XP Pro Freezing

GlobalFear

2[H]4U
XP pro freezes on the 9th pass of the bar every time. If I boot into safemode w/ netwroking it works fine. (thats how im typing this.)

9th pass ?
My systems tend to boot with only three passes.
Specs ?
Is it a fresh install or has it been running for a while ?

First run Memtest86 to check your ram for errors.
What are your temps & voltages.
Think Format C: and re-install if data loss is not a problem.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Shuttle sn85G4v2
AMD64 3200+ s754
Corsair 3200LL 2.2.2.5
WD 160gb Caviar
ati 9500 Pro (yeah I know)
LiteOn DVD +- RW

BenQ FP937s
Logitech MX Duo

Pulled ram from another system to test, same thing.
Data Loss is a problem. Alot of older stuff that is a pain too get my hands on. I could backup everything to dvd, but I would perfer not to.

it sunds like either a service or driver problem, since you can get into safe mode. try adding the /SOS switch to your boot.ini. you can do this in msconfig in the boot.ini tab by just checking the /SOS option in there (gotta love that!).

reboot from safe mode after that, and then instead of the windows scrolling thing showing, it will list all the drivers and modules and such as they load. which ever one it hangs up on should tip you off as to where your problem is.

Decided to leave tomorrow morning.

When booting normaly after enabling /sos it just says Windows XP Pro, 1 system cpu, 1024 of ram
When booting into safemode it gives me the option to skip a347bus.sys

It loads into safemode either way.

so it's hanging on the very first thing, and not listing any drivers or mudules loading when you boot regular?

yep

It just tells me my os and that i have 1 cpu and a gig of ram.

Just took it a part a put everything back together same thing.

Wow! This sounds like the exact problem I was having recently. Windows XP take forever to boot. Then suddenly it just frooze. SafeMode however ALWAYS worked. Turns out for me though, my HD's decided to get bad sectors, crash and die. RMA'ed those suckas today.

Tried using the repair feature of the xp disk
Loads all the divers and shit, then two minutes after it crashes.

HDs failing? That'd be my guess at this point. Get some of those nifty programs like MemTest Prime86 and test your sytem. Then go get the Disk that came with your HD that should have HD checking software on it.

yeah, hard drive failures end up being really goofy. if you can't even boot to the recovery console from the cd, but you can boot to safe mode, something is really screwed up.

might see if you can run chkdsk from safemode using the GUI, right clicking your drive in my computer, choosing properties and tools tab fromt here. check the boxes for fixing errors and stuff. it may ask you to reboot and schedule it for next time you star up, i would guess to just go into safe mode again and see if it runs checkdisk before safemode loads.

i recently had one of my WD raptors crap out on me, had to RMA it.... funny thing was that it was so messed up, the single disk that failed causes my entire RAID 1 array to die. so much for RAID 1 being the ultimate in cheap back up.

thedude42 said:
i recently had one of my WD raptors crap out on me, had to RMA it.... funny thing was that it was so messed up, the single disk that failed causes my entire RAID 1 array to die. so much for RAID 1 being the ultimate in cheap back up.

YES! Same thing happened to me. Except with Seagate. One drive went bad and the next thing I know both of them died on me. Wtf mate.

omg! that's soooo lame! gotta be somehting like that to make you pull your hair out, probably 99 cent pieces of trash and they end up being critical to system boot. LOL!

LAugh your ass off, bad ide cables.........

Now another problem: Can't install ati drivers. Tells me to use a normal vga driver, but the card isnt listed in the device manager?

Leaving now.....

Back