XFX GeForce 9800 GX2 @ [H]

Even more improvements in testing methodology.

Althrough to make comparison more "fair" it should also inlude 3870x2 + 3870 triple crossfire performance numbers as that would be at $600 price point and in all previous articles you guys were pretty obssed with equal MSRP numbers (up to the point of comparing 8600gts versus 1950 pro at 200$ when you could buy 1950XT with such street prices).

nice card it seems but not the card that plays crysis in ultra high at average of 40fps in 1680 res

I agree with your point about SLI for high end cards, which brings me back to my first post. I would have been nice to test the 9800GX2 against a single GT/GTS to further augment SLI/Multi GPU scaling..

and I just read the 9660gt review you linked, Im shocked...

wow a 9600 performing better then a GT?

I think the OC that the [H] got (as well as others) is more important than I think given credit for. A 20% increase in shader speed is not trivial.

TWO WORDS....9800GX2 SLI
any benchies from that??

This is definitely the top dog. Depending on how well SLI fairs with 9800GX2s I might upgrade. If it doesnt do very well, then i'll wait.

I'd like to see benchies on 2 x 3870X2s on x38 boards versus 2 x 9800GX2 on i790.

A 790i would be $350 and another 8800GT would be $200 (at least) so $550 to get 9800GX2 type performance with a non-sli mobo.

So I don't see some magical way to get these numbers a whole lot cheaper.

A 790i is not a "must" for SLI'd 8800GT's. A decent, and yes there are decent ones, 680i board will work just as well for a fraction of the cost. The myriad of problems really only occur with people trying to heavily overclock their procs. I know, I had one. So long as I can push my Q6600 to 3.0 that'll work for me. I'd venture to say it'd cost me just north of $325 AR. So, $600 is not a "bargain" to me to gain a few FPS and some AA/AF capabilities.

I don't like multi-card GPU solutions anyways, which is why I mentioned that it'd be nice if they came out with a 9800GT2 (8800GT's in SLI on 1 card) for around $400. That's something I would buy.

Just my $0.02. Nothing more, nothing less.

Even more improvements in testing methodology.

Althrough to make comparison more "fair" it should also inlude 3870x2 + 3870 triple crossfire performance numbers as that would be at $600 price point and in all previous articles you guys were pretty obssed with equal MSRP numbers (up to the point of comparing 8600gts versus 1950 pro at 200$ when you could buy 1950XT with such street prices).

Ah, but then their darling nVidia card wouldn't look so "beautiful" and wouldn't "pwn" the ATI card quite so rotundly ;)

i own a gts 512 and well frankly with my step up program i pay 250 to basicly add a second into my system w/o purchasing a sli mobo was i see it in my situation i am in a win/win

Just a note, I checked out EVGA's site and it looks like they have a special extention going for people wanting to step up.

Looks like if you want a 9800 GX2 you now have 120 days from your original date of purchase to step up. for some of you freaking out from Christmas gift video cards.... looks like thats their way of saying your welcome.

Card doesnt look bad. However, for the $170 and change that it would cost me, would this even be a sane Step Up from my beloved 8800 GTX? I doubt that Ill have enough for a new card after my step up window with EVGA ends. My step up ends in May so Ill miss launch time for the new cards. This 9800 GX2 looks like it may tide me over though....

I look forward to that 9800 GTX review; perhaps that might be a CHEAPER stop gap. Thatnks for the great review [H]ard! And Im glad to see that your standards are great, unlike a few review sites that have release "reviews" of video cards recently.

TWO WORDS....9800GX2 SLI
any benchies from that??

This is definitely the top dog. Depending on how well SLI fairs with 9800GX2s I might upgrade. If it doesnt do very well, then i'll wait.

I'd like to see benchies on 2 x 3870X2s on x38 boards versus 2 x 9800GX2 on i790.

and so you shall (crossfirex will be done on x48)

You already switched your Tri-SLI setup for two of these ?!

I haven't run 3-Way SLI for some time. I switched back to using my RAID controller. The third card provided very little performance improvement in any of my games. It did allow me to take COD4 past 4xAA and 16xAF, but that wasn't anything I could really see in terms of real world performance.

Yea he was selling his GTXs the other day.

Indeed. Those are sold and shipped. I did keep one though for my girlfriends gaming rig. Right now I'm using it until my 9800GX2's arrive.

as much as i want one of these cards the price is not worth it. I could get 8800gts SLI and a new SLI motherboard (since i dont have one) for a cheaper price :(

as much as i want one of these cards the price is not worth it. I could get 8800gts SLI and a new SLI motherboard (since i dont have one) for a cheaper price :(

You want to avoid the 680i SLI and 780i SLI motherboards if it all possible. That alone makes the 9800GX2 an attractive choice over two 8800GT's in SLI.

So at this point, for people who have a GTX or Ultra, your best option is to either stay with 1 card or get a second card. This probably won't change when the 9800GTX comes out as well.

