XFX Recertified 4870x2 $309

I don't think this is very hot since a brand new XFX card w/ double lifetime warranty costs $360 after $10 rebate. Assuming a person would have this card for 2-3 years I would think the extra $50 is worth another year or two of being able to get a new card should things go bad. The double lifetime warranty should also increase the resale value a bit as well.

If someone is willing to spend $310 on a video card coming up with another $50 shouldn't be that difficult.

Christ, I'm so sick of hearing about warranties. 1-3 years on a video card is more than enough.

Christ, I'm so sick of hearing about warranties. 1-3 years on a video card is more than enough.
Maybe for you, but once I'm done with my video card I pass it along to a backup computer or to a family member. My average video card has a life of at least 5 years before it is no longer of value to me or another family member. So maybe John Q. Enthusiast who replaces his video card every 18 months can get by with a 1 year warranty, but for the rest of us a longer warranty adds value to a product.

My GF uses my old cards... I keep them for about two years, then pass them along... She then uses them for 2-3 years.

I'd like at least a 3 year warranty... 50$ for a re certified card doesn't hack it IMO.

You must have a lot of loose change lying around in your pockets, or something else loose in your head, to think that 1 or 2 years is an acceptable warranty for an item that costs $300 to $500. How many millions of transistors are on these video cards? Not to mention the $10 cheap plastic fans? Yeah, a lot can go wrong in a couple years' worth of 23/7 usage.

Fyi, you can get two open box 4870 1gb from MSI for about 125 a piece.... I would like to have everything on a single card, but is it worth $50 to go from 2 4870's to a x2 and another 50 to get a better warranty?

You must have a lot of loose change lying around in your pockets, or something else loose in your head, to think that 1 or 2 years is an acceptable warranty for an item that costs $300 to $500. How many millions of transistors are on these video cards? Not to mention the $10 cheap plastic fans? Yeah, a lot can go wrong in a couple years' worth of 23/7 usage.

Well, it's more than "loose change", and if my 4870x2 died before the 5800X2 came out, then I'd take advantage of the warranty. As soon as the 5800x2 comes out, I'll be putting the 4870x2 in the closet until I need a spare or it becomes time to throw it away.

I'm technically the family upgrader on computers, so everytime i upgrade one of my brothers wants to buy my old computer. (Considering they almost all have 7-8 year old computers i can't blame them..hehe)
Good deal if you want to save money and don't really care about the warranty too much.

Sort of agree. If your card is running like a champ after 1 year straight (let alone 3), theres a pretty good chance its gonna stay that way for a while. Most graphics card failures I hear about happen within 2-3 months of installing it.

You only shut down for an hour a day, huh? :p

On a serious note, I agree that if it works solid for a few months then you're probably good to go. But if you keep cards a long time or purchase a used one, it's nice to have a 5yr+ or lifetime warranty when the fan becomes obnoxious...

If it lasts I dont care about the warranty, if it doesn't I do......thats the problem, for $300 plus, I prob want a decent warranty, also, I sell my stuff every 3 months or so, and the double lifetime warranty does seem to help get you more money back.

Back