XFX Will Not Carry Fermi-Based Cards

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
According to Legit Reviews, XFX has announced that they have made the decision to not carry the GF100 series of video cards. Do not fret XFX fans, they will still carry Nvidia products in the future!
XFX mentioned that they have "yet to see whether the fermented launch will reach an inglorious anti-climax" and that "they want to "Ferm up to who really has the big Guns".

Translation: We're re-tooling for ATI cards.

Since their taking this stance, I'd be hard pressed to believe they will just "Skip out" on a launch. You're either on board, or your not.

from a business stand point it's a pretty good idea, at least 'till a driver update comes out that can justify it's power consumption/heat/noise level.

Bringing lifetime warranties to the ATI line was probably the best thing they have ever done, for both their business and us consumers

Though I still think it strange that they would skip out on a whole GPU line even if they want to release some special 5970

Wasn't there a rumor a few months back that nVidia would be losing some partners? If so, this is probably what the rumor was referring to.

XFX is a smart company. Maybe they know something that we dont?

It sounds like they are going to wait until lower end GF100 cards are more main stream.

I talked with a CSR today at Newegg and the guy told me that Newegg didn't anticipate a huge demand for the new nvidia cards and that they were not going to over charge past the suggested retail price like they have typically done with new video cards in the past.

Not surprised

I talked with a CSR today at Newegg and the guy told me that Newegg didn't anticipate a huge demand for the new nvidia cards and that they were not going to over charge past the suggested retail price like they have typically done with new video cards in the past.

Not surprised

Isn't that because there isn't a huge line of people wanting to buy cards? Nearly every modern PC game is a console port. So it takes a very cheap video card to run today's games.

My thinking is that Nvidia doesn't offer a good line up of cheap DX11 cards. So XFX is getting in bed with ATI.

I have a feeling that it must not make sense for them to sell Fermi cards. Considering that the chip itself is like 530mm^2, the cards have got to be very expensive to produce in comparison to their selling price.

When looking at all the Fermi cards that are showing up at NewEgg, I noticed that BFG Tech's name was also missing!! Perhaps true what Kyle speculated about in this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1500595

I wrote this in that thread that I heard during a PCPER.com podcast that..
nVidia was looking into shrinking the number of partners it deals with, to only include partners that actually could MANUFACTURE the cards, not just rebrand them. This was suppose to relieve nVidia of some of the cost of manufacturing as well as the warranty work done on the cards. Ryan thought nVidia would go with 5 companies, such as Gigabyte and Palit.. companies that could make it's own PCB, while others such as EVGA, XFX and BFG, who don't manufacture cards, would be let go. This was also being done to give those companies left standing with nVidia a bigger slice of the marketing pie.

EVGA has Fermi cards available but XFX and BFG don't seem to, at least not yet.

Does the tone of XFX's comments sound a little snide to anyone else? They may have just been having fun with the Fermi name but it comes off a bit dismissive to me.

Thanks for the info necrosis.. took 6 minutes to prove me wrong.. usually it is a lot quicker!! :D

fail1.jpg

The expense of this card must be ridiculous...

You've got a massive chip that's difficult to produce (largest cost) and very unique and expensive cooling system to dissipate the heat. Those 2 things alone are enough to push it into razor thin profit margin to fit under a somewhat attractive price point. To add insult to injury, there are probably at most 20,000 GTX480's that have been produced, leaving few to go around to every partner company, and even fewer for a small backstock of RMA warranty replacements.

I can definitely see why XFX decided to wait this round.

Maybe it's because they may have to replace everyone's card with that little bitty blunder of nvidia known as driver 196.75?

It's a sound business move, if a company doesn't think it will profit off carrying a product, then they simply choose not to and look for other alternatives.

With Fermi and the Nvidia killer driver issue, they don't want to be left holding the bag with their awesome warranty.

Just to add, nothing will kill a relationship with a manu faster then killing your own product and making them pick up the tab.

It makes sense not carrying the top cards, the usually have less profit and have higher failure rates due to people abusing them or using WC which can pretty much kill the card if you are not careful. This with all the added complexity of FERMI boards the cost of that heatsink makes every card a warranty liability to the company, it would also be bad to their customers if they didn't have enough cards to replace the cards that needed to be serviced so i don't blame XFX.i think is a smart move.

Actually, the higher end stuff usually has the higher profit margins.

I agree with what someone said earlier, that the profit from selling these cards is not worth carrying them. Makes sense to me from everything I've heard.

Cracks are starting to show. Goes hand in hand with the reviews. I wouldn't call this card an epic fail but it's turning out to be not just a bad choice but a stupid choice.

Glad to see ATI come out ahead this go around.

I've read several sources saying XFX made the decision, and just as many saying that Nvidia were the ones who said no to XFX, many of those saying it was Nvidia directly who stated those words. What's up with that.

The future, Conan?
In the year, 3000, in the year, 3000

What? You mean someone doesn't want to give a lifetime warranty on a card that runs 90c+ and will probably drop like flies a few years from now?

People want DX11, but they don't want to have to buy a new powersupply along with it and deal with more noise. High end sales have probably been hurting for the past year or so, so they probably don't want to take a bath if sales are really low.

christ, its an april fools joke. "ferm up to see who really has the big guns". whats the deal with you guys?

What? You mean someone doesn't want to give a lifetime warranty on a card that runs 90c+ and will probably drop like flies a few years from now?

I have to believe that this is at least a consideration.

if not handled properly, I'd say they wouldn't last as long as a few years, lol. 90c+ is hot! (my OCed 5770 doesn't even get over 52c running furmark for 30min+ and doesn't make more noise than my case fans, it is a vapor-x model and the 57XXs keep pretty cool any way though).

I just want some good competition for when I upgrade later this year. Between vendors offering the GPUs and between resellers and OEMs making the products.

doesn't quite make as much since nvidia denying the card to xfx as it does the other way around, since xfx is one of the better known enthusiast distributors and that's definitely the market this card is aimed at.

they are most likely making more money with ATi anyways. Their cards have been much cheaper to produce since the 4xx0 series am I not right? That and XFX attractiveness as the only Lifetime Warranty Provider for ATi sure has a big draw. So theres not much to lose except razor thin short term profit margins and massive long term losses thats what I am predicting. If it were up to me I would skip this launch anyways. If a product doesnt look like it will break even or make a profit why sell it?

Isn't that because there isn't a huge line of people wanting to buy cards? Nearly every modern PC game is a console port. So it takes a very cheap video card to run today's games.

Uh, I'm sorry, what??

No big surprise. I remember when Visiontek dumped Nvidia after the 5xxx cards. Nobody can afford to do a rollout on a potential flop in this economy.

Back