XFX 5770 Problems!!!

Or he can continue carrying on like a 2 year old and just get coddled by the rest of you new guys. It’s up to him.

Was that a poke? *jab jab* :p

Forgive me if kindness offends you. My mother taught me that if I didn't have anything nice to say...you must know this one?

/facetiousness

In all seriousness though, I'd rather coddle than throw gas on the fire. Doesn't kill me to be kind/compassionate. *shrug*

Wow some people ate an entire bowl of Douche-O's for breakfast. lol. Whatever. Basically, here is the short version of this:

1.) I pay $165 for card
2.) ......I wait over a month to open it, this is my fault, honestly, but it gets busy in my shop
3.) I finally try card. Card is DOA, no display at all.
4.) After a lengthy wait (I'm used to NewEgg's turnarounds on stuff) XFX finally sends me a new card (by the way I didn't mention it before but the box was hacked up, so either it was NOT a new card, or the FedEx dude was playing hockey with it Ace Ventura style.
4a.) it takes a while to figure out that I can't have it left at my place I need to be there to sign for it (supposedly there is a waiver for this, I NEVER was given the option, and have all correspondence to prove it.) So after taking a day off work for no reason....
5.) New card works for 5 minutes at a time, then either grey screens or VPU recover happens
6.) XFX says in order to ship me another card, I have to provide cc# info. Keep in mind I'm already out like $18 to ship them the first one. I have to not only pay another $18 to send this back, but give them my cc#??? wtf? At this point I've spent $200, so really they should be mailing my a 5830, but they refuse to do so, surprise surprise.
7.) I am now well over a month out with no card, and am glad I spent $165 and have nothing to show for it yet.

XFX has made almost no effort to escalate or hurry this up. In my 31 years I've never had anything I returned take more than 11 days start to finish to get me a working product. SO to my way of thinking this place is bottom of the barrel. At this point I've given up, and barring some magical appearance here by XFXSupport offering to just ship me a 5830, I will just post my RMA thread from XFXForce.com online for everyone to see, since that's the real proof this place is crap.

Last edited:
I guess I would fall under your opinion of eating the breakfast of champions as I see:

1) Failed to register or try the card within 30 days for lifetime warranty, was not the intended owner. Required RMA support as op could no longer return it, but not a big deal as they still provide you 1 year of support.
2) 7-21-10 RMA approved and mailed the product to XFX.
3) 7-29-10 XFX sent a new replacement (If you include 5 days shipping and op sent it on 7/21, XFX had it one day.)
So they sent me a brand new card, it's on the way here! Turnaround time was less than a week. I am impressed so far... :)
4) 8-5-10 OP was unaware that a signature was required. This is too lengthy to the op as this is 11 business day turn around including ground shipping time both ways (So ground shipping both ways -1 day) Replacement Card non-operational. Symptoms are similar to misconfigured system. Requested an Upgrade, XFX refused.
6) XFX willing to cross ship but will require a CC#.

I find it hard to believe "In my 31 years I've never had anything I returned take more than 11 days start to finish to get me a working product". Many big vendors, example asus, quote 14 business days for RMA length not including shipping times. XFX sent you another product in 11 business days including shipping time. That's pretty exceptional for RMA replacements. You even indicated the same originally.

You could have a bunk card, but at the same time those symptoms can also be a misconfigured system or failing memory. The CC# they are requesting is probably due to them expediting the replacement via cross shipping.

Either case good luck and crap happens. No vendor is obligated to provide you free upgrades because of a defective product. Many will also send you a refurbished product as a replacement.

It's very clear your upset and want to blame the world for your bad luck. However, I don't see how XFX is failing here. Guess I'll go back to my breakfast:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I guess I would fall under your opinion of eating the breakfast of champions as I see was:

1) Failed to register or try the card within 30 days for lifetime warranty, was not the intended owner. Required RMA support as op could no longer return it, but not a big deal as they still provide you 1 year of support.
2) 7-21-10 RMA approved and mailed the product to XFX.
3) 7-29-10 XFX sent a new replacement (If you include 5 days shipping and he sent it on 7/21, XFX had it one day.)

4) 8-5-10 OP was unaware that a signature was required. This is too lengthy to the op as this is 11 business day turn around including ground shipping time both ways (So ground shipping both ways -1 day) Replacement Card non-operational. Symptoms are similar to misconfigured system. Requested an Upgrade, XFX refused.
6) XFX willing to cross ship but will require a CC#.

