XBOX360 Better on Gateway FPD2185W or Dell 2405FPW

GMaxx

Limp Gawd
I was just curious if the Xbox360 looks better on the Gateway FPD2185W or Dell 2405. I've read the discussions here on the fact that the CBox360 may be the problem when it comes to 1080i via component hookup.

However, I haven't seen anything specifically comparing the above two lcds when it comes to the XBox360. If anyone has seen it on both of these monitors then I'd appreciate your comments. I've got a Gateway FPD2185W sitting in front of me and am wondering whether to open it or go buy the Dell 2405.

Thanks for your comments!

I don't have the Gateway but I can assure you that it looks fantastic on the 2405. :)

GMaxx said:
I was just curious if the Xbox360 looks better on the Gateway FPD2185W or Dell 2405. I've read the discussions here on the fact that the CBox360 may be the problem when it comes to 1080i via component hookup.

However, I haven't seen anything specifically comparing the above two lcds when it comes to the XBox360. If anyone has seen it on both of these monitors then I'd appreciate your comments. I've got a Gateway FPD2185W sitting in front of me and am wondering whether to open it or go buy the Dell 2405.

Thanks for your comments!
No, the Xbox360 does not look good on the fpd2185w. The component output is too dark on the fpd2185w. The vga output does not allow for you to adjust the monitor scaling so the image looks stretched vertically.

Gmeister said:
No, the Xbox360 does not look good on the fpd2185w. The component output is too dark on the fpd2185w. The vga output does not allow for you to adjust the monitor scaling so the image looks stretched vertically.

I didn't know that you couldn't adjust the monitor scaling with the vga cable. I was just about to buy the XBOX360 vga cable.

I'm curious if the darkness on the component can be compensated for through the Nvidia panel controls. I thought I saw somewhere you could do this. If not then I might just go return this guy and grab a 2405 despite the fact I got it for $500. As I also wanted to hook up my hdtv signal through the component. I take it that hooking a HD source up via DVI doesn't produce this effect.

Thanks!

Gmeister said:

But the NV control panel (and I think ATI does too) lets you set those options.....

GMaxx said:
I didn't know that you couldn't adjust the monitor scaling with the vga cable. I was just about to buy the XBOX360 vga cable.

I'm curious if the darkness on the component can be compensated for through the Nvidia panel controls. I thought I saw somewhere you could do this. If not then I might just go return this guy and grab a 2405 despite the fact I got it for $500. As I also wanted to hook up my hdtv signal through the component. I take it that hooking a HD source up via DVI doesn't produce this effect.

Thanks!
No, the Nvidia control panel controls the output from your video card. It has no effect on the output from the Xbox360 system.

TheRapture said:
But the NV control panel (and I think ATI does too) lets you set those options.....
We're talking about Xbox360, not the PC. It WILL NOT WORK.

Gmeister said:
We're talking about Xbox360, not the PC. It WILL NOT WORK.

Don't get nasty....I just made a statement, it wasn't a personal attack.....

OK, so from what I can gather then the only way to affect the Xbox360 output quality is only through the controls on the LCD monitor itself. Thus, playing with the gamma or anything else in the control panel is useless.

I'm really wanting to keep the Gateway, but if it's sp dark that I can't play my XBox 360 on it then I guess I'll have to wait it out for something else unless something can be done about this. I've seen pictures for the component hookup on a Dell 2405 and they look almost just as dark.

Thanks!

TheRapture said:
Don't get nasty....I just made a statement, it wasn't a personal attack.....
Sorry about that. I didn't mean it as a comment to put you down. I just wanted to make clear that the nvidia CP doesn't control the Xbox360's output.

The problem has more to do with how the 360 outputs over component. I have all three consoles over component hooked up to the Gateway (via a JVC switch box), and I can tell you both the PS2 and GC look great... the 360 can be dark on some games (PGR3)... which is very strange I know. Hopefully MS does something about this with a console patch... if not, I've thought about trying the monster component cables... maybe they would work better (brighter)...

TheLastKamikaze said:
The problem has more to do with how the 360 outputs over component. I have all three consoles over component hooked up to the Gateway (via a JVC switch box), and I can tell you both the PS2 and GC look great... the 360 can be dark on some games (PGR3)... which is very strange I know. Hopefully MS does something about this with a console patch... if not, I've thought about trying the monster component cables... maybe they would work better (brighter)...

So, from eveybody's input and what I've read then it's the XBox360's internal problem for the darkness from component output. Thus, as far as this is concerned the Gateway or Dell would both exhibit the same problems.

Thus, I have to decide which monitor I really want. Decisions, Decisions.... :D

Thanks, for your comments!

Have you gone into the xbox360 settings and adjusted the brightness? Depending on the type of TV you pick (DLP, CRT, Plasma or LCD) the 360 adjusts the brightness. If I remember correctly, the plasma setting was the brightest of them all, but it's been awhile since I setup my 360.

ND40oz said:
Have you gone into the xbox360 settings and adjusted the brightness? Depending on the type of TV you pick (DLP, CRT, Plasma or LCD) the 360 adjusts the brightness. If I remember correctly, the plasma setting was the brightest of them all, but it's been awhile since I setup my 360.

You can only do this for certain games, correct? Not through the dashboard.

I thought it was through the dashboard, but it might have been within perfect dark, i'll have to check.

ND40oz said:
I thought it was through the dashboard, but it might have been within perfect dark, i'll have to check.[/QUOTE

Yeah, some games like Gun allow you to adjust the brightness within the game.

Back