XonarDX/CMI8788, ATH-A700/K240S: Please advise.

Leman

Gawd
Dilemma 1: PCI sound card or PCIe sound card.

I have a mATX board, meaning I only have 4 expansion slots. From top to bottom:
PCIex16 (X1950 Pro)
PCI (vented PCI bracket)
PCI (Wireless adapter)
PCIex4
If I get a XonarDX, I can use the PCIe4x slot at the bottom of my board, which won't interfere with air flow for my X1950Pro (single-slot, connector side blower fan). I also have to put up with the silly mic/optical problem, and whatever other minor problems there are with the card/drivers.

If I get a Razer Barracuda/B-Enspirer, I get the CMI8788 (with both incarnations being much more superior than the 8770 (HT Omega Striker/Auz X-Plosion), correct?), but the card is PCI. That means my wireless moves next to the video card, and the sound card takes the 3rd slot. That also means my X1950 Pro has no source of fresh air (surely a problem, [Y/N]?). Is the Barracuda/B-Enspirer/HT Omega Striker worth cutting a hole for a fan?
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032373269&postcount=29
And where would I get the tools for cutting a hole... considering that I don't want to buy a Dremel/hole saw for a single project.

And would the Barracuda be the best sub-$100 8788 card? I'm just leaning towards it because it "feels" better than the B-Enspirer.

Dilemma 2:
Audiotechnica A700 or AKG K240S. I've done my research, but there's been no direct comparison between the two. I imagine this is because one's closed, and the other's open. However, both can be had for a similar price ($100, +/- $20), and the description of their strengths seem to match what I like (good mid/highs, passble (for an audiophile. Which I'm not. But I like good sound) bass). With the A700s, I imagine I'll have a more concentrated sound. With the AKGs, the bass will be weaker (?) and I get to look like Putin.
http://files.myopera.com/S-Priest/albums/261576/AKG K-271S - Putin.jpg

I'm leaning on the A700s (Hopefully, I can find them for a similar price up here in Canada) for the stronger sound.

Do not want HD555s. Not a fan of the design.

What would you pick?

I'm not much for the Creative products. I don't think I like the X-Fi's very much. The Audigy2ZS was fine... but these new fangled sound cards are... weird. Too gaming orientated in any case.

Besides, the AC-1's on sale for $89, the B-Enspirer for $88, Xonar for $85, HT Omega Striker for $70, and X-Plosion for $85 at NCIX.

The choice of sound card is down to which one gives me the least hassle to install/get it working properly.

Back