Xbox One Pre-Orders Are Extremely High

HardOCP News

[H] News
While die-hard PS4 / XBO fanboys are still going at it in forums across the internet, everyone else seems to be pre-ordering their consoles.

And away from the forums, wider consumer reaction has been generally positive too, retailers claim. The console has topped pre-orders lists, with Blockbuster announcing that Xbox One is its fastest pre-ordered product in its 24 year history.

Xbox 360 is very popular in the US. I believe a lot of consumers are ignorant of what the One is delivering and blindly pre-order it.

The PS3 just surpassed 360 in sales recently (and united shipped in January), though launching a year later, I definitely expect the PS4 to sell more than One.

I believe a lot of consumers are ignorant of what the One is delivering and blindly pre-order it.

See, that's what I don't get. What if they do know what the One will deliver - a great gaming experience than the Xbox 360 with the new CoD, Madden, etc., and that's what they want? There hasn't been a lot of gaming shown on it, but what has been seen looks pretty nice (I'm not sold on it). Some people just want to play CoD on a great system, and have been treated well with the Xbox and Xbox 360 (I have).

Ignorant? No. Blindly pre-order? At this time, yes. But, they have some information on it - some gaming, what it can do, etc..

Honestly, I can't believe that the XB One was the record. I just KNEW it would have been Duke Nukem Forever!

I wonder how many preorders will be canceled once they announce the price. I don't think any major US retailers have preorders yet. The blockbuster.co.uk preorder is only a $20 deposit, so that's not a good indication of anything.

The PS3 just surpassed 360 in sales recently (and united shipped in January), though launching a year later, I definitely expect the PS4 to sell more than One.

that's nothing to really brag about, it took 6 or 7 years to "catch up" in sales (shipped doesn't mean shit btw).

Either way, as Microsoft has stated, that they want the next system to be the center of your entertainment in the living room. Not just games (as the terrible presentation showed), that itself will sell a considerable amount to the people who want something like that.

i think people just want to rag on MS for the PC style DRM
and frankly i dont care when was the last time i could buy a used game on PC

i really dont see it as an issue

the rest of what MS has to offer imo looks great

bigger issue imo is the fact i can turn off the kinect >.> im not sure i like the idea of it being on all the time

Well, it's depressing that people are pre-ordering based off of that XBO release announcement. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Neither console should have pre-orders right now.

I love how Xbox fans say they will jump ship too where Sony? Please that company has so many past issues with DRM, locked down systems, root kits, i guess everyone has a short memory.

This isn't news.

Blockbuster just started pre-orders for new systems this gen. Blockbuster is basing the pre-orders on a console with their pre-orders on software (and who the fuck pre-orders at a rental store?).

This is just people playing make believe.

I'll just leave this here.

Sheep_mouton.rebelle.jpg

i really dont see it as an issue

bigger issue imo is the fact i can turn off the kinect >.> im not sure i like the idea of it being on all the time

well as for the used games statements, i feel it's my duty to point out that PC games are typically 1/2 to 1/4 the price of their console equivalents. i will gladly pay $5 for batman: AA on steam to have forever and never be able to sell. i would not, however, have paid $40-60 much for batman: AA on xbox if it would have been locked to the console.

What "PC-style" DRM might that be? Right now, what's rumored for xb1 is definitely unique DRM.

1) Gog sells old games for $1.99 & up--DRM-free, too. That's generally cheaper than used.

2) Friends often trade game disks to save money. They each buy a game the other wants and they swap disks when they finish. The rumored, unique xb1 DRM would put a stop to such "immoral" shenanigans (nothing immoral about it--but charging people to run used games on their own hardware strikes me as fairly immoral, however.)

Problem is, it seems to be a software switch, easily overridden by the right hack. Microsoft should have designed in a mechanical, circuit switch for the camera & mic--which would be un-hackable.

There are entire websites devoted to telling you how to hack into cameras attached to devices connected to the Internet. Not only do they teach you how to defeat a software on/off switch, they even tell you how to defeat the "red" in-use light! That means you can think it's off, but it will really be looking at you the whole time. You can always throw a shirt or something over the lens I suspect--but what about the mic? Wearing a gag seems a bit extreme, but I suppose you could do that if you wanted to make sure...Nah, just don't buy an xb1.

(I can't think of anything it does that a PC doesn't do a lot better, anyway.)

What "PC-style" DRM might that be? Right now, what's rumored for xb1 is definitely unique DRM.

1) Gog sells old games for $1.99 & up--DRM-free, too. That's generally cheaper than used.

2) Friends often trade game disks to save money. They each buy a game the other wants and they swap disks when they finish. The rumored, unique xb1 DRM would put a stop to such "immoral" shenanigans (nothing immoral about it--but charging people to run used games on their own hardware strikes me as fairly immoral, however.)

