XFX 290X 4GB for $290

I have 45 XFX 290s in my not-running-at-the-moment mining farm and just about every single one of them had crapped out fans after roughly 7 months of mining, even at max 70% RPMs.

The coolers themselves were decent, and the cards were of high quality (no HW/PCB failures) - i just woudn't trust the fans!!

I have 45 XFX 290s in my not-running-at-the-moment mining farm and just about every single one of them had crapped out fans after roughly 7 months of mining, even at max 70% RPMs.

The coolers themselves were decent, and the cards were of high quality (no HW/PCB failures) - i just woudn't trust the fans!!

Last xfx card I had they shipped out a replacement fan for me and let me do the work myself which was awesome. Did they do the same for you? Decent deal Op. If I hadn't just paid taxes I'd be buying one of these right now

Last xfx card I had they shipped out a replacement fan for me and let me do the work myself which was awesome. Did they do the same for you? Decent deal Op. If I hadn't just paid taxes I'd be buying one of these right now

Yep - they gave me this option, as well as the option to ship the card(s) in and get them to put the fans in. I would pop in every other day or so and keep an eye on the fans - when i saw em wobbling or having trouble spinning up, or not spinning at all - yank it, file the RMA, and ship it out.

There are/were the Double Dissipation type.

Even if you get stiffed on the rebate, you are still picking up the 290x for just under $300. Not a bad deal at all!

But can it run Crysis???;)

Those look like the same fans the Sapphire Tri-X cards are using (3 of them) and they're known for being wonky.

The 90mm Sapphire Dual-X 7950 fans work too.

I was quite frankly stunned that by the end of the mining run, i had effectively replaced nearly 100 fans on mostly my XFX 290s and MSI R9 270s. I knew well enough not to run any of my RPMs over 80%, but that didn't help matters.

The MSI 270 fans were also nearly as bad. With the MSI cards i just went out and bought a bunch of Artic Accelero Mono Plus's cause i had had enough of the fan replacement crap. Awesome coolers too. The 270s didn't break 55C @ 1100/1500 with extra volts.

So, watch out for those MSI R9 270 fans too!!

Did you guys make your money back mining?

I did, with ~9K over the top. Invested approximately ~60k, came out with roughly 70. Blackcoin, Darkcoin, and 42 were my primary scores. LTC would have been a nice one too if i had not dumped my ~1k stash when they crossed the $13 mark on to that $43 peak.

The ironic part is that if i had sold at the right time for those Blackcoin, Darkcoin, and 42 and a few others, i would have easily doubled my hardware investment. I know one fellow who bought a brand new 2013 Impala with his Blackcoin score.

Last edited:
I did, with ~9K over the top. Invested approximately ~60k, came out with roughly 70. Blackcoin, Darkcoin, and 42 were my primary scores. LTC would have been a nice one too if i had not dumped my ~1k stash when they crossed the $13 mark on to that $43 peak.

The ironic part is that if i had sold at the right time for those Blackcoin, Darkcoin, and 42 and a few others, i would have easily doubled my hardware investment. I know one fellow who bought a brand new 2013 Impala with his Blackcoin score.

Sell me one of your 290s that's just sitting there? :D

I should have done this. Amazon jacked up prices too when the newegg deal ended.

Glad i got my xfx 290 when i did. Bought it here used a while back for $190. No issues even with a decent oc and it being a non x version.

Back