Xigmatek or ZeroTherm?

Zake202

Gawd
I can't decide between

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
or
Zerotherm Nirvana NV120

Also, what is the kit people say you need for the Xigmatek?

What is the better thermal paste, Tuniq or Arctic?

I plan to OC a Q6600 using a P180 case, and P5Q Pro Mobo.

Tuniq TX-2 is better than Arctic Silver 5 and about equivalent to Arctic Cooling MX-2 in terms of performance.

As for the Xigmatek and Nirvana, they're both about equal. The kit people refer to when talking about the Xigmatek is a bolt-down kit for the heatsink, which replaces the standard push-pin system that isn't as secure. It's not necessary, but it is recommended.

Tuniq TX-2 is better than Arctic Silver 5 and about equivalent to Arctic Cooling MX-2 in terms of performance.

As for the Xigmatek and Nirvana, they're both about equal. The kit people refer to when talking about the Xigmatek is a bolt-down kit for the heatsink, which replaces the standard push-pin system that isn't as secure. It's not necessary, but it is recommended.

Are there different bolt-down kits?

Also, does the Zerotherm use a push pin?

If so, I'm thinking the Zigmatek would be more sturdy.

Get the xiggy, its very sturdy if you get the retention bracket as well.

Guessing this is the retention bracket that also includes the bolt-down kit?

Are there instructions for installing it?

Also, some people on newegg reviews said to leave the sticky tape on the retention kit, yes/no?

I have a zerotherm Nirvana 120mm . Love the Blue LED fan on it. Fan is like 84.7 CFM .

Mounting is pretty simple . Stick the backplate on the back of the motherboard . The screws that are screwed through the backplate are on a bracket which is screwed onto heatsink frame with 4 screws .

Go for MX-2 , its non-conductive, if you spill it on your mobo, no worries .

Will the Xigmatek 1283 + P5Q Pro work well?

Thinking the CM690 case also.

Wanting to OC the Q6600 to at least 3.0Ghz

Will the Xigmatek 1283 + P5Q Pro work well?

Thinking the CM690 case also.

Wanting to OC the Q6600 to at least 3.0Ghz

I would go with all of the components you listed (in fact, I bought a Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and P5Q Pro for myself recently).

Is the retention kit I linked the right one? And does it also include the bolt-kit?

Is the retention kit I linked the right one? And does it also include the bolt-kit?
the retention bracket is the kit that you need to buy with the xiggy for it to be easier to install.

so all you need to buy is the xiggy and the retention bracket, that is all.

I know for a fact that the Xigmatek will fit in the 690 with enough clearance.

It will fit the 690, but you will not be able to mount the upper side panel intake fan. There's only about 1 cm of clearance from the heatsink to the side panel.

I have the Zerotherm and it's really nice but MAN it's huge. I bet the Xigmatek is as well. The pictures really don't do these things justice. The Nirvana leaves less than 1 inch of room between the top of a side-mounted fan and the top of the heatsink, but it cools damn well and the fan controller is cool to have. It's always a toss-up between these two but the Zerotherm still has a $10 rebate and free shipping, if that would help you make your decision. Shipping on that retention bracket always kills people.

Back