[Xbox One] Does your game freeze?

brncao

Limp Gawd
I've experienced this with assassin's creed unity and watch dogs. I've read several articles mentioning the Xbox has poor memory management resulting in memory leaks. The only way to deal with it is to do a cold boot; this purges the memory completely. Just let your game run for hours (i.e. more than 72 hours) and leave your console on stand-by. Did you experience your game freezing at some point?

I've only had my Xbox for maybe 3 weeks now and I can say that that has happened to me twice. I don't remember which games but yes, I have experienced a freezing. Hasn't happened the last 2 weeks though.

Off topic, but does anyone else's Xbox One have hairline scratches on the top of the glossy part? I have only ever stacked a few games up there and now that I see it it looks horrible even after a couple weeks... I can't imagine how bad it'll look in a couple months. Anything I can do about it at this point?

mine is a launch unit, haven't had issues with freezes, though I will sometimes get a failure to launch from the home screen for an app, switching to the Pins screen will normally make it work. though that may have had more to do with the controller.

no cracks on top either, though I rarely put anything more than a controller on top of it.

I have yet to have a game freeze, but like Nimisys, I have had a game or app fail to launch a couple times. I've also had an app crash where it suddenly takes me back to the home screen. That has only happened a couple times, and perhaps it's a product of being in the Preview Program, but I've never had a game actually freeze.

I have had this happen on Xbox one and PS4 and a clean reboot always fixes both. I found closing apps and a weekly reboot like you would a PC is not a bad habit

I always cold boot my One. I actually find it annoying that the "turn off" behavior can't be changed from the settings...

Anyway, the one time I did a regular standby boot after only 10 hours of downtime I experienced all sorts of problems with Forza 5. Ever since then I have had no crashes or other issues from doing cold boots.

No issues on XBOX one and my glossy surface is fine after launch. My PS4 has more issue than One and it basiclly sits there turned off. For me the One has been more stable and more useful so it gets the workout and i havent had any issues with stabilitt or build finish.

I've really only put serious playtime into KI and it has frozen several (3-4 times) on me.

Off topic, but does anyone else's Xbox One have hairline scratches on the top of the glossy part? I have only ever stacked a few games up there and now that I see it it looks horrible even after a couple weeks... I can't imagine how bad it'll look in a couple months. Anything I can do about it at this point?

Try and use some not gritty toothpaste as a polishing compoind and buff them out, thats what I do with scratched dvd's.

I've had KI freeze on me. The system wouldn't even turn back on and required a hard reboot.

I blame all of this quick resume shit the Xbox One has as a "feature."

Yes I Do. And I only have my controller placed on it.

My xone has frozen only once when I was playing halo mcc. Hit the home screen and switched back, then bam it froze.

My xone has frozen only once when I was playing halo mcc. Hit the home screen and switched back, then bam it froze.

Halo MCC is one of the buggiest games on the system. It's been getting weekly patches since launch and still has serious bugs...

I never get crashes. Halo : MCC has been the worst with 4 so far.

But NOTHING holds a candle to BF4 on the PS4 for about 7-8 months straight with blue screens and data corruption a total of 12 times. Lost my single player save 4 times.

So its all individual users experiences frankly.

I never get crashes. Halo : MCC has been the worst with 4 so far.

But NOTHING holds a candle to BF4 on the PS4 for about 7-8 months straight with blue screens and data corruption a total of 12 times. Lost my single player save 4 times.

So its all individual users experiences frankly.

Was BF4 not a problem for BOTH? I do recall that was the case. It was the actual game and not the system.

Funny thing I played thru full campaign of bf4 on both and never had any corruption.

If you Google it, it was a pretty big problem on both systems. Not an isolated incident.

I can attest to that problem as I had both systems at launch

If you Google it, it was a pretty big problem on both systems. Not an isolated incident.

I can attest to that problem as I had both systems at launch

I know it was just funny I played it twice and never had it happen , my nephew had it happen on ps4.

Never said it didn't happen ok try not to turn every reply into some war it was a comment of how I got thru with no issue twice.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/HisSvt2/Screenshot13.png

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/HisSvt2/Screenshot14.png

Last edited:
I have had the Sunset Overdrive white console since Nov 20 or so and have had a bunch of issues. The first two weeks I had it it worked great. I played it a ton and didn't run into any issues. I got really busy and didn't play it for a few weeks and since then I've had weird issue. Netflix will launch but as soon as I pick something to watch the xbox displays a black screen and completely shuts off. Sometimes when I try to open my Apps or Settings the xbox will hang on a black screen for 30 seconds with the icon or Apps or Settings and then crash to the home screen. Forza 2 has frozen on me a few times as well. I just don't get how the console went from being perfectly fine to not being able to use netflix.

I have had the Sunset Overdrive white console since Nov 20 or so and have had a bunch of issues. The first two weeks I had it it worked great. I played it a ton and didn't run into any issues. I got really busy and didn't play it for a few weeks and since then I've had weird issue. Netflix will launch but as soon as I pick something to watch the xbox displays a black screen and completely shuts off. Sometimes when I try to open my Apps or Settings the xbox will hang on a black screen for 30 seconds with the icon or Apps or Settings and then crash to the home screen. Forza 2 has frozen on me a few times as well. I just don't get how the console went from being perfectly fine to not being able to use netflix.

Do you use quick start? How often do you restart the system if you do? Do you close your apps or just jump from app to app? External storage? I've never had an issues a reboot didn't fix. I have 2 launch Xbox ones w\Kinect external storage. Also try clearing persistent storage in the Blu-ray settings and rebooting might try deleting Netflix clear that persistent storage reboot and reinstall it

Do you use quick start? How often do you restart the system if you do? Do you close your apps or just jump from app to app? External storage? I've never had an issues a reboot didn't fix. I have 2 launch Xbox ones w\Kinect external storage. Also try clearing persistent storage in the Blu-ray settings and rebooting might try deleting Netflix clear that persistent storage reboot and reinstall it

No external storage, usually just jump from app to app, I use quick start but cold booting does not fix the issue, never heard of the clearing persistent storage, reinstalling netflix did not fix the issue.

No external storage, usually just jump from app to app, I use quick start but cold booting does not fix the issue, never heard of the clearing persistent storage, reinstalling netflix did not fix the issue.

Clear persistent storage is a recommended thing with issues like this then reinstalling and then finally a full system wipe restore.

I'm in the preview program and a ambassador these are the recommended actions for troubleshooting. If issues persist you may need service.

I've experienced this with assassin's creed unity and watch dogs. I've read several articles mentioning the Xbox has poor memory management resulting in memory leaks. The only way to deal with it is to do a cold boot; this purges the memory completely. Just let your game run for hours (i.e. more than 72 hours) and leave your console on stand-by. Did you experience your game freezing at some point?

My son see this with NBA 2K15 every once in a while. Simple enough to power it all the way off, but still kind of silly for a console to behave like this. How hard is it to manage your memory on a single sku of hardware? :rolleyes:

I had issues with Detiny if I just powered down while in game. Once the console was turned back on and the game was resumed, it would be frozen, usually with stuck, stuttering sound. I learned to exit to the main menu, and quit the game before shutting down. The quick resume feature seems a bit buggy. I am in the preview program as well.

Back