XP Pro SP2 32bit Academic about $81 bucks shipped

doesn't that mean it prompts you for a 98 or ME disk while installing? thats what my standard XP pro upgrade does, 1 minor extra step during install :)

No need to have 98 or ME pre-installed or anything, i'm 99% sure the academic Pro version is the same (?)

SO any previous version of Windows will let you install the upgrade . . . could I HYPOTHETICALLY re-use the same 98 / ME / 2K disc or does it ID the serial for registration?

Pete84 said:
SO any previous version of Windows will let you install the upgrade . . . could I HYPOTHETICALLY re-use the same 98 / ME / 2K disc or does it ID the serial for registration?
You won't have any issue with your old 98/me/2000 discs when installing XP Pro upgrade edition, really ;). If anything the more common issue is that people don't have their old editions lying around to aid in the install process.

If you have an old os(later than 95 at least, iirc) installed still, it'll install over that, which was nice for me. Otherwise just toss in an older disc if you still have them.

I learned from a friend that was sold PC with a piriated verison of windows that the Upgrade will install over it and turn it in to a legal copy, or so I was told anyways

Should. The upgrade should work with any MS OS since 95, as long as you meet the hardware requirements.

Back