XFX GeForce 7900 GS 480M Extreme @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
XFX GeForce 7900 GS 480M Extreme - NVIDIA is announcing two GPUs at popular price points today continuing their current GeForce 7 family. The GeForce 7900 GS is today's hard-launch and we’ve got a full retail package XFX brand GeForce 7900 GS that we evaluate in seven games.

For a purchase price $219.99 this XFX 7900GS is very attractive for just about any serious gamer or computer hardware enthusiast. The mail-in-rebate makes the deal even sweeter reducing the 480M Extreme model to $199.99 and the regular model to $179.99. The XFX GeForce 7900 GS 480M destroys the ATI Radeon X1800 GTO leaving no prisoners behind. The 480M marches on with such commitment that it even starts to challenge the ATI Radeon X1900 GT. Isn’t competition great?

Please DIGG if you find worthy! Thanks for the support, it is appreciated.

Cool...I totally agree that the 7900gs is a much better value than the x1800gto, but I have a hard time with the Editor's choice award, considering you can get the x1900gt for the same $199 price, which beats the 7900gs in most situations.

However, there is no denying the sexiness of that all black card.

Very nice review and a really sweet overclocker as well! It was so impressive I mentioned it in
the comments section of our 7900 GS page.

Nice nice nice :) Overclocks like a mofo and looks like a badass to boot. Love seeing so much competition between Team Green and Team Red. Its a great time to be a gamer from a hardware perspective!

p.s. - Gamebryo spelled wrong on the Oblivion page.

I want to see how this compairs to a 7800GT because the specs looks similar.

DeChache said:

I second this!

Might be interesting, although all the 7800's I've seen cost more tehn this 7900GS MSRP's for

I almost was going to buy GT 7600 today until I read the Hardocp news everyday and notice XFX GF 7900 GS 480M Extreme. Good things I change my mind and wait for 7900 GS on when they release, I do not know and hope the sooner the better. :)

DeChache said:
One of the sites linked from the [H] reviews list does a brief comparison between the 7900GS and the 7800GTX. FPS were within 1-2 frames on every test. Note that's the 7800GTX, not the GT!

Also, I did the math for another post. The overclock [H] achieved on the 7900GS core was exactly 33%--yowza! And this from the factory OC, not the reference clock.

DeChache said:

It seems as though the 7900 GS at these speeds is just a couple percent slower than the 7900 GT. In non-pixel bound games you would likely not be able to tell the two apart. I would guess that it would blow the 7800 GT out of the water.

I am now putting off my whole PC build for this card. I had a whole PC planned out I was going to save up for, but screw it, this card is beastly at this price!

BTW, Kyle or Brent, is there any chance you could snag some Oblivion Screen Shots at those graphic settings? I wanna see what it looks like!

Great Review ! Just wondering as to why F.E.A.R is no longer used as a benchmark test ?

We decided to move forward with some newer games, plus, FEAR isn't even on the top 20 game sells lists anymore.

This evaluation used 7 games. Typically I'd want to push for 8 games in our high-end evaluations, time doesn't always allow me to do that however, especially if I need to also test at 24" or 30".

Like the ATI evaluation a few weeks ago we had a very short time for this launch as well.

Just to let you guys know what we do to bring you good and thorough evaluations, I spent my entire labor day weekend working on this (Thursday-Monday), no time off. I did everything I could in the evaluation with the time available.

Now I am working on the 7950 GT.

Holy cow, that's a great value! Maybe it's time to trade my gf's 6600GT for a 7900GS. :)

I too am shocked how well the 7900 GS actually did, coming up on the X1900 GT's territory even. I did not expect that.

Brent_Justice said:
I too am shocked how well the 7900 GS actually did, coming up on the X1900 GT's territory even. I did not expect that.
Did you have time to bench much on your monster overclock? I'm guessing it would put the 7900GS into some pretty rare company, depending on how well the X1900GT overclocks too of course.

Brent_Justice said:
We decided to move forward with some newer games, plus, FEAR isn't even on the top 20 game sells lists anymore.

This evaluation used 7 games. Typically I'd want to push for 8 games in our high-end evaluations, time doesn't always allow me to do that however, especially if I need to also test at 24" or 30".

Like the ATI evaluation a few weeks ago we had a very short time for this launch as well.

Just to let you guys know what we do to bring you good and thorough evaluations, I spent my entire labor day weekend working on this (Thursday-Monday), no time off. I did everything I could in the evaluation with the time available.

Now I am working on the 7950 GT.

Thanks for the info Brent. Im just shocked to hear that FEAR is no longer on the top 20 sales list, as its a very popular game (atleast I thought so). Anyways looking forward to the next review and on a side note, you think you will use FEAR Extraction Point when its released?

