Xbox racing wheel

Sage2k

[H]ard|Gawd
So i hurt my thumb a while back and I think its sorta permanent. Recently I been playing alot of forza 2 and all the analog stick usage has been hurting my thumb. So i decided to suck it up and buy a wheel which i figured would make the game easier and more realistic to play.

I bought the MS wheels and pedals and so far its been very difficult.
Especially RWD cars, they are oversteering like crazy! In FWD cars I do much better but still am much slower than I am with controller.
Any particular setup and driving tips with the wheel?

I try I try! Im no noob to racing, but its difficult in this game

Forza 2 is quite okay with a wheel. But of course it´s another control input that requires recalibrating of your muscle memory. the Drive FX is NOT better. Logitech have for some reason a very strong fan base. But the Drive FX is really not a good racing wheel. If the G25 or DFP could be made G25 compatible it would be another story.

Unless you are prepared to shell out for the Fanatec Turbo S I would still despite not liking the MS FFB wheel at all have to say you made the right choice :(.

As for the wheel remember you aren´t supposed to go lock to lock. Very seldom you use the full lock. The more your turn the wheel the less grip you get in corners. Your aim should be to steer as little as possible and steer more with your throttle then with your wheel. smooth and think slow in fast out.

But well continue use it and it will give itself. As for me I did very similar lap times. Forza 2 is optimized for gamepads after all and is thus not perfect for the wheel. But you can surely be reasonable fast with it and it´s much more comfortable and natural to drive with a wheel :)

Make you feel connected with the car instead of remotely steering one.

What Oqvist speaks is the truth. I went from a gamepad to the MS wheel with forza 2, and had a similar experience.

You need to relearn the game. Start with basic low class cars, miatas, focuses, m3's(stock), drive tracks you are familiar with, or maybe turn on the suggested line, and run that track again and again. You need to use as little steering input as possible, turn slowly and precisely, slowly applying throttle and straighten the wheel out as you exit the turn.

Forza 2 is more difficult with the wheel. I have spent tons of time with both, and with certain cars I am still faster with the gamepad, but I love some cars with the wheel, particularly lower powered FWD cars, as they are a complete blast with the wheel.

the key to driving rwd cars is smooth acceleration.. turning on traction control will help as u learn the physics of driving rwd

if u find urself spinning out entering a turn.. keep the wheel straight and brake to the desired speed.. otherwise u'll find urself sliding out before the turn

during the turn.. keep a steady and constant foot on the gas to maintain speed.. careful not to accelerate too much as that will cause ur rear to slide out

then on exit, with the constant gas.. straighten out the wheel before u smoothly accelerate out of the corner

it's quite a switch when going from fwd/awd to rwd but it's rewarding once u learn the proper driving style

I strictly believe that you should disable all aids... It doesn´t help you it just create bad habits if you use them. In the end it´s faster if you disable traction control and such. For a gamepad you may have to use it because the poor precision of the analogue stick. Only aid you could possible use is abs braking. Braking is the hardest skill to learn in sim racing.

Another thing to remember you really really don´t want to enter a corner with locked wheels. Trailbraking is something you may learn when you get more confident with the braking :)

Back