Xeon CPU upgrade path

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
I bought a machine that has Xeon MP 1.6ghz/512KB L2/1MB L3/400mhz FSB Foster CPUs in it. The machine did not have any doc with it and it is an unlabel machine( not marked with Dell, HP, IBM, etc ). I have been able to track down that machine uses numerous Intel parts( like system fans, raid cage, and I believe motherbaord ).

Any ways, my question is what CPUs would be compatiable with the Fosters that are currenlty in?

Keith

You can def step up to a 2Ghz Xeon but i'm not sure after that. I do know that the fastest socket 603 processor available is a 3Ghz xeon but it's a "Prestonia"

After a little research, i Have found the server I got. It is a Gateway 995 series. It has 603 sockets.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO/MOTHERBD/4000847/4000847fp.shtml

It says it supports up to 512KB L1/2MB L3 chips. So would any Foster or Gallatin core work as long as it is 400FSB and has the cache size limits? The MB also has the ServerWorks Grand Champion HE ServerSet chipset.

Keith

So would any Foster or Gallatin core work as long as it is 400FSB and has the cache size limits?

You can add a matching pair of 1.6GHz 512MB/1MB Gallatin MPs ... or pull the existing set of processores and replace them with one or two pairs of Gallatin MPs up to 2.8GHz 512MB/2MB (perhaps 3.0GHz 512MB/4MB) ... you want all the processors to be the same speed/cache if not the same sSpec.

Note: The higher end 400MHz FSB Xeon MPs still command some serious $$$ ... supply and demand.

You can add a matching pair of 1.6GHz 512MB/1MB Gallatin MPs ... or pull the existing set of processores and replace them with one or two pairs of Gallatin MPs up to 2.8GHz 512MB/2MB (perhaps 3.0GHz 512MB/4MB) ... you want all the processors to be the same speed/cache if not the same sSpec.

Note: The higher end 400MHz FSB Xeon MPs still command some serious $$$ ... supply and demand.

Currently the beast has four 1.6ghz/512KB/1MB Fosters in it. I am eyeing two pairs of matching 2.5ghz/512/2MB Gallatins on crap-bay for $300.

Keith

Back