I wonder how a pair of these compare to the 7900gtx or 7950gx2. Anyone seen a review with some SLI info?

Brent_Justice said:
I'm not exactly sure why it's such a shock to see the x1900gt and the 7900gs competing fairly closely? They are within $25 of each other.

Darkatom said:
Thanks for the info Brent. Im just shocked to hear that FEAR is no longer on the top 20 sales list, as its a very popular game (atleast I thought so). Anyways looking forward to the next review and on a side note, you think you will use FEAR Extraction Point when its released?

I'll definitely get the expansion and check it out. It seems though from what I've been reading there won't be any major graphical changes in it, so it will probably play very very well on current generation hardware. The length is said to be about half that of FEAR. I'll get the expansion and see how it does in game sells.

BlackTigers91 said:
Cheapest x1900GT - $276
(Retail and in-stock)

Cheapest 7900GS - $200
(Retail and in-stock)

La-dee-da...
That may be. And I'm not arguing that the 7900 isn't a better buy today based on what's in stock....but I bought a retail connect3d x1900gt probably 3 weeks ago for $199 after rebate at newegg. Maybe the stock online has been wiped out by the low prices.

Also, FWIW, the All in wonder x1900 is only $230.

From the review:
The Radeon X1900 GT also fluctuates depending on where you go and what brand it is. We found some in fact that were selling in retail boxes for $199, same price as the new 7900 GS.

Any place besides newegg selling this yet? Ever since they moved to TN I don't really care to buy from them anymore if possible.

I know that this is kind of a dumb question, and the answer is probably no...

But i've got a 7900GT... can i buy a 7900GS or 7950GT and SLI it with my current card...?

If not, then i hope that the 7900GT prices come down so that i can justify buying another one...

rhexis said:
will this card overclocked noticeably out perform my 7800gtx?
NvNews benched the XFX 7900GS against the BFG 7800GTX OC in Doom 3 and FEAR.

Link: http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_7900_gs/page_3.shtml

The 7900GS performed on par with the GTX in Doom, a little slower at lower settings and a little faster at higher settings. In FEAR, the GS was as fast or faster across the board. Now, add a 33% core overclock (like Brent achieved) to the GS, and what do you think happens?:cool:

thanks for the link. wow i paid $549 for my 7800gtx a year ago. now a sub $200 card equals and in some cases exceeds it. technology is great.

Commander Suzdal said:
NvNews benched the XFX 7900GS against the BFG 7800GTX OC in Doom 3 and FEAR.

Link: http://www.nvnews.net/previews/geforce_7900_gs/page_3.shtml

The 7900GS performed on par with the GTX in Doom, a little slower at lower settings and a little faster at higher settings. In FEAR, the GS was as fast or faster across the board. Now, add a 33% core overclock (like Brent achieved) to the GS, and what do you think happens?:cool:

A 10%-15% performance increase.

wickedld9 said:
A 10%-15% performance increase.
Is that what it generally amounts to in real-world results, then? About half the raw increase? Sounds like it would put it about on par with a stock 7900GT, maybe?

*stares at 7800GTs... starts thinking about ebay*

GS looks sweet. Buddy of mine is looking to build a decent gaming rig on the cheap, he really wanted a 7900 but his budget would only strech to a 7600GT hes proper chuffed now.

Hmm, just to stir the pot, here's what Anand said about 7900 GS competitor:

For today's tests, we will have to make do with only the GeForce 7900 GS. This card will come in between $200 and $250 and compete directly with the X1900 GT. Until now, as we saw in our earlier midrange roundup, the X1900 GT had no direct competitor from NVIDIA at its current price point -- at least if you're talking about MSRPs and prices without mail-in rebates. At present, the X1900 GT is selling for $225-$245, with street prices of the 7900 GT ranging from $262-$312 before rebates, depending on clock speed and features. With rebates, 7900 GT cards can be had for as little as $236. That puts the 7900 GS in an interesting position, as it will need to compete with not only the ATI offerings, but it will also have to go against some of NVIDIA's own products. The 7900 GS will certainly have to fall closer to the $200 price point rather than the $250 price point if it is to be successful.

Anandtech more compares it to the 1900GT, where of course it tends to lose. So a interesting difference there.

BTW Newegg does have a $249 1900 GT already http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161018

But they also have about 8 7900 GS at $199

supposedly ATI is coming out x1900pro that will compete with 7900gs price segment...

12 pipes 80nm 600/700 256bit memory-36shaders... It's much faster than 1900gt far as memory goes for $200 for 256meg, 512meg for $240...

Back