XFX 8600 GT XXX - way too loud

SycoraX

Limp Gawd
I've recently purchased this card for my HTPC, and i was completely shocked how loud this thing is. It completely dominates any other fans inside the case. My XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog is wayyy quieter while being a few times faster, so I really don't get it. Newegg won't take it back without restocking fee, and it's pretty stupid to waste another $30-$40 on GPU cooler on a $100 video card. Any ideas what I could do? The sucker runs pretty hot too, idling at around 50C. I tried adjusting fan speed with nTune and Windows Vista, but oddly it makes absolutely no difference :confused:

depending on the connector of the fan, maybe get a zalman fanmate to manually slow down the fan. also maybe take off the heatsink and reapply artic silver.

u should have really bought a different 8600 gt. i have a gigabyte one, its passive.

depending on the connector of the fan, maybe get a zalman fanmate to manually slow down the fan. also maybe take off the heatsink and reapply artic silver.

u should have really bought a different 8600 gt. i have a gigabyte one, its passive.

Good idea on the AS5, I'll try that...thanks.

Any idea why controlling the fan speed with nTune doesn't work? Would Riva Tuner help?

From what I've read nTune is a real POS. Try RivaTuner, I know for a fact that it works since I just setup a fan profile for my 8800GT yesterday.

the 8600 GT comes in a passive version (Fatal1ty branded), that would've been my choice for a HTPC

Back