Problem is, it seems to be a software switch, easily overridden by the right hack. Microsoft should have designed in a mechanical, circuit switch for the camera & mic--which would be un-hackable.

There are entire websites devoted to telling you how to hack into cameras attached to devices connected to the Internet. Not only do they teach you how to defeat a software on/off switch, they even tell you how to defeat the "red" in-use light! That means you can think it's off, but it will really be looking at you the whole time. You can always throw a shirt or something over the lens I suspect--but what about the mic? Wearing a gag seems a bit extreme, but I suppose you could do that if you wanted to make sure...Nah, just don't buy an xb1.

(I can't think of anything it does that a PC doesn't do a lot better, anyway.)

plays Xbox exclusives. :p

Might be like the Wii U, everyone loses their shit trying to buy one, and when they do it's meh, and sales plummet.

There are entire websites devoted to telling you how to hack into cameras attached to devices connected to the Internet.

And those devices include Android phones, where the camera, microphone, and GPS can be remotely activated without user awareness.

The phone seems far more dangerous, but what do I know?

See, that's what I don't get. What if they do know what the One will deliver -
I'm sure some do and love the idea of having a system that can play games and watch TV. That said, you still need your cable box, so switching between games and TV on the system isn't much of an advantage to switching between a system and cable input as it is now. So in order to do that they give up 3GB of system memory and have a less powerful GPU so that the money can be put in other features of the One. It's a gaming system that some can argue is seriously gimped compared to the competitor.

Now, having built in Internet TV is a nice touch.

that's nothing to really brag about, it took 6 or 7 years to "catch up" in sales (shipped doesn't mean shit btw)
Shipped more doesn't mean anything? What it means is more demand. It's not like stores are stacking PS3's up in the corner to help Sony ship more units. More demand = more store shelf space. Anyways, if you can't understand that, it's irrelevant, as the PS3 has surpassed the 360 in sales so if that's the only thing that matters, then it's obviously in favor of PS3.

And yes, it took 5 or 6 years to surpass the 360, but I beg to argue, think about how many people have purchased multiple 360's due to hardware failures? I personally know someone who bought 4 systems. While it's only one person, it's not that far reaching to assume the average 360 owner has bought 2 or 3 360's.

And those devices include Android phones, where the camera, microphone, and GPS can be remotely activated without user awareness.

The phone seems far more dangerous, but what do I know?

This is entirely incorrect. You would have to have an app installed in either the data partition (uninstallable) or the system partition (not uninstallable unless you have root privileges) to achieve this. And by installing such an app you are granting it the nesessary privileges needed to achieve the activation of camera, GPS and microphone.

So please, stop posting FUD.

This is entirely incorrect. You would have to have an app installed in either the data partition (uninstallable) or the system partition (not uninstallable unless you have root privileges) to achieve this. And by installing such an app you are granting it the nesessary privileges needed to achieve the activation of camera, GPS and microphone.

It is completely correct. Government does it all the time. See Roving Bug.

I've given up on Xbox. I began playing what is supposed to be the pinnacle of 360 games, Halo 4, and am literally bored to tears with these idiotic Prometheans.

It is completely correct. Government does it all the time. See Roving Bug.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/26/cell_hack_geek_spook_stalk/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2006/12/can_you_hear_me/

"Because modern handsets are miniature computers, downloaded software could modify the usual interface that always displays when a call is in progress. The spyware could then place a call to the FBI and activate the microphone--all without the owner knowing it happened. "

well as for the used games statements, i feel it's my duty to point out that PC games are typically 1/2 to 1/4 the price of their console equivalents. i will gladly pay $5 for batman: AA on steam to have forever and never be able to sell. i would not, however, have paid $40-60 much for batman: AA on xbox if it would have been locked to the console.

so who is to say that MS doesnt do the same thing

games cost what they do on consoles BECAUSE of used games
get rid of used games prices will come down like they have with steam

please watch this video by Total Biscuit that i 100% agree with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_f8YBy39M

Actually, he's correct about the GPS. I worked for a phone manufacturer who provided location based services on their Android and proprietary OS devices. If your phone's operating system has any sort of weather, traffic, or other location based service, your identifying number (ESN/MDN) and time stamped, geotagged data request are all stored in databases. No administrative privileges are required, since the service is already implemented in the operating system.

I don't care if my devices do this. But if you're one of the many squeaky wheels that demand privacy and the ability to abstain from participating in telemetry, you should be aware of this.

There are apps available for most smartphones that operate as a bug. Once the app is installed, it can receive calls without sending that call to the UI and doing the standard display/ring/vibrate. These apps are marketed under the guise of catching your cheating spouse. And they hide on the phone as popular or low profile apps. I haven't seen one that live streams the camera. But since it's entirely possible, it likely exists. No one can do that to your smartphone without installing the app. Now that Android / iOS accept remote installs, you can never be too sure whether or not your phone has been compromised.

