XFX Warranty on 7900 cards

tc17

Limp Gawd
I assume XFX must have decided to stop giving a lifetime warranty on their cards? Newegg shows them only being 2 years now, yet they are charging a premium price for the XFX cards compared to the other brands. Plus the XFX comes with far fewer accessories... why would anyone even buy their brand anymore if they are going to do that.

I had planned on buying XFX for my next card again, but if this is the case, I will not be buying their brand. I'll buy the cheaper brands that come with more accessories.

Edit: I see Newegg is also back to their typical price gouging. They definitely are not the company they used to be with low prices. I may just skip this series of cards.

Last edited:
I would't have bought an XFX card before they changed their warranty...

have bought lots of xfx cards for home and my office without issue, however ive never been a fan of them when the cheaper non reference models come along, and if the warranty has changed then id be looking elsewhere too, that was "the" selling feature of XFX

[strike=]OP, please read the fine print before spreading misinformation. All 7970 cards currently made by XFX, and practically everything else they currently sell, qualifies for the double-lifetime warranty.[/s]

EDIT: Sorry OP, my mistake, I misread the fine print. You are right, the reference design that they are selling only has a 2-year warranty from now on. My bad, didn't mean to sound so harsh.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx?ispreview=true

XFX Warranty Page said:
Which products are eligible for a limited lifetime hardware warranty?

The following Graphics Cards are eligible for an extension of the standard two-year limited hardware warranty:

1. XFX Radeon HD 7000 Series Dual Fan (Double Dissipation Edition) Graphics Cards with Ghost Technology; a floating cover design that maximizes airflow by creating exceptional venting throughout the card.

2. XFX Radeon HD 7000 Series Graphics Cards with 10-digit model numbers ending in “R” (example: “FX-797A-TDFR”)

3. XFX Radeon HD 6000, HD 5000, and HD 4000 Series Graphics Cards

4. XFX GeForce GT 520, GT 430, 200, 9000, 8000, 7000, 6000 Series Graphics Cards purchased after April 17, 2007.

If you register any of the specified products noted above online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty.***

Last edited:
I just bought two XFX cards, since Sapphire was out of stock and one of the two cards artifacts in 2D/3D at stock clocks. But honestly their support has to be better than like Diamond or HIS, maybe even Sapphire who will take a few weeks to get you a replacement back.

MSI is probably better, but it's $580 @ the egg.

Mine came with a card that said something about a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" -- I didn't read all of it but I will most likely register my card with them on the site.

I have a current warranty claim open on an XFX 5870 card with a lifetime warranty. I'm coming up on just short of 1 month since they've had it. No replacement shipped yet. Requested updates via ticket 3x.

Basically they don't make the card anymore and have to wait for stock to come in....

My advice is not to buy XFX products. What good is a lifetime warranty in this case?

The "double-lifetime" warranty has also disappeared.

About the only thing XFX was good for.:eek:

Anyways, I havnt looked into details but it looks to me like at least some models of the 7900 cards do have a lifetime warranty. Keep in mind, when newegg shows 2 year warranty, it may be because all xfx cards only have 2 years until you register them within 30 days. That is how you get the lifetime warranty. This is true for shopping on most sites. They usually reflect the warranty period that it defaults to if you dont register in time.

I'm bumping this to get more exposure, they're going the EVGA route of dumbing down the warranty offers now.

That (double lifetime warranty) was the only defining characteristic of the XFX brand, and they had a higher on average resale value. That is gone now, there isn't much of any reason to chose their cards over an normally less expensive ASUS or MSI offering now.

You US guys should stop complaining about getting hardware at bad prices... I just got an XFX 7970 BEDD in Australia for $850, plus all shipping and surcharges ended up being like 890something.. so I think around 600 would be a great deal lol.

I have a current warranty claim open on an XFX 5870 card with a lifetime warranty. I'm coming up on just short of 1 month since they've had it. No replacement shipped yet. Requested updates via ticket 3x.

Basically they don't make the card anymore and have to wait for stock to come in....

My advice is not to buy XFX products. What good is a lifetime warranty in this case?
At this point I doubt you'll see a 5870, I'd've expected them to probably substitute a 6950. The only good reason I can think of for them feet dragging now is if the supply of 69xx cards has dried up at the manufacturing end and they're unable to send anything appropriate until they're allowed to start shipping 7870s.

Xactactx is right, I had to go to register the card on xfxforce.com to enable the warranty. Even if you do that though, the shop from where u bought it (could be newegg for eg) will cover the 2 year standard warranty.

I always believed that "Double Lifetime" warranty is an overkill but the fact that they removed their warranty in their standard cards shows, for me, that their dropped quality.

To be honest I do no think its the fact they dropped their quality with the warranty change. I think its more in line of cutting back costs... Everyone is doing it now.

The lifetime warranty business may have contributed to the death of BFG (among other factors like mis-management and lost contracts with retailers).

EVGA also went the split warranty route with different codes on cards. XFX is doing the same. The margins on these things are a cut-throat business and XFX is seeing their competitors cards selling at the same prices even without lifetime warranties so they are just following in step.

Back