Joy......

...9800 GX2 is going to deliver a notably better gaming experience than a single GeForce 8800 GTX in today’s extremely demanding games...

For non-SLI users (and for a more accurate direct comparison):

How "notable" is the difference between a single GTX and the GX2?

There were no direct comparisons between the two other than that statement, so I'm sure there are others aside from myself who'd like to "clarify" that a little more.

Would you say it would be worth moving from the GTX to the GX2?

Is it "notable" enough of a difference to warrant an almost $700 purchase to "move up" to the GX2 from a GTX?

It would indeed have to be pretty notable to justify a roughly $700 purchase, so I'd love to know the real difference between, specifically, a single GX2 and GTX.

Nice review but I wish you guys would have included 2 8800gtx SLI'd to compare to the bunch, especialy at the higher res's.

Reason being I plan to build a new rig in about 2 months and I was planning on either keeping my single 8800gtx and going with an intel chipset for the stability. Or perhaps going with the new NV chipset for SLI and either holding onto my 8800gtx untill gt200 or picking up another 8800gtx since they are so cheap now to hold me off till later this year when we see the true next gen cards from NV. In either case I would love to see some comparision numbers for 2 8800gtx's. :)

well i started my step-up i hope to hear back from evga soon so i can get this bad boy in my case... i just measured and i have a ½ inch to spare lol

I forgot to ask.....is this Quad SLi capable right now????

Would two of these work on a 680i board???

Well, I guess I am already at the bleeding edge with two 8800GTS 512's in SLI. I was really vacillating on whether to wait for the new cards or buy the 8800GTS's, but now I feel I made a smart purchase. Thanks for another timely and relevant review.

For non-SLI users (and for a more accurate direct comparison):

Is it "notable" enough of a difference to warrant an almost $700 purchase to "move up" to the GX2 from a GTX?

It would indeed have to be pretty notable to justify a roughly $700 purchase, so I'd love to know the real difference between, specifically, a single GX2 and GTX.

I run a single GTX as well. And I would suggest NO, it would not be worth the cost.

I really think that an 8800GTX SLI config should have been included becuase it definitly would have shown the real value of the 9800GX2.

If Dan has already sold his GTXs for two 9800 GX2s, is there something he knows about Quad SLI that we don't? :p

Also, I didn't see noise mentioned at all... is the card as quiet as the stock 8800 GTX/Ultra?

I really think that an 8800GTX SLI config should have been included becuase it definitly would have shown the real value of the 9800GX2.

Hmm I would think 2 GTX's, at the curent prices of approx $300 each, would fair better (especially at high res) than 1 9800gx2. I don't understand what makes you think 1 gx2 would be a beter value for around the same money.

Well let's see here. And we try to give you guys SOME credit for figuring out a couple things for yourself.

9800 GX2 just a bit better than a single GTX. Hmmm.

Now here is the rub, outside of Crysis, which obviously scales like shit with multi-GPU.....well anyway, I suggest you can already see the real value. This card is about selling more video cards to non-SLI capable mobo owners.

If you have an SLI board, buy another $319 GTX, if not, GX2 is your only option for that level of performance.

Those are my thoughts anyway. I don't think this video card release has to do with the video card market, it has to do with all those enthusiasts that did not invest in SLI mobos. Make sense?

Because some people don't have SLi boards?

yup, I was thinking of selling my 2 gtx's and picking up one.. but I love the look of 2 of those cards through the window of my case. Not to mention i will be playing around with the 790i boards tonight.

You want to avoid the 680i SLI and 780i SLI motherboards if it all possible. That alone makes the 9800GX2 an attractive choice over two 8800GT's in SLI.

My dilemma right now is that I am _somewhat_ tempted to go with a pair of 9800GX2s, buying one in 2 weeks with the rest of my new rig, and one 2 months after that along with a 30" monitor, but the infrastructure to even be prepared for that setup is so costly. Need a solid 1000W PSU or better, an SLI capable mobo that doesn't suck. (From what Kyle has hinted, that may be 790i), which means potentially DDR3, arrrghh.

So my current thoughts (and Dan if you have any thoughts on this feel free to pipe in.): Build a rig with all the supporting parts I need in approximately 2-3 weeks, skimping on video for now (GTS 512 maybe) and making use of an EVGA step-up to a GX2, along with a fresh GX2 and the 30" monitor in June when I have more dough to spend.

It's so confusing.

Hmm I would think 2 GTX's, at the curent prices of approx $300 each, would fair better (especially at high res) than 1 9800gx2. I don't understand what makes you think 1 gx2 would be a beter value for around the same money.

That is what I was meaning, becuase I do not think that the supposed value of the 9800GX2 is not justified enough to me for [H] to give it an award especially considering the conditions where purchasing a 9800gx2 is justified.

Back