XP doesn't see more than 2 GB RAM

DusanV

Limp Gawd
I have a Mac Pro with 4 GB RAM. When I boot XP it only sees 2 GB (OS X sees the full 4 GB). I know it's a 32 bit OS and all that but MS claims it supports up to 4 GB. XP sees 3 GB for some people on the same machine as mine. I tried /PAE switch in boot.ini but it didn't do anything. Any wisdom for me other than 'install 64 bit Vista/XP'? Thanks.

2GB or 2.98GB? If it's close to 3GB, that's all you're going to see in 32-bit Windows on the Mac Pro.

No, it's saying 2 GB in System Control Panel and Task Manager also shows only 2 GB. It'd be OK if I could at least see 3 GB. Why would MS claim 4 GB support then??

Dont use boot camp, use the CMOS to change boot drives.
You will need to have a windows install that will work as a single hard drive (ie no dependancy on other drives but can work fine with them).

2GB or 2.98GB? If it's close to 3GB, that's all you're going to see in 32-bit Windows on the Mac Pro.

That isn't all you can get in a 32bit windows... what is with all the prolefeed
a 32bit OS can ONLY address 2^32 unique addresses. SOme of these addresses are used for other hardware (NIC,HD...) some for mmap'ed files and the rest for RAM

Try reading the link in my original post.
Did *you* read it? Or just see the parts you wanted to see?

Whether you use PAE or not, the memory addresses reserved for devices that need it, that space is still taken. PAE doesn't magically give that space back. In fact on server grade Windows OS's, with PAE, that space is *still* taken, ie. 16GB comes out to approx. 15.8GB total. PAE simply gives the OS the ability to "step over" that taken space.

The page even says PAE on workstation grade OS's is just for enabling DEP. Which has nothing to do with RAM. The terms "more than 4GB" and "greater than 4GB" are thrown around a bit too. "up to 4GB" and "more than 4GB" are not the same.

Whether you use PAE or not, the memory addresses reserved for devices that need it, that space is still taken. PAE doesn't magically give that space back.

It's true that the memory hole doesn't go away. That is also why you in modern computers have the option to remap memory. That wat you have some ram sitting below 4G and some above. The ram above can be accessed if you use PAE

Back