XFX RX 470 black screen, flicker, high voltage problems?

ir0nw0lf

Supreme [H]ardness
Friend just bought the XFX RX 470 RS Black Edition True OC video card from Newegg a few weeks ago. Specs I got out of him:

Mobo: MSI 970A-G43 Socket AM3+ (MSI 970A-G43 Plus AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 & SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 under some Antec Hxx water cooler
RAM: 4x8 GB DDR3-1600
Video: XFX RX 470 RS Black Edition True OC (XFX Radeon RX 470 RS Black Edition True OC DirectX 12 RX-470P437BM 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card-Newegg.com)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 850W (not sure of exact model #)
Video Driver: Radeom Crimson 16.8.2
Monitor: (brand not known) Freesync supported 144 Hz monitor
Video Cable: DP cable (brand/quality/revision not known)

After running pretty much any Steam game, ~5-15 minutes in anything, screen will occasionally go black for 1-2 seconds then pop back in. He couldn't tell me how often it happens. HWiNFO was running to see if the CPU/video was getting too hot, they both appear to be running just fine. The video card voltage however would show a bump to ~1.2xx V on the GPU just before the screen blacks out. From what I have read that is way too high for this card, way too high. I don't how accurate these V numbers are from HWiNFO though.

I told him he should not play any games right now and to call XFX Tech Support and see what they have to say. RMA it back to Newegg if need be. Is the power supply a possible suspect? Is 1.2xx V in the kill-the-card range? The card is running out-of-box with no tweaking at all.

Friend just bought the XFX RX 470 RS Black Edition True OC video card from Newegg a few weeks ago. Specs I got out of him:

Mobo: MSI 970A-G43 Socket AM3+ (MSI 970A-G43 Plus AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 & SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com)
CPU: AMD FX-8350 under some Antec Hxx water cooler
RAM: 4x8 GB DDR3-1600
Video: XFX RX 470 RS Black Edition True OC (XFX Radeon RX 470 RS Black Edition True OC DirectX 12 RX-470P437BM 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card-Newegg.com)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 850W (not sure of exact model #)
Video Driver: Radeom Crimson 16.8.2
Monitor: (brand not known) Freesync supported 144 Hz monitor
Video Cable: DP cable (brand/quality/revision not known)

After running pretty much any Steam game, ~5-15 minutes in anything, screen will occasionally go black for 1-2 seconds then pop back in. He couldn't tell me how often it happens. HWiNFO was running to see if the CPU/video was getting too hot, they both appear to be running just fine. The video card voltage however would show a bump to ~1.2xx V on the GPU just before the screen blacks out. From what I have read that is way too high for this card, way too high. I don't how accurate these V numbers are from HWiNFO though.

I told him he should not play any games right now and to call XFX Tech Support and see what they have to say. RMA it back to Newegg if need be. Is the power supply a possible suspect? Is 1.2xx V in the kill-the-card range? The card is running out-of-box with no tweaking at all.
I run HWiNFO64 and it seems accurate with a XFX 290. However Hwinfo may not be accurate with the new AMDs so cant speak to that. I do find it odd that it would jump up at stock given it would quickly hit TDP and cause downclocking. The black screen usually happens when driver fails, usually with over heating.

Honestly he need to reinstall the driver. No cleaning just install over the old one or same one. Could take 3 times (usually only happens with Intel). Have him try that first and see what happens.

This is the driver failing and restarting. Used to see this a lot back in the early Win 8 days. Been a while since I ran into it, but it sounds exactly like driver failing and restarting. Check the windows system and application logs and you should see entries about having to restart the driver.

Thanks for the input. I mentioned installing the drivers again, waiting to hear back from him. As for overheating, I think he mentioned temps in the 65-70C range while playing some stuff. I'm presuming on these cards those temps are nothing to worry about?

This is happening to me as well since 16.8.2 on my RX470. I've not bothered to do a DDU / driver reinstall yet though.

EDIT: I have a Sapphire Platinum.

Last edited:
I have an MSI RX 470 and my screen goes black too. Problem is it doesn't turn back on. I have to restart my PC to get picture again

Driving me nuts

UPDATE: LOL and ROFLs to some extent. Instead of waiting for a response from XFX, he said eff it, sent the card back to Newegg for a refund and ordered a watercooled GTX 1070 card. Whatever floats his boat, it's his $$$.

Bought my wife a Sapphire RX 470 reference card. Would black screen on her all the time, artifacts on screen when waking the monitor, and occasionally the fan would jump to 100% and stay there despite 0% GPU load. All these would require a hard restart to fix. Had it less than a week, refunded through newegg.

UPDATE: LOL and ROFLs to some extent. Instead of waiting for a response from XFX, he said eff it, sent the card back to Newegg for a refund and ordered a watercooled GTX 1070 card. Whatever floats his boat, it's his $$$.
Why would anyone WAIT for a response from xfx when the rep here usually assist people within the hour? But yes if its bad it needs to be returned anyway! It appears to be more than a few bad rx470's at newegg

I forgot we have a xfx rep on the forums... That and this guy doesn't frequent this site. It's his money, if it fixes his issues then so be it. :D

Back