XP, Vista now Windows 7......Ugh(rant)

How do you know Vista is better than 7? Do you have 7 already? Uh huh..... you are just upset because Vista is being phased out because its overhyped crap. LOL

You really that dumb? He was being sarcastic and alluding to the XP Vista nonsense that happened upon vista's release.

BEWARE!!! huge wall of text rant with foul language:(

What's the problem with Vista that they are making Windows 7? Why not just fix the "problem" or add the features into Vista? It's still fairly new I thought.

I'm begining to feel like I am being milked every few years for a new O.S. The money is NOT the issue. I hate all the problems that always seem to come with it.

Somebody suggested in another thread that Microsoft just charge a yearly fee for there software and they in turn keep it updated and fully featured(i.e. Direct X). I think that's a fair to everybody business model.

Doesn't this upset developers out there who have to update and/or rewrite software because of this? So next year software companies are going to be writing software for XP, Vista, Windows 7 in 32 and 64bit versions. Doesn't this cost a lot of money? I am a gamer. I have gamer friends that won't even try Vista yet. IMO it is just recently comming around to a great operating system(after finally chucking my X-Fi soundcard).

Who are these people that wait in line the night before to get the new windows? What is so exciting about getting a new O.S.? The drivers are all fucked up forever on the damn things. Some old great software and hardware is not going to work and The O.S. itself is going to have problems. The people who wait in line obviously understand it, why can't I understand it?

Why do my friends still love XP when were already moving on to windows 7? Why is every component in my system rated at 5.9 in my windows experience index no mater what I put in or replace? Wtf am I missing in all this bullshit? ....besides the QQ :D

I will probably get windows 7 as soon as it comes out because knowing M.S., vista wont support DirectX 12. I might as well get used to 7 as fast as possible. I just feel like shit. Everything is FINALLY running so bitchen on my Vista 64 system =/

Thanks for reading my rant,
Mike

Windows 7 uses the same driver models as Vista. So all drivers and all apps that work on Vista will work on Windows 7.
Yes, that driver model changed with Vista, and it really needed to. Sure there was an adjustment period but now most people running Vista report it's fast and stable. And those same drivers have more time to mature before Windows 7 comes out.

They aren't milking you. It's normal for MS to release a new OS every couple of years. It just took longer with Vista. Most of you kiddies started using computers with XP. Hell most developers started their careers with XP. So most people haven't used the operating systems before XP and most don't remember that the issues with Vista were pretty much the same issues with XP when it launched.

Apple releases a new OSX every 1.5 to 2.5 years.

And we love it when they do.

Snow Leopard here we come! :D

What's also intresting to note is snow leopard is the same thing that Windows 7 is, at least according to many. Nothing but a fix for the current OS.

Apple stated that Leopard is slow and buggy. Or rather not as polished as they would like and snow leopard is there way of stopping things and just fixing what is there. Optimizing code. Not really adding much in terms of features.

But the apple fanboys absolutely love that while the Microsoft folks are just pissed off.

Same difference.

Because Apple's trashed Vista's image in the eyes of the general public beyond repair.

Because Apple's trashed Vista's image in the eyes of the general public beyond repair.

Sorry, but Vista's image was tarnished wayyy before apple started bashing them. We used it on 5 out of 20 computers here at work when It first came out. Nothing but problems, driver issues, network issues, so on and so forth. So we shit canned vista and ran XP untill SP1 came out, tried vista again, same issues. Found work arounds that helped but device settings would not stick, drivers would corrupt . Even with a good network Admin, firewall, server and client tools to protect from malware/viruses , computers would still become infected with crap here and there. Vista is a great OS if you are a Gamer, Thats why I call it Wintendo . In the real world, it there is no benefit to running vista. We went back to XP on 2 boxes for the girls that could not grasp using a different OS, the other clients run Ubuntu and all servers switched to Ubuntu server. Guess what, no problems.

Windows 7? hahaha . What a joke. Fix vista, fix the driver , virus, malware issues and build off that . Maybe develop an kernel that is actually semi-hardened?

