XP activation servers

satterth

n00b
I've rebuilt a couple of XP computers for friends last week, I choose the online activation method and all went ok.

Today i started another one, but now it fails the activation. I've even tried activating a technet key (from work) inside a VM and it fails too.

Just to save some time later, i started the Windows updates, WGA complains XP is not activated, then takes me to a MS Webpage saying since XP can't be purchased anymore it won't activate.

Does anyone know if Microsoft has taken down the activation servers for XP?

I'd just call them if the online activation didn't work. It's quick and easy.

If MS took down the XP activation server:

1. It would be on the front page of cnn.com, slashdot, hardocp, linux.org, microsoft.com, apple.com, and <insert any news or tech website here>.<any top-level domain>

2. You wouldn't be the first person asking.

Just activated an OEM copy of XP today. It is system builders though, NOT Dell, HP, etc. Those codes don't always work for me.

Recently moved and don't have a phone hooked up yet. Telco needs to run new lines from the pole.

Tried activating XP (online method) saturday, sunday, monday and tuesday. Finally worked on wednesday.

The Windows 7 activations went just fine. I thought, maybe, the XP portion was taken out. I've never experienced an outage for that long. Any other time i've experienced activation failures, i've just waited till later that day or the next and it works again.

Back