XBOX360 getting 1080p upgrade

Unless games can use the HD-DVD drive in the future, I don't think any games will do 1080p natively.

Still, this is awsome news for the people that have 1080p TVs or computer monitors (Dell 2405 + Xbox 360 = :eek: ) hooked up to their Xbox 360.

Oh yes, good news indeed. Im using a 2405fpw for my 360, but a quick question.

Its probably a bit obvious (im a bit of a techno novice) The Dell will support 1080p, especially over component?

Thanks!

Sorry, no HDMI cable yet (or ever?), though, this is only over component and VGA. Users can expect 1080p upscaling immediately on current games and DVDs and native 1080p on compatible HD DVD titles, but Microsoft hasn't yet announced future games that will rock 1080p natively.

Woot, my 2407WFP will run 1080p w/ the VGA cable. :D

While I don't really care about 1080p support because its marketing non-sense, hopefully now the PS3 !!!!!!s will stfu about 1080p vs 720p. Decent Price for HD-DVD playback.

Can't do 1080p over component....so I guess this means we'll be seeing that hdmi 1.3 cable from MS for the 360 in the near future :)

You can in fact do 1080p over component - but most TVs don't accept it. However, you _can_ do it over VGA on pretty much all of them. Quality won't be quite as good as DVI/HDMI, but it ought to be fine.

This does give some new fodder for the old "will there be an HDMI cable?" argument, though.

michealo said:
waiting for the internal HD-DVD drive model

...dont hold your breath. If Microsoft ever does release a 360 with an internal HD-DVD drive it wont be for at least another 2-3 years, when the price of the drive wont be a big factor in the cost of the unit.

i actually expected the hd-dvd add-on to be cheaper than the currently expected 200 list price in the US... since w/ the add-on... 360+hd-dvd = 500/600...

and yeah yeah, gamers dont need the add-on... but thats not my point

l177l3d said:
i actually expected the hd-dvd add-on to be cheaper than the currently expected 200 list price in the US... since w/ the add-on... 360+hd-dvd = 500/600...

and yeah yeah, gamers dont need the add-on... but thats not my point

But if you think in terms of people who want an HD-DVD player, 200 bucks is 300 dollars cheaper than just a stand alone player. And you can still play 360 games. So all in all it is still cheaper than getting a stand alone player.

DeathCloud said:
But if you think in terms of people who want an HD-DVD player, 200 bucks is 300 dollars cheaper than just a stand alone player. And you can still play 360 games. So all in all it is still cheaper than getting a stand alone player.

im with u on this one... my reference was in comparison to sony, since now the price is the same... 360+hd-dvd or PS3+blu-ray... both are 600... but only under the condition that the consumer is looking for an hd-movie player

its odd how similar the 360 and the PS3 really are now

Will Xbox 360 games upscaled to 1080P by the console itself look better than it does when the monitors upscale them?

randy5554 said:
Will Xbox 360 games upscaled to 1080P by the console itself look better than it does when the monitors upscale them?

Well, for the 1920x1200 displays out there, 1920x1080 can be displayed without any stretching whatsoever...so yes, basically, it should look better if the console is doing the upscaling and then sending it up to the monitor.

Anyone else find it kinda funny that the 360, almost a year after launch, is finally catching up to the functionality the PS3 has.....even though it's not even released yet? :p

Seriously, not trying to start a flame war. Just saying.
I'm not in either "camp". I owned a 360 and sold it since it didn't have
enough games I was interested in at this time, but I plan to get another one somewhere down the road.

Also, it's cool that the high definition drive is an add-on so that people that don't want that functionality don't have to pay as much for the system as a whole (like you do with the PS3), but really, anyone that's gonna buy that add-on drive has no more right to complain about the PS3 price since they're basically paying the same.

I do think MS' add-on approach was better, but I'm sure the PS3 will still sell out on launch.

the addon sustem may be good for the consumer because it allow syou to have multiple versions at varying price points, but its bad for the developer, which results in bad for consumer. by setting a minimum, then all the games developed need to stay within that minimum capability.
in other words, even with 1080p available, the games still need to be developed on dvds and with no hard drive support. this stunts development somewhat as you can only fit so many videos, textures, sounds... on a dvd, and the lack of hard drive means you also have to arrange it in such a way for it to be streamed easily.
good thing for x360 owners, but we will see if there is any support from third party developers. at least with ps3 that was the goal all along, and third parties are already using that standard if they want.

For existing games it'll probably just halve the frame rate to 30fps for 1080p and then new games can be programmed to support it.

Isn't Xbox360 1080p about just upscaling so the image can get better for the owners of HDTVs that support it?

I don't think it has anything to do with the original resolution of the contents played...

Sephiros said:
Isn't Xbox360 1080p about just upscaling so the image can get better for the owners of HDTVs that support it?