Sorry, but Vista's image was tarnished wayyy before apple started bashing them. We used it on 5 out of 20 computers here at work when It first came out. Nothing but problems, driver issues, network issues, so on and so forth. So we shit canned vista and ran XP untill SP1 came out, tried vista again, same issues. Found work arounds that helped but device settings would not stick, drivers would corrupt . Even with a good network Admin, firewall, server and client tools to protect from malware/viruses , computers would still become infected with crap here and there. Vista is a great OS if you are a Gamer, Thats why I call it Wintendo . In the real world, it there is no benefit to running vista. We went back to XP on 2 boxes for the girls that could not grasp using a different OS, the other clients run Ubuntu and all servers switched to Ubuntu server. Guess what, no problems.

Windows 7? hahaha . What a joke. Fix vista, fix the driver , virus, malware issues and build off that . Maybe develop an kernel that is actually semi-hardened?

Yaa, ok. Just so you know, some one seems to post a post just like you did weekly around here and it get's pulled apart and examined and pretty much exposed as a pile of fud.

Yaa, ok. Just so you know, some one seems to post a post just like you did weekly around here and it get's pulled apart and examined and pretty much exposed as a pile of fud.

:rolleyes:

Think what you will. Do as you must. All I know is we have had alot of issues with it.
No Vista = No more issues.

The workforce is not [H] . Keep that in mind.

Think what you will. Do as you must. All I know is we have had alot of issues with it.
No Vista = No more issues.

The workforce is not [H] . Keep that in mind.

Well, just warning ya that you posted a bunch of dribble and tried to pass it off as fact, it's kind of insulting. I don't care one way or the other if you use which ever OS.

Dribble: Maybe develop an kernel that is actually semi-hardened?
-what are you even trying to say? do you know?

Dribble: Even with a good network Admin, firewall, server and client tools to protect from malware/viruses , computers would still become infected with crap here and there.
--good network admin? define that, as you obviously do not have one if your group policy can't even stop malware from infecting even vista

Dribble: Thats why I call it Wintendo
--that may impress the gals at work..

....and seriously, what kind of person takes a working corporate network off of XP and goes to Vista without even doing some trials first? And then to go back to XP.... what a complete waste of capital.

Well, just warning ya that you posted a bunch of dribble and tried to pass it off as fact, it's kind of insulting. I don't care one way or the other if you use which ever OS.

Dribble: Maybe develop an kernel that is actually semi-hardened?
-what are you even trying to say? do you know?

Dribble: Even with a good network Admin, firewall, server and client tools to protect from malware/viruses , computers would still become infected with crap here and there.
--good network admin? define that, as you obviously do not have one if your group policy can't even stop malware from infecting even vista

Dribble: Thats why I call it Wintendo
--that may impress the gals at work..

....and seriously, what kind of person takes a working corporate network off of XP and goes to Vista without even doing some trials first? And then to go back to XP.... what a complete waste of capital.

First off, we tried a few clients with vista, not the whole network. 2nd, group policy can only do so much to protect moron users. 3rd , semi-hardened kernel - Vista still allows for a very unsecured file system , flashy pop ups only do so much. So why does the average user still get infected with shit? Wintendo = When an OS is more focused on bling then what really matters. Dribble = what comes out of your mouth when someone complains that vista is a pile of shit. It is a pile of shit, not everyone ( self included ) cant be as 1337 as you .

Vista's kernel is as hardened as any consumer distribution of an OS out there. With UAC enabled, no malware or viruses can be installed without user confirmation. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

LOL @ this guy. We have Vista Buisness running on our entire floor where I work (yes, real world buddy), and have zero issues. They are tied to AD on a Server 2008 box, it all runs beautifully. Clearly he doesn't know what he's doing.

Sorry, but Vista's image was tarnished wayyy before apple started bashing them. We used it on 5 out of 20 computers here at work when It first came out. Nothing but problems, driver issues, network issues, so on and so forth.

So you're saying you used old hardware with a brand new OS and encountered problems? Well no shit. There's a reason why white papers are written, and people do their research before putting into production. Just because your infrastructure wasn't ready for a new OS doesn't mean it's shit. Who ever planned for the release is shit.

So we shit canned vista and ran XP untill SP1 came out, tried vista again, same issues. Found work arounds that helped but device settings would not stick, drivers would corrupt .

I've launched Vista Business SP1 on 15 machines in a business enviroment and not run into any of these issues. All new boxes, speced out to run Vista. No driver issues, no AD issues, nothing. Went as smooth as my XP SP3 re-image did at my primary office.

Even with a good network Admin, firewall, server and client tools to protect from malware/viruses , computers would still become infected with crap here and there.

