Xbox one controller on PC

nintari

[H]ard|Gawd
First off pissoff with the whole kb/m is superior without even reading this thread, cause I know someone will chime in with that lol

just throwing a thread out there to see how many of you started using the Xbox one controller on their PC. I have been using the 360 convertible controller for some time now on my htpc in the living room (and obviously casual games on my main gaming rig), and while it does the job I still tend to hate the d-pad. Now couple that with the fact my son keeps taking and ruining my battery packs and play and charge cables lol.

So I have been considering getting a Xbox one controller to use.... but I hate the fact there is no wireless dongle for it.

However I have to ask...

since it is wired (for now) is there less input lag or does it feel more responsive?

Is the controller a better feel than the 360 controller, worthy of the price, or should I just suck it up and just stick to buying a new cable and battery for my existing pad

Has anyone seen anything about Microsoft releasing a wireless adapter for the Xbox one controller?

On the Xbox one controller does the Xbox button still work in steam big picture mode to bring up your steam overlay in game?

Any user experience and input would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a question: does the 360 wireless dongle work with the Bone controller?

I also have a question: does the 360 wireless dongle work with the Bone controller?

No it doesn't. It's wired or nothing at the moment (probably some hack driver which will allow wireless, but I don't know anything about that). As far as the Xbox One controller, it feels much better than the 360 controller, especially the d-pad. I can't really any of the other questions, because I don't use Steam Big Picture mode, and use the controller mostly for games people use controllers for. I'd say right now, the 360 controller is still probably the way to go, but only for a little while longer.

KB/M IS SUPERIOR (in the right games and setting). sometimes a controller is superior. i actually play more single player games with my controller but i play all competitive/multiplayer games with my kb/m. i was wondering about this too. i thought i read somewhere recently that MS plans on supporting the xbone controller for pc, which i would assume means releasing a wireless solution for it. i wouldnt wait around for it though if you think you would actually use it now. just get a cable and if a wireless dongle comes out at some point, get it.

I'm curious about the xbone controller as well but for now I'm using the razer sabertooth. The buttons are far easier to press, more shallow, and the Dpad is four separate buttons instead of that crappy single. It emulates a 360 controller for everything I've tried but it is wired only.

First off pissoff with the whole kb/m is superior without even reading this thread, cause I know someone will chime in with that lol

Nah, only someone that's pants-on-head dimwit would declare KB/M being superior across the board. It all depends on the game. For an FPS, yes KB/M is generally superior, though there are some people that are amazing with analog sticks. For a lot of other games, like say the Dark Souls series, a controller is a must. Things like precise directional rolling feels better on sticks than WASD+mouse.

Good to hear more people are getting into the whole Steam + controllers in the livingroom, I think it really does have the potential to be the next big thing in videogames now that PS4 and Xbone have shot their marketing wads and are going to just stumble along for 4-5 years slap fighting and hair pulling trying to get this exclusive or that over the other.

I also can't wait for the extra precision that the Steam controller looks like it'll bring to couchpotato gaming.

Last edited:

just throwing a thread out there to see how many of you started using the Xbox one controller on their PC. I have been using the 360 convertible controller for some time now on my htpc in the living room (and obviously casual games on my main gaming rig), and while it does the job I still tend to hate the d-pad. Now couple that with the fact my son keeps taking and ruining my battery packs and play and charge cables lol.

So I have been considering getting a Xbox one controller to use.... but I hate the fact there is no wireless dongle for it.

However I have to ask...

since it is wired (for now) is there less input lag or does it feel more responsive?

Is the controller a better feel than the 360 controller, worthy of the price, or should I just suck it up and just stick to buying a new cable and battery for my existing pad

Has anyone seen anything about Microsoft releasing a wireless adapter for the Xbox one controller?

On the Xbox one controller does the Xbox button still work in steam big picture mode to bring up your steam overlay in game?

Any user experience and input would be greatly appreciated!

I've used both a 360 controller and XBONE controller to play Dark Souls 2 on PC. The Dpad on the XBONE controller is noticeably superior IMO. When using the 360 controller, I would often hit more than 1 button at once. I don't have this problem using the XBONE controller. Also, it may just be because the controller is old, but the 360 controller "slides" out of my hand when I've been playing for a while and is less comfortable to hold on to.

