XP Pro Upgrade Version?

The Hunter

Limp Gawd
I've got a few questions regarding the upgrade versions of XP Pro (as in, not the full version). First of all, can you do a clean install, or does it have to be on top of an existing install? Secondly, what is required to install the upgrade? Do you just give it a CD key for a supported previous version?

My specific situation is this: I'm going to buy a laptop from Dell, and it's cheaper for me to get XP pro from my university than to get it installed on the laptop. I also want to have a plain copy of the OS (not the garbage restore disks that put all the Dell crap back on). So, is it possible for me to do a clean install on that laptop if I just have the CD key and whatever stupid restore disk they give me?

Also, does anyone know if the windows versions that MS sells to universities for students are normal retail versions, or are they the OEM ones without activation, etc.?

you can do a clean install.. use the upgrade disc and at some point during the upgrade it will ask for the old disk to verify that its a upgrade,

The difference in cost for dell is only about $40 from home to pro.. unless they are in try ing to get more

Well, for Dell canada, they charge 150 to go to pro from home, whereas it's only 110 from my school. Also, this way I get a version of windows that doesn't have the crap that Dell puts on, which is a big plus in my books. Thanks for the help!

I used a XP Pro Upgrade disk to install XP on my system. I didnt have an existing Operating system on it and it installed just fine as if it's Not the Upgrade Version, and as if it's just your regular XP Pro OS.

Back