Hmmm, been looking over a Vista/Server 2008 network for months with an Untangle UTM, and Kaspersky. . . haven't experienced anything of the sorts...

Vista is a great OS if you are a Gamer, Thats why I call it Wintendo . In the real world, it there is no benefit to running vista.

Better memory management? UAC? More stable platform, Improved driver model, the list goes on. . . how is there no benefit?

We went back to XP on 2 boxes for the girls that could not grasp using a different OS, the other clients run Ubuntu and all servers switched to Ubuntu server. Guess what, no problems.
And how exactly is Ubuntu workstation ready for prime time business? I'm hard pressed to believe that commercial LOB software is ready for your favorite *nix distro. . .

And that final rant is just pure fucking FUD. Vista as stable as a Windows release comes. Fix the driver? Talk to your hardware vendors. Vista was in development for a long period of time, if they didnt want to step up to the plate, how the fuck is that Microsoft's issue? Virus, malware issues? Really? Again like I said I look over plenty of Windows boxes, both in the work force and at home. As long as theyre being a NAT firewall, with decent anti-malware in place, coupled with UAC enabled they're fine. A kernel that is semi-hardened? What the fuck are you even refering to?

/rant

That's funny. I'm thinking DR_K13 needs to go works somewhere with even semi-competent technical staff. If, especially after SP1 was released, you still couldn't get Vista to run stable....well, let's just say the problem wasn't Vista.

P.I.C.N.I.C. anyone?

snip...

/rant

+1 Awesome post!

Vista is likewise in use in my office but only on systems that are new and have the horsepower to deal with it and those users have zero problems. Server 2008 is already near the end of testing and will be implemented soon as well.

And ROFLed when I read this in DR_K13's earlier post:

2nd, group policy can only do so much to protect moron users.

Sounds like somebody needs to learn to use AD and GPO. Users in my office aren't allowed to install ANYTHING thanks to the GPO and AD. Nothing. Nada. We don't even allow them to download .msi or .exe files anymore thanks to our Proxy server. If they need something specific they have to file paperwork through their manager. ;)

I am glad I held off on getting Vista. Now I can just skip a gen.

I would have also, but Microsoft generously sent me a pair of DVD's with 32 bit Ultimate and 64 bit Ultimate with an two keys for free.

Been using vista 64 for around 6 months now. Before I decided on a 64bit. I used windows xp 64 to see if I would have any issues from using a 64bit OS. After that went to vista when SP1 came out. Built a machine that had the power to run it. There was a few minor problems but nothing I couldn't fix. Its been rock solid stable. No BSOD's at all. But if you're still on XP now it may be better to wait for windows 7.

The main reason I went to 64bit was to use 8gigs of ram which is awesome :)

What the fuck are you talking about?

Driver settings would not stick? If you're actually configuring drivers for use on a workstation, you either know what you're doing and won't have problems, or are seriously doing something wrong.

Drivers would corrupt? What does that mean? What's becoming corrupted? If you have data corruption, that's a hard drive issue, not the OS, or the drivers.

Computers still became infected? With what? The only way they're being infected is if your IT is fucking retarded and giving every user admin access.

I cannot believe you had this experience with Vista, and absolutely no issues with Ubuntu. My experience with both were the exact opposite. See, on Ubuntu, anything at all that you do is immediately lost on system restart, unless you configure it not to. I've had lockup issues, bugs with stuff like bridge-utils, every update bricked the system, and don't even get me started on wireless. And then I switched to openSUSE. All issues disappeared.

Also, you're running Vista as a server? What type of server specifically? And why are you using a desktop OS in a server environment? :rolleyes:

Fix driver issues? Not Microsoft's fault.

Malware/virus issues? Not Microsoft's fault your IT department fails at group policy.

Develop a kernel that's actually semi-hardened? What does that mean? Vista's kernel is somehow different than XP's?

When can take a joke. There has to be a joke present though. As one of my favorite all-time forum quotes goes:

teh funnay != present.

The proper term is Crawfishin', not trolling.

(You know, cuz crawfish walk backwards)

Windows 7 is up on the torrent sites. From someone I know you can install existing Vista drivers on it. So far it's as stable and fast as Vista but, um, he hasen't tested it enough. Gaming is on par with XP and Vista, maybe a wee bit more FPS.

New media center is nice. Larger video support is in and works well. It's going to make a nice HTPC OS.

So far so good!

Back