I don't understand people who are desperate to preserve their privacy. It's a battle you can't win. Nearly every adult in America has a phone, tape recorder, camera, video camera, etc in their pocket, everywhere they go. Every major intersection and nearly all commercial buildings have video surveillance. Your phone keeps track of everywhere you go. Your computer and ISP track every webpage you visit. And all your electronic correspondence (email/text/etc) is stored on remote servers held by private companies that cooperate with law enforcement. And that doesn't even touch on all the information people willingly share on social networks.

XBOX One will put a camera and microphone in my living room that turns my entertainment center on and off. The convenience of that feature outweighs my nearly non-existent concern for privacy from Microsoft.

K I really don't get the hate, I am a pc gamer but am actually thinking about buying.

I just don't understand why you kids waste so much time and energy flaming every day. Don't like don't buy, either way no one cares.

You know why they call it the Xbox One? Because when you see it you turn one degr...

ahhh, nevermind

I really thought blockbuster went out of business.

I will be buying a PS4, but I'm not preordering it.

yes thats what im saying. if console games start selling for prices comparable to steam then i have no problem with them being locked to an account. or if there is a fee to activate a used game, then the price of that game should also be lowered appropriately.

fanboi flame wars are to be expected...

But pre-orders? Already? We don't even have a release date, though I would assume it to be around the holidays.

I will be doing the same thing I have always done... wait for everything to be released and make my decisions based on performance, games and other features (aka netflix).

I can say for certain I probably will skip any console that has a "membership" sub like xbox live where to even use Netflix you have to pay for service. I am fine with Sony's current PS3 implementation, even though it bugs me you have to pay to get auto-updates. I can live with that, I cannot live with paying a sub to use a basically unrelated 3rd party service like netflix.

Here, let me fix that for you:

Xbox One Pre-Order-ers Are Extremely High.

But pre-orders? Already? We don't even have a release date, though I would assume it to be around the holidays.

Remember the late 90's pre-orders for Duke Nukem Forever? At least the One is being released this year (hopefully!).

As one that has been excited for console releases in the past (Fucking Genesis, man!), I'm not super excited about the release of this. Maybe to see what it can do graphically, but I'm not biting at the bit to check it out. It won't be a day one purchase. But, maybe early next year.

After the initial glimpses at these two machines, I'm seriously looking at the Wii-U right now. They are great machines, but they aren't mind blowing. Depending on Nintendo's E3 lineup (Smash Bros, Pokemon, etc.), I might just pick one up next month.

while im not planning to get an xbox one at launch. if i see a few exclusives i like in the pipeline i might pick one up, and im sure my nieces will enjoy kinect enabled games.

im still a little curious what games MS will show at E3.

But i am very disappointed @ MS for not trying to push the hardware envelope.

Sony atleast looks like they are trying something possibly innovative going with full GDDR5.

looking at the system specs side by side there just isnt anything to be excited about in the Xbox.

I wonder how many preorders will be canceled once they announce the price. I don't think any major US retailers have preorders yet. The blockbuster.co.uk preorder is only a $20 deposit, so that's not a good indication of anything.

Yeah this is almost irrelevant because your gamestops and other retailers aren't taking any preorders till apparently after e3, which I assume because they'll be announcing the price for both there.

You've got to be insane to pre-order something without even knowing it's price.

i think most of the people pre-ordering are expecting a 499-599 price tag.

so unless MS drops a bomb shell with the price being 699+ i dont think they will see that many pre-order cancels i bet some of those pre orders are so people can buy and try to resell at a mark up if there is a shortage too.

"Pre-ordering" without a price, games or even a full feature list? I might as well poll my friends as to what console they're leaning towards and call that a "pre-order" list. Maybe I'll even beat last year's record!!!

I very much doubt that. I respect TB, but I think his opinion on this is wrong... or rather, extremely over optimistic. They are not going to lower prices. Look at steam, yes they lowered prices even in the early stages, but does Origin do much the same? I know they have bundles some times here and there, but nothing even close to Steam from what I hear. In all likelihood that's how MS is gonna go about it. Especially if it becomes more accepted as the norm.

I very much doubt that. I respect TB, but I think his opinion on this is wrong... or rather, extremely over optimistic. They are not going to lower prices. Look at steam, yes they lowered prices even in the early stages, but does Origin do much the same? I know they have bundles some times here and there, but nothing even close to Steam from what I hear. In all likelihood that's how MS is gonna go about it. Especially if it becomes more accepted as the norm.

then... consoles will die....

NO WAIT THEY WONT

because people JUST KEEP GIVING EA, MS AND SONY THERE MONEY since no one ever backs up there threats to not buy games or systems from x

Back