I'll never play a racing game with a KB/M. EVER! :) I still use a 360 controller but the Xbox One controllers (can't stand "XBONE") look interesting enough.

EDIT: Lol - no, I wasn't referring to whrswoldo's post. We posted at the same time. :)

glad to see the support for this so far, If I had twitter I'd ping the hell out of Major Nelson asking about a wireless adapter (but I steer clear of any social media besides forums lol)

On a side note while visiting game stop (makes me sick to even have to set foot in there sometimes) I seen a wireless xbox 360 Wheel controller... why am I a sucker for gimmicks lol. I passed on it for now while looking at the xbox one controllers... if it only works wired for now I may try to pickup a few as is controllers off fleabay and hope it is just a dead battery pack :D, and I can then play wired for now.

I can't believe a controller is $59.99.

Why? I remember despite the rosy nostalgia of older controllers that they often fell apart frequently. They didn't cost much because they didn't last long. I have the same Xbox 360 controller I bought since 2006 and its going along just great. I have one my original PS3 controllers as well. I think I bought like 6 or 7 SNES controllers throughout its lifespan in my home. Now I'm rebuying it and by some miracle people have managed to keep them in one piece since then.

As long as the build quality keeps to that standard I'm ok with paying that. And I refuse to buy a used controller unless they are not sold new anymore. I don't like the idea of whoever used it before doing ..what people sometimes do with their hands (because I do nasty shit to :D).

I would just wait for a Holiday sale , you'll be able to get a nice deal then I'm sure if you just hate the price point.

XBONE controller is torture on my hands... Xbox 360 controller has superior ergonomics, in my opinion.

Why? I remember despite the rosy nostalgia of older controllers that they often fell apart frequently. They didn't cost much because they didn't last long. I have the same Xbox 360 controller I bought since 2006 and its going along just great. I have one my original PS3 controllers as well. I think I bought like 6 or 7 SNES controllers throughout its lifespan in my home. Now I'm rebuying it and by some miracle people have managed to keep them in one piece since then.

As long as the build quality keeps to that standard I'm ok with paying that. And I refuse to buy a used controller unless they are not sold new anymore. I don't like the idea of whoever used it before doing ..what people sometimes do with their hands (because I do nasty shit to :D).

I would just wait for a Holiday sale , you'll be able to get a nice deal then I'm sure if you just hate the price point.

Indeed. The old Atari 2600 joysticks were notorious for breaking. Went through those like candy.

Check out the PS4 controller.

It supports the PC OOTB wirelessly and with 3rd party drivers (DS4TOOL) it enables the trackpad to be used with gestures. It also lets you assign macros to the buttons as well. Both features are REALLY handy for a living room box.

There are multiple forks of the project, but I know the various developers are trying to get audio out through the headset jack on the bottom, which would be epic if you're using a corded set of cans.

Check out the PS4 controller.

It supports the PC OOTB wirelessly and with 3rd party drivers (DS4TOOL) it enables the trackpad to be used with gestures. It also lets you assign macros to the buttons as well. Both features are REALLY handy for a living room box.

There are multiple forks of the project, but I know the various developers are trying to get audio out through the headset jack on the bottom, which would be epic if you're using a corded set of cans.
Just to clarify, you need Bluetooth connectivity on your PC to connect your Dualshock 4 wirelessly. The reason the XBONE controller doesn't work this way is it uses its own proprietary RF technology.

I love the Xbox One controller.. Once you get used to it, far superior than then 360 controller.

I hooked mine up last night for the first time after reading this post and it worked fine with Steam. Home button fired up the big picture (which I do not use but wanted to test for an earlier question in this thread).

My game pc is win 7 and it auto loaded the driver. Hitting the home button on the controller did not show battery level though like it does with my wireless 360 controller but not an issues since I was wired into my pc through a front USB 3 port.

Played Wolf Among us, not very intensive, but all buttons worked fine.

Played a little Dark Souls 2 to test and it worked fine. I'm a KB/Mouse user when it comes to FPS and will not use a controller there but for games where the controller is best, DS and Batman, etc., this is a good option if you have one.

Back