Xbox One Demos Running On NVIDIA Hardware?

Why is everyone getting sand in their vajayjay over this? Being serious here. I'm not seeing why this is a big effin deal. Is this just something for the Nintendo/Sony fanbois to get all rabid over? :confused:

Why is everyone getting sand in their vajayjay over this? Being serious here. I'm not seeing why this is a big effin deal. Is this just something for the Nintendo/Sony fanbois to get all rabid over? :confused:

It's about lying.
People don't like being lied to.

So how did they confirm that it was nvidia cards? I don't see it

In one blog, they zoomed onto the card and plastered across it was "NVIDIA" in green text.

It's obvious it's some kind of high end Nvidia card, maybe a GTX 680 or GTX 780 if going by the fan shroud.

If they had nvidia hardware in house and no one else gave them money to get new PC's for the demo, I don't see the big brouhaha.

my guess is they are dev kits which use intel cpus and NV Titans

They're coded on a pc, that's hooked up to a Dev Kit, which is a form of the console without all the niceties and the SDK built into it. A Dev Kit isn't a windows PC with different hardware than a retail version.

You are correct. I just wanted to point out that the number of dev kits in the market for the next generation of hardware isn't what you would have for xbox 360 or ps3. A company currently in development may not want/be able to waste a dev kit on E3 when they can just use a PC instead.

If they had nvidia hardware in house and no one else gave them money to get new PC's for the demo, I don't see the big brouhaha.

This guy gets it.

Or they rented machines for their E3 booth and they came with Nvidia hardware.

I was at E3. At least some of the Xbox One demos were running on actual hardware - Project Spark definitely was, it had a Durango version string displayed at the bottom of the screen: http://www.exophase.com/60348/hey-listen-a-story-about-xbox-one-demos/

This seems to be an isolated case where the developer didn't have Xbox One code ready yet Microsoft let him demo the game PC. It's also a smaller title - the finished product likely won't differ at all on actual hardware. Still dishonest on Microsoft's part though.

I guess this means it won't be impossible to turn your PC into a HackBox One...

Nearly all "development" kits that I have ever seen are basically a "hacked" console that allows a computer to connect to it directly so the developers can run the code directly on the hardware of the console.

This is nothing new. I recall game demos running on PC hardware when the original Xbox came out.

Funny thing is that some PC demos never came out as PC games as they were console exclusives.

This is "worse" because its not only running on a high end PC but with a competitor GPU and most probably intel CPU.

I hoping the next Battle Field optimized for AMD is demoed on Haswell+titan :D:D

Just curious, will the Retail release allow single stepping debugging? Not if they are smart it won't.

So your development platform must be something that can run modern programming tools, like debuggers, profilers, etc.

Another thought is, these have "limited" RAM, where a desktop does not. Will the programming tools "fit" in RAM with a max effort game loaded?

Looks like a new high end system built for the show.

_1371234242.jpg

could be a developers HOME box. built for programming and developing AT HOME when not at work.

people get so worked up over this little petty chit, it pisses me off.
you can dev on anything you want, especially if its your own personal pc that you might game on OFF the CLOCK.

this is nothing new considering pc hardware has been used for demo purposes for decades now.
after all, the games are built on pc/windows environments anyways. im sure theres a few amd systems too running code.

if they cared about people spying on what was running, they'd use a complete fold out wall to hide their maintenance guys and hardware.

In one blog, they zoomed onto the card and plastered across it was "NVIDIA" in green text.

It's obvious it's some kind of high end Nvidia card, maybe a GTX 680 or GTX 780 if going by the fan shroud.

Looks like a new high end system built for the show.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/sections/56733/_1371234242.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oooh, I see it now.

It's the developer's decision to mislead consumers and lie about what hardware they use to demo it (prepare for some bait and switch action regarding graphics quality).

And it's my decision to not buy this crap.

If devs want to display their software on any other hardware that the software won't be running, then getting called out on it shouldn't make you as butthurt as you appear to be. You can do it, but it's deceptive and unnecessary.

Whether or not it is deceptive to use dev kits to demo games, it's not entirely a big issue.

However, to a lot of people it seems very deceptive. For example, if they demonstrate a game on the Xbox One that shows graphics better than what the console can muster with its more confined hardware specs, then it becomes a deceptive marketing tool.

"Hey, why aren't the graphics for [insert game here] look nowhere near to the E3 version?"

On the other hand, given that the Xbox One games are confined to a VM guest OS-- Xbox OS-- and the same can be said of PS4 games on a Linux-based guest OS-- they should, hopefully be confined to the specs very close to their console system.

As someone said above, a virtual machine is doing nothing more than emulate/virtualize the hardware components of the actual hardware.

In the case of Xbox One, I would not be surprised that the highly customized Hyper-V they're running on top of a Windows 8 Core kernel is the following:
  • Graphics hardware pass-through gives the guest OS (Xbox OS) direct access to the GPU.
  • Hardware pass-through to the network controller, peripherals, audio chip, and hard drive controller.
  • Works similar to the PS3 Hypervisor by providing a security layer between the games and Xbox OS, and the hardware itself.
  • Can be run on any Windows 8 system given it has the hardware necessary to run virtual machines on it-- Intel VT-x or AMD IOMMU capable processor; 8GB to 16GB of DDR3 RAM; and a Radeon HD 7850 or higher video card. AMD is a given since virtualization is enabled across practically its entire CPU lineup even down to its APU. It makes more sense why they went AMD and not Intel since Intel doesn't offer virtualization to a good majority of its CPU lineup.
Hence, why I said before and probably correct myself: If hackers managed to extract EITHER the Xbox OS OR the Hyper-V program from the firmware, you could "technically" run this on any Windows 8 system if your hardware is capable of virtualization.

Back