XCOM 2 announced....PC Exclusive

Posted this in another forum, but I'll ask here at the [H], too.

Was about to pick up the steam/pc version from GMG (debating between the standard at $46 and digital deluxe for $58), but spotted the vanilla version on sale for $35.88 at some British site called Funstock Digital (used coupon code: JAN-COUPAW-SMART10).

Anyone got any experience with them? A quick search says they've been around since ~2013 and indicates they're legit.

Posted this in another forum, but I'll ask here at the [H], too.

Was about to pick up the steam/pc version from GMG (debating between the standard at $46 and digital deluxe for $58), but spotted the vanilla version on sale for $35.88 at some British site called Funstock Digital (used coupon code: JAN-COUPAW-SMART10).

Anyone got any experience with them? A quick search says they've been around since ~2013 and indicates they're legit.
No, but I've used kinguin before, that's about how much I paid for it. Steer clear of g2a.

Gamespot has a preview of some of the day 1 mods from the Long War mod team that's going to be available on release.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xcom-2-launch-day-mods-from-long-war-team-revealed/1100-6434358/

The first of these mods is one adding submachine guns--or at least an XCOM-style version of submachine guns (pictured in the gallery above) that fill their role. They are used by soldiers who can equip assault rifles and present a tradeoff, not unlike what's seen in the modder's Enemy Within mod, The Long War. They provide a mobility bonus and make it more difficult for you to be detected.

Next is a mod adding new enemies, such as a larger Muton with perks that support nearby aliens. These enemies will also behave in their own unique ways in order to take advantage of their abilities.

The third launch mod introduces a new development path for soldiers. It's described as a "leader mod" and is said to be similar to the officer mod seen in The Long War. It allows you to train high-rank soldiers with new abilities that help the team, such as one that gives a mobility bonus for one turn to nearby allies.

The way this works is compared to how Psionic classes functioned in Enemy Within, where there is an additional set of choices on top of a soldier's base class. There are, of course, some tradeoffs; not only will it take time and money to build these leaders up, but only one can be deployed on a mission at a time except in "some very special circumstances."

These mods were designed to work independently of each other and slot right into the base game's campaign without upsetting its balance. They'll be available for free from the Steam Workshop on XCOM 2's launch day, February 5.

I am definitely jonesing for some XCOM 2. Loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within. I even have it on my phone.

The game is really fun but holy shit the performance is terrible. Maxed out I can't even reach 60fps during missions and in the Avenger my performance is in the 20s. I'm only playing at 1920x1080 as well....On a bloody 980 ti. What the hell Firaxis?

The game is really fun but holy shit the performance is terrible. Maxed out I can't even reach 60fps during missions and in the Avenger my performance is in the 20s. I'm only playing at 1920x1080 as well....On a bloody 980 ti. What the hell Firaxis?

Wow..that bad? :(:eek:

doh! I forgot about Firaxis' usual issues on release

Yeah, I am waiting for a month or performance patch or two. It looks like it is great otherwise.

Is it night and day difference?

As far as FPS goes? Yes. I want from 40-50s in missions to upwards of 80fps by dropping down to FXAA. Above 60 in the Avenger as well. I didn't really notice a big difference in visual quality either.

Reading a lot of bad stuff about optimization of this game. Think I'll wait until they patch it up a couple times. Suck, as I was really looking forward to it. How do they screw up optimization on a PC exclusive? They can't even claim that porting it from consoles wasn't as easy as they thought....

Reading a lot of bad stuff about optimization of this game. Think I'll wait until they patch it up a couple times. Suck, as I was really looking forward to it. How do they screw up optimization on a PC exclusive? They can't even claim that porting it from consoles wasn't as easy as they thought....

Not sure why. I'm running this on a 970 and it runs like butter.

Not sure why. I'm running this on a 970 and it runs like butter.

My R9 290 was running the tutorial mission like butter also. The game set everything to the highest settings; even MSAA 8x. I didn't monitor my frame rate though. Going to try again tonight to play. These Hydrocodone pills are killing my vibe.

I find the timer on most missions to drastically improve the gameplay. Even if you play cautiously, you still usually end up having a few extra turns to spare and makes for more interesting approaches versus overwatch leaping your way to victory like in the previous games. Anyone's that beaten ironman/impossible in the previous game knows how tedious overwatching your way through every single map was since it was the only viable way.

I find the timer on most missions to drastically improve the gameplay. Even if you play cautiously, you still usually end up having a few extra turns to spare and makes for more interesting approaches versus overwatch leaping your way to victory like in the previous games. Anyone's that beaten ironman/impossible in the previous game knows how tedious overwatching your way through every single map was since it was the only viable way.

I like the timer as well. It's pretty much how I played EU/EW/LW anyway. I get bored moving a step, overwatch, move a step, overwatch, repeat. I find it more fun to move forward further and have to adapt to the new situations that come up when you do that. It makes it feel more tense to me. That said the timer on some missions is a tad short, so the mod to increase the time is quite nice.

Timed missions was a no buy for me as well. I can't stand them because they force me to play a way I don't want or like to play. If you want to play fast then by all means play fast and rush things. You don't need a timer to do that. Glad there is a mod for it since I enjoy xcom and will put it back on my list.

Did the fix the teleporting spawns? I hated clearing an area and or having a group of aliens suddenly teleport in right next to my team.

Timed missions was a no buy for me as well. I can't stand them because they force me to play a way I don't want or like to play. If you want to play fast then by all means play fast and rush things. You don't need a timer to do that. Glad there is a mod for it since I enjoy xcom and will put it back on my list.

Did the fix the teleporting spawns? I hated clearing an area and or having a group of aliens suddenly teleport in right next to my team.

I can agree to some extent... like say making you skip tons of content to make it in time, but this is hardly it. And from the videos I've seen, they give you plenty of time. While it's not infinite, it generates a good amount of urgency.

Well, then, I will get it when they fix performance issues and drop the price way down from $80.00 CAD. Maybe in two years. :)

I had that concern at first but it really does give you a sense of urgency to get the job done and stop messing around. Every move is a thought out process and you even have to think a few turns ahead. Ultimately it rewards proper planning, risk taking and proper execution.

Timed does suck for some missions but I think it's a welcomed change. Really gives a sense of urgency and the feel of, you're just a rag tag resistance group, the aliens have been here 20 years to assimilate and brain wash the people. Rebels vs Empire feel.

I'm finding the timer enhances the gameplay a bit...I've had a couple of missions where I was trying to sneak my way around and set up the whole assault only to discover I only had four turns to make something happen and shit got wild, quick. having to improvise and accept the changing/unknown circumstances seems very realistic in that sense. of course making your presence known and having the enemies scatter and take cover only for them to find they are already surrounded is also awesome :D

so far I like the maps more too.

Just like I don't like speed chess I also don't like timed missions in strategy games either. That is probably why I am not much of a fan of RTS games unless they have pause and play. I even use a hack for those Wargame http://store.steampowered.com/app/222750/ games that allows me to drastically reduce game speed so I can mull over the strategy aspects more. Lots of people complained that they want pause and play in those games but the developers refuse to listen to the customer so we hack it instead.

Usually I am opposed to all kinds of time limited gameplay elements and I had reservations about this for Xcom 2 also. So far I've been able to get "Flawless" results on all missions (no injuries, collect all items, kill all aliens) even with the turn time limit. Admittedly I do save scum fairly frequently to get the optimal results, I'm a bit OCD like that.

My biggest threat so far is not moving fast enough to contact new areas on the Geoscape and counter the Avatar Project.

I'll wait until the patch it a few times and it's on a steam sale. :D

Back