XP SP3?

Jutsu

[H]ard|Gawd
I know SP3 was removed from Automatic Updates which was supposed to be released at the end of June but you could still get by running Windows Update. However I recently searched for updates on a SP2 computer, WU tells me there nothing available. I must have missed something... regardless though you still download it from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/...A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

I have used this to slip stream SP3 into an install CD, and installed the service pack on a few clients about a month ago (which they have been running flawlessly). Does anyone know why it was pulled from Windows Update? The fact that it was pulled from Windows Update makes me even more hesitant to deploy it to rest of the computers, even though my test computer have been running fine. I have tried Google with no luck.

maybe a compatibility problem with that specific computer, i was able to download it a few days ago from WU

Not as today, I updated 5 PC's today with Updates. Everyone picked up SP3 as a critial update and did it auto. So its still there as of now

I went over to my parents house last weekend. During my visit, I did the normal maleware, antivirus, make-sure-windows-is-patched inspection on their PCs. When I ran windows update, it stopped me and prompted me to install XP SP3.

I went over to my parents house last weekend. During my visit, I did the normal maleware, antivirus, make-sure-windows-is-patched inspection on their PCs. When I ran windows update, it stopped me and prompted me to install XP SP3.

does not on every machine i think, but be careful if you do SP3 before IE7 i noticed it breaks updates sometimes. On a few machines i had to uninstall SP3 then install IE7 then install SP3 again. I have been cleaning PC's for years. Gotta love spyware, malware. I love the XP Antivirus 2008, ect. The funniest i've come across lately is one that installs and turns on a screen saver thats fake blue screen's. Some of the error messages are like bogus_driver, ect. It's sooo funny :p

I just updated over 100 workstations with SP3 over the past 2 weeks. It's on Automatic Update, after you install the newer scanning system and the new validation tool (automatically does for you). Make sure you notice the blue bar popup at the top of the view area of IE, you may have to r-click to install active x controll.

does not on every machine i think, but be careful if you do SP3 before IE7 i noticed it breaks updates sometimes. On a few machines i had to uninstall SP3 then install IE7 then install SP3 again.

That's odd. I just installed a new XP SP3 (newegg has them now) and put IE 7 on afterwards.
Why is IE7 not part of the XP SP3 install CD?

Microsoft can't specifically tie the browser to the OS itself anymore, and a service pack would be considered a major component of the OS itself in many respects. Service pack installation doesn't offer options or any level of customization; everything in the service pack gets installed, so if Microsoft threw IE7 into SP3, they'd be effectively forcing people to use it by automagically replacing IE6 and sticking everyone with IE7 like it or not. It has to be an optional component separate from the service pack.

I know, it's a bit odd that people still stick with IE6 considering almost every exploit for IE itself was done on IE6 in the first place, but some people just can't change and will forever live in the past. Bleh.

No, but they could offer a choice of IE7 or IE6 during the XP Install.
I just find it retarded that it takes about 20 minutes download and install IE7 on a fast E6850 machine.
FF3 takes 2 seconds to download and a few seconds to install.

That's odd. I just installed a new XP SP3 (newegg has them now) and put IE 7 on afterwards.
Why is IE7 not part of the XP SP3 install CD?

idk, just something i noticed at work. It happens sometimes

Back