XFX Video Card Power

AMD Man 129

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new PC and I'm having troble with my XFX 6800 XTreme card. I can't figure out where I'm supposed to plug the power adapter into. I know this is a noobish question but I am a noobie. What do I plug that troblesome power connector on the video card into? I need help badly :( :mad:

The psu should have a plug and if it doesnt then you need a new PSU .

Is it the first time you are buiding a PC , man if it is then also know this its the hardest time too. I hope that makes things easier.

I do think it is a PSU problem cos i before had a 6600gt and that didnt need it but the book i got with it was for the whole 6 series and i remember that the 6800 need this extra power.

Also tell us more what you got and when you got it and why the 6800 and not the 7600 or 7900 ?

lol thx i knew that...
I just needed to know if i use the connector on the mobo instead scince im only running 1 card.

You rock my socks off!

6800 cause of the price

tell you the truth you need a PSU . you can do what your saying but its not advisable. and may cause crashes and even damage.

What do you exactly have and what PSU are you using for this.

He doesnt need a new PSU, at least on the information he has given. If he has some peice of shit running his rig, then he might.

OP, there should be an adaptor that came with that card for the power. Itll have two molex leads and a PCIE power to plug into the card. Use it.

and if youre asking where you actually plug it in... there is a black plug on the top of the card facing the HDD cage.

Edit: On further inspection of that particular card, it just has a standard molex plug. Just plug it in, its hard to miss... same location i stated before.

In the back of the card there is 4 power pins like those in your harddrive or your cd rom plug any of your power supply 4 pins cord in it .

Hope That helped

I'm using a Turbocool 510 and a XFX 6800 XTreme

lol So I don't use the power connector? The packaging for the vid card says to make sure that the power is plugged in to give enough power

who told you that? of course you do! there is a black plug on the top end of the card, its hard to miss.

lol sorry for that. i too am a noob and trip all the time like you , so dont worry.

man dont worry , we are all the same .

Your PSU definately has a sli cables so it just needs plugging in to . Also when making this PC the problems most people encounter are the Power , reset , Pled, SPeaker, Makes sure you get them right and your done and the mic wire goes in to audio on the board.

I remember my first time. ;)

lol i'm kind of out of the loop... this is my 2nd pc and my first was in 2001
i have been putting all of my energy into an old computer with old components

WTF?

First, this has nothing to do with SLI. He is using a PCIE board, but the only way SLI is going to come into this is if he buys a second card. I guess you meant the 6pin PCIE Auxillary power connector? If so, it does not apply. That particular video card has a standard Molex Aux power connector.

The 510Express did not have a 6pin Aux power when it was first released. It is possible his does not, but if he bought it recently, I doubt it.

Third, those other things you mentioned are standard front panel connections. As long as you RTFM, you should be fine. This isnt really the thread for that though, this is about a video card...

the PSU is a 510 SLI and i'm not using SLI. Do i still need to use the 4 pin molex connector on the rear of the video card? it says to on the package but im not sure if thats with or without sli

You need it mate , it keeps it balanced , dont worry it wont blow your card. The thing you are talking about is the EZ plug and thats what you need to plug if you run a SLI set up but that is plugged on the mobo. The one you are talking about is the graphic card and that needs to be plugged.

AMD Man 129 said:
the PSU is a 510 SLI and i'm not using SLI. Do i still need to use the 4 pin molex connector on the rear of the video card? it says to on the package but im not sure if thats with or without sli
YES.

If you didnt need it, it wouldnt be there.

it keeps it balanced
Balanced? No... it just allows the video card to draw the required wattage through a higher voltage line, thereby bypassing the very high amperage it would require out of a 5v line to completly power the card from the PCIE slot. Coincidentally, the board cannot supply it, the max of a PCIE slot is 60w or so iirc.

you can doesnt really matter ,it makes sure that everything gets the power it needs .

but also thats only when you have a lot of things on the board when the EZplug comes in to use . i.e. SLI setup.

Back