XP 32 vs Vista 64 for Games

I personally find it much quicker than xp, and unlike XP it doesnt slow down over a few months like xp does.

That's true huh. XP my system would slow down visibly after a few months of installing programs and begin taking a minute to reboot instead of seconds like after a fresh install. But with Vista 64 its different, a few months and tons of programs later after installing it still runs like I just installed it yesterday, mine boots up in like 20 seconds and I've got a lot of programs/games on it.

To add to m1abram, if you have 2GBs of RAM and a 512MB video card, the video card has the memory addresses from 2GBs - 4GBs to map its ram to, so that's why you don't lose memory with not much memory installed. But if you have 4GBs installed and a 512MB video card the video card has to map itself somewhere in the first 4GBs of memory addresses so you only get 3.5GBs or less depending on other ram mapped devices.

Ahh ok, this makes more sense. Thank you for explaining.

You should read this article as well:
http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

With a 32bit OS and 4GB of RAM, you only be able to use about ~3.5GB of RAM. Add a video card with 1GB of VRAM, you're now down to 2.5GB of RAM. I'm using 4GB of RAM myself but can only use 3GB of it due to my 8800GT 512MB.

I've been on a 64bit OS since XP x64 pro went RTM years ago. Had a few compatibly problems, the main one was punkbuster but that was fixed in two weeks and I have been fine since.

You should switch already, jeeeezzzz. It baffles me why people with over 3gb of RAM are still using 32bit.

I've been on a 64bit OS since XP x64 pro went RTM years ago. Had a few compatibly problems, the main one was punkbuster but that was fixed in two weeks and I have been fine since.

You should switch already, jeeeezzzz. It baffles me why people with over 3gb of RAM are still using 32bit.

Is 4gb a decent amount for Vista 64bit? By "decent" I mean is it like having the equivalent of 2gb RAM on XP 32bit. I'm planning on picking up a copy of Vista 64bit soon and just curious about performance.

Another vote for Vista 64.

I love it and have never looked back. No issues whatsoever.

Some games run slower on vista than they do on xp. Name source games like counter-strike source, dod source and team fortress 2. I also noticed that unreal tournament 3 runs MUCH slower on vista. Although nobody plays ut3.

Is 4gb a decent amount for Vista 64bit? By "decent" I mean is it like having the equivalent of 2gb RAM on XP 32bit. I'm planning on picking up a copy of Vista 64bit soon and just curious about performance.

Yup, I'd say 4gb is the ideal amount for Vista x64. I have 8gb in my rig but I rarely the memory usage even above 3gb (probably partially due to Vista's better memory management).

I run vista64 with 8gb, and I personally find games are noticeably faster than xp32 (and vista 32 home premium for that matter.) I'm on Vista ultimate 64 now.

Vista64 has also been more stable across the board for me. I'm never going back!

Like many in these forums I would truthfully prefer to run Windows XP, regardless of the fact that it can't use the 4GB of memory I have in this system. But then I moved to an Nvidia chipset board and it's drivers are incompatible with one of my SATA ROM drives. The result was constant BSODs.

So I took a chance and installed Vista 32 bit. It no longer gave me the blue screens. But then I started playing Age of Conan. And I decided to upgrade my video to SLi 8800GTs. It worked fine for every other game I had except AoC. There I could hardly play for over 30 minutes without getting an "Out of Memory" error. And I couldn't zone at all without getting an "Assertion Failed Error". Not knowing anything else to try I decided to install Vista 64 bit.

Now I can use all of my memory. I haven't had any issues with the Nvidia display driver. And, while AoC still has major issues (namely a memory leak...) I can at least play for several hours, and I only crash when I zone several times. Of course your mileage may vary, but I don't see some of the issues that people where having prior to SP1. Just don't expect to get many 64-bit applications... 32-bit is still the mainstream for software.

One thing to add here... I'm using Vista 64 and love it for the most part. The only problem I've had, regard older games with 16 bit installers. They won't install... Kinda wish I had dual-booted for that reason alone. If that isn't a concern to you, then Vista 64 is a winner.

One thing to add here... I'm using Vista 64 and love it for the most part. The only problem I've had, regard older games with 16 bit installers. They won't install... Kinda wish I had dual-booted for that reason alone. If that isn't a concern to you, then Vista 64 is a winner.

You might want to try DOSBox or Virtual PC for 16-bit stuff.

Back