats the purpose that i wanna TRY 2 see if it works, seems like it doesnt.

:eek: i cant aford 2 even buy cable internet, much less a new dvd drive/hard drive. So i just wanted 2 have some fun with my xbox.

:mad: i wanna play starcraft ghost and halo 2 when it comes out also, so i dont want 2 do anything that'd screw up my xbox unless it worked, but it is impossible as it seems

Originally posted by feelingshorter
i'm talking about watching a REGULAR .avi anime movies, not dvd disk. So i dont even really need a dvd player, just a regular cd player. Wish my TV dvd player can watch AVI/OGG files :(

About your idea of spending money 2 buy a dvd player and hard drive defeats the purpose that i wanna TRY 2 see if it works, seems like it doesnt.

:eek: i cant aford 2 even buy cable internet, much less a new dvd drive/hard drive. So i just wanted 2 have some fun with my xbox.

:mad: i wanna play starcraft ghost and halo 2 when it comes out also, so i dont want 2 do anything that'd screw up my xbox unless it worked, but it is impossible as it seems

The problem with the dvd drive is it uses a non standard power connector and maybe (don't know) other modifications from a normal dvdrom drive.
You could use you HDD but it would take some time to get it working on your PC and then back working in you xbox to use.

I'd be glad to trade you a HDD and DVDROM for that xbox ;)

Also to clear this up, you wouldn't need to have a modchip or flash your TSOP at all to do the HDD or even run unsigned code on your xbox.

Originally posted by WackDaddy
Also to clear this up, you wouldn't need to have a modchip or flash your TSOP at all to do the HDD or even run unsigned code on your xbox.
That's news to me. How does that work exactly?

Originally posted by Acceptable_Risk
That's news to me. How does that work exactly?

There are exploits available now that involve replacing certain files on you xbox hdd. Works great for me. I'm not going to go into too much detail, you can PM me if you are really interested.

Back