I find it hard to believe "In my 31 years I've never had anything I returned take more than 11 days start to finish to get me a working product". Many big vendors, example asus, quote 14 business days for RMA length not including shipping times. XFX sent you another product in 11 business days including shipping time. That's pretty exceptional for RMA replacements. You even indicated the same originally.

You could have a bunk card, but at the same time those symptoms can also be a misconfigured system or failing memory. The CC# they are requesting is probably due to them expediting the replacement via cross shipping.

Either case good luck and crap happens. No vendor is obligated to provide you free upgrades because of a defective product. Many will also send you a refurbished product as a replacement.

It's very clear your upset and want to blame the world for your bad luck. However, I don't see how XFX is failing here. Guess I'll go back to my breakfast:rolleyes:

I agree with you.

Without first hand knowledge it is hard to say who is the majority holder of blame here.

What I can say, is that you need to be patient.

My RMA experience took 4 months to finally resolve the issue (special circumstances). I was willing to take any steps they recommended, and only when the suggestions became few and far between did I get vocal/annoyed.

Are you sure its not your mother board? What kind of PSU do you have? Everything is in correctly? Seems really strange (or at least very rare) for the replacement card to be DOA.

They send it signature required because SO MANY LOSERS ruin it for everyone and claim they never got it, and there is no way to prove it so UPS or FED EX has to pay for these thieves. So to everyone who has to have a signature even though there are plenty of good places to put the package for a secure delivery, you can thank all the ungrateful thieves that have ruined it for all of us. Because it is a pain for 99% of people that work for a living and pay for stuff honestly.

Anyways, I hope it all works out for you.

P.S. I see your RMA was DOA. Most of the cards sent out as replacements, especially DOA replacements, are tested. As time goes on, I'm seeing more and more people that go through 2-4 RMA's, which never happened back in the day, most people who had DOA cards spent the time and a lot of trial and error, we got them going, don't give up and research other experiences like this one, and see how people fixed it. Try what you can for latest chipset drivers, BIOS, and tweak the BIOS settings, T&E if you have to.

Yeah maybe I just have a higher standard for customer service. This place clearly is sending the message that hey we have your money already so we don;t really care if you ever get a working card, we're just gonna keep sending you broken ones. In my way of thinking, If I get a bad product, the company should bend over backwards trying to make me think they actually care so I'll buy their stuff again. That hasn't even remotely happened here, with two bad cards, failed deliveries that took time away from my busy day, tying up my money, and now crickets from the company as far as getting me anywhere with this. Also, why not send me a new card?? And test it to make sure it works? I got a beat up box with a card that clearly wasn't new and doesn't work. I just want to put this here to make sure that lots of people understand what I went through, and will think twice about buying from this place. If XFX is going to waste my time, I want to cost them some business.

Edit: in response to the above statement about signature required, I have never encountered this before and I've had countless thousands of things shipped to me from dozens of vendors. Fail. :/ Who seriously has time to sit at home waiting for a delivery? I mean, for real??

Edit: in response to the above statement about signature required, I have never encountered this before and I've had countless thousands of things shipped to me from dozens of vendors. Fail. :/ Who seriously has time to sit at home waiting for a delivery? I mean, for real??

Every single item I have ever had delivered by FedEX or USP has required a signature. As I said before, the failure was in your end to not include the signature waiver with your original card. It was part of the PDF package that came with the RMA documents from XFX.

From my understanding XFX being a service center only, will never send a new card, only refurbished, since they do not have access to anything else. Also, they cannot/will not reimburst funds.

Also, little known fact: If you are not the last response on your ticket with XFX it does not appear in their active queue, so they will no respond, and I found as my case dragged out more and more that I was no longer being notified of any case updates. This meant I was unaware that I was no longer the last post on my case, and thus I got weeks of no response. Additionally, they have an automated system that will post generic comments like "Keep us posted" and "We will look into it".

I just started saying "OK" after everything, and checked it daily until resolved.

From my understanding XFX being a service center only, will never send a new card, only refurbished, since they do not have access to anything else. Also, they cannot/will not reimburst funds.

Also, little known fact: If you are not the last response on your ticket with XFX it does not appear in their active queue, so they will no respond, and I found as my case dragged out more and more that I was no longer being notified of any case updates. This meant I was unaware that I was no longer the last post on my case, and thus I got weeks of no response. Additionally, they have an automated system that will post generic comments like "Keep us posted" and "We will look into it".

I just started saying "OK" after everything, and checked it daily until resolved.

While the RMA returns I got from XFX did not come in retail packaging, it came in the cardboard box that is inside the retail liner and everything appeared brand new. The card looked new, it even had the plastic protective sticker on the shroud. It might have been refurbished though, who knows.

Back