I don't think it has anything to do with the original resolution of the contents played...
apparently it will upscale current stuff to 1080 and also allow any stuff designed in 1080p to be displayed that way. be it hddvds, games...

rfwinters77 said:
Anyone else find it kinda funny that the 360, almost a year after launch, is finally catching up to the functionality the PS3 has.....even though it's not even released yet? :p

Finally catching up to the functionality of something that doesn't exist yet? Hardly makes any sense. Not to mention that if the functionality only needed a software update to unlock, it bascially means the Xbox360 was never behind because the functionality was there to begin with, it just wasn't available.

rfwinters77 said:

Do you find it funny that the PS3 is needlessly going to cost $600 instead of $350 or so, just to force feed Blu-ray into as many households as possible so Sony can claim a larger install base and win the HD/Blu-ray war?

Seriously though I don't think of it as "catching up" because HD-DVD drives really weren't even ready when the 360 came out, and the $400 price tag was high enough as it was.

Also, it's cool that the high definition drive is an add-on so that people that don't want that functionality don't have to pay as much for the system as a whole (like you do with the PS3), but really, anyone that's gonna buy that add-on drive has no more right to complain about the PS3 price since they're basically paying the same.

True for the first part, but not so much for the second since I may want to buy the HD-DVD add on, but that doesn't mean I immediately want Blu-ray as well. PS3 is taking the decision away from me to chose which I prefer at the moment.

rfwinters77 said:
On the subject of 1080p... it's marchitecture (look it up). Sounds nice and even though MS and Sony will hardly use it, MS needs to support so sales people can't use it as a differentiator. Other than that, you do realise that HD-DVD and Blu-ray weren't actually released when the 360 was?

Personally I think it's cool that we can now see new functionality in consoles through firmware updates.

Psychotext said:
Isn't that going to be a problem for the standard PS3 too?

Yes on both counts. Even 1080p native TV's tend to accept that signal solely over HDMI. There are a couple that will take it over component, but not many.

Jason

Well mine accepts it over HDMI, both DVI connections, and 2 components connections.

I have a westinghouse 47' 1080P (1920 X 1080) display, and it's the same for ALL 1080p models from westinghouse...

So I'm pretty sure higher end models (which means a LOT of units) handle that too...

I don't see why a manufacturer would limit 1080p to only a couple of it's inputs, I really don't see why.

dopefishzzz said:
Well mine accepts it over HDMI, both DVI connections, and 2 components connections.

I have a westinghouse 47' 1080P (1920 X 1080) display, and it's the same for ALL 1080p models from westinghouse...

So I'm pretty sure higher end models (which means a LOT of units) handle that too...

I don't see why a manufacturer would limit 1080p to only a couple of it's inputs, I really don't see why.

samsungs also accept it from all inputs. i think the restrictions existed on some early 1080p sets, but as we see new models and new generations hitting the market this is no longer an issue.
i wonder if the ps3 will play nice with an hdmi passthrough receiver.

Psychotext said:
On the subject of 1080p... it's marchitecture (look it up). Sounds nice and even though MS and Sony will hardly use it, MS needs to support so sales people can't use it as a differentiator. Other than that, you do realise that HD-DVD and Blu-ray weren't actually released when the 360 was?

Personally I think it's cool that we can now see new functionality in consoles through firmware updates.

Do you have any idea what "marchitecture" actually is?

marchitecture is the term referring to "micro architecture" or the actual physical design of a computer chip. 1080p has absolutely nothing to do with the marchitecture of any of the chips on the 360 aside from the fact that the GPU can upscale to 1080p if it wants to (or just about any other resolution for that matter).

Erasmus354 said:
Do you have any idea what "marchitecture" actually is?

Do you have any idea that a word can mean more than one thing? (Even though I couldn't find any reference to micro architecture).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchitecture
Marchitecture is a term given to any form of architecture perceived to have been produced purely for marketing reasons. It may be used by a vendor to place itself in such a way as to promote all their strongest abilities whilst simultaneously masking their weaknesses.

dopefishzzz said:

rock on brother, I've got the 42" Westy!

Quick question on how this will work exactly. Will you need to play the games via the HD-DVD drive to get 1080? or will the update via live give you that ability with the internal drive?

The fall dashboard update will be delivering the 1080p resolution. HD-DVD is totally separate - there's no reason you need HD-DVD to display at 1920x1080, as any PC gamer knows already. There has been _talk_ of delivering hybrid HD-DVD/DVD games that would have higher-resolution cutscenes when played in HD-DVD mode, but I don't know the truth of that.

-Erwos

1080p over vga w/ the fw900 is....glorious! I was almost sure I would be stuck w/ 720p over the vga cable.

Back