XFX 8800GT Problem

Avengeance

Gawd
I am having a problem with my XFX 8800GT. Sometimes randomly while I am in games the video locks up and the screen gets green or red blocks all around it. I think the card is overheating so I loaded up the xpertool from gainward and turned the fan speed all the way up. Now it seems to work fine but I dont like how much noise its putting out. I am wondering if I should RMA the card to XFX or if I will be able to even RMA it now with the shortage of them. Also sometimes when I am playing vista pops up saying that the video driver stopped responding. Any ideas?

I am having a problem with my XFX 8800GT. Sometimes randomly while I am in games the video locks up and the screen gets green or red blocks all around it. I think the card is overheating so I loaded up the xpertool from gainward and turned the fan speed all the way up. Now it seems to work fine but I dont like how much noise its putting out. I am wondering if I should RMA the card to XFX or if I will be able to even RMA it now with the shortage of them. Also sometimes when I am playing vista pops up saying that the video driver stopped responding. Any ideas?

Sounds like over heating. These cars run hot, either improve your case cooling (or tell us what it is so we can deduce further) or improve the GPU cooling with an aftermarket cooler.

Green and red blocks or artifacts are signs of a bad card or over heating. It may not be a bad idea to RMA it, but if you dont feel like dealing with downtime, get an aftermarket cooler or open the side of your case.

Use the tool to set your fan at an acceptable noise level. Many people report that 40-50% is quieter than the case and yeilds sufficient cooling.

Had the same problem the first time I played on my EVGA 8800GT SC for an extended period of time - whole screen went nuts but I could still hear the game running. Used RivaTuner to adjust the fan workload based on the GPU temps. Now I don't go above 60-62 deg. C when playing Crysis for more than an hour.

an xfx rep hangs around here and is really helpful, you may want to ask him what he thinks you should do.

What temps are you getting under load? Crysis hits 90C on my XFX. No problems. I guess you just got a bad card.

Could just be the card but I agree that the stock cooling settings aren't great

I used rivatuner to control the fan speed based on temp. For daily usage/browsing the web and such the fan is set at 40% and I can't hear it. Idles at 54C

I seem to have some difficulty accessing the fan control in Rivatuner. When I click customize I only get 3 options "Low-level refresh rate settings","Low-level desktop color schemes" and "Graphics subsystem diagnostic report". I also get this message "Warning, Rivatuner has not been tested with the currently installed display driver. It is strongly recommended that you install RivaTuner to a new version" whenever I open RIva tuner. Is it bcuz of the driver I'm using 169.09? Do I need to use WHQL drivers? Please help thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind I had version 2.03 I just updated to 2.06. Everything is fine now.

Fan speed is too low; load up nTune or RT and crank the fan speed to 45% duty cycle.

Fan speed is too low; load up nTune or RT and crank the fan speed to 45% duty cycle.

Is there any way to get RT to actually spool up for 3d stufF? It seems to let me set it fixed at a certain point, or auto, but not customize auto.

wow. This was really it.

Why is it taht it doesn't have the right setting by default? :confused:

And can one get riva tuner to actually modify fan speeds based on temp ~without~ the monitoring program open?

Yes you can set it up to adjust in accordance to temp but really 45% I found was the sweet spot for noise and annoyance.

It is not good that nVidea and the card makers are not providing adequate default cooling on this card. I was all set to replace my 8800GTS 320s with a couple of these but I guess now is not the time.

Well what I did was right-click the graph for temps and went to setup. In there I selected the tray icon options so I can see my temps in the systray. Then on the main monitor page I clicked the red background monitoring button. After that you can close it and your fan profiles will be active + you will have a handy temp reading on the desktop.

Well what I did was right-click the graph for temps and went to setup. In there I selected the tray icon options so I can see my temps in the systray. Then on the main monitor page I clicked the red background monitoring button. After that you can close it and your fan profiles will be active + you will have a handy temp reading on the desktop.

Blah. I'll just manually trigger the fan speeds and hope Nvidia releases a patch.

Just set it to run at 45% at startup. It's quiet and cools pretty well.

not enough, sadly. I need at least 60% it seems to get the job done for Crysis and GoW...

I'll just use the launcher.

not enough, sadly. I need at least 60% it seems to get the job done for Crysis and GoW...

I'll just use the launcher.

Your card is defective or the heatsink is improperly mounted.

If you need to crank the fan to over twice the RPMs of stock just for it to run games, something is wrong with your card.

You should replace it.

Your card is defective or the heatsink is improperly mounted.

If you need to crank the fan to over twice the RPMs of stock just for it to run games, something is wrong with your card.

You should replace it.

I've heard of enough people with the same problem that I can believe it to be a card design issue over individual cards...
but I'll give evga a call eventually. I did get their second best warranty option :)

i'm perfectly at peace with using the riva-launcher + 8800GT.

set one for default, silent.

set one for a nice, stable oc with 50-60% fan

set one for your max-stable crysis setting, 100% fan.

it's not difficult, it's not a pain, the manufacturers should have it set up for us, but they don't and rivatuner is available to use.

the cards overheat at stock settings, even with hl2 for me.

i really don't see what the huge problem is (aside from people who've already fried their cards, not knowing. whooops!) , just don't run the card at stock settings.

Sorry for the delay as I was out for a bit. If you are still having issues, please start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and then let me know the RMA number. I can help resolve it.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that RT was completely designed by a software engineering who doesnt seem to grasp what a good user interface looks like.

Why in hell do you need the graph monitor page opened, unless you pressed that red b utton??? Come to think of it, why in hell do you need RT opened at all??? And if you needed RT opened, why in HELL isnt there a minimize button for RT so that you dont accidentally change settings going back and forth between desktop and game. J.C.

Back