XP90 to Ultra 120?

ATW

Limp Gawd
I've read the reviews on the Ultra 120, but they generally just show comparisons to other 120mm heatsinks. What kind of temperature difference could reasonably be expected switching from XP90/Panaflo H1B to an Ultra 120/M1A?

I switched from an XP-90c to a Scythe infinity.

But I also switched cases at the same time. It dropped my load temps by about 2C, but I think most of the change is just the better overall airflow of the case.

Total fan count including PSU & HSF fans...
Before: 6 - 80mm fans, 1 - 92mm fan (total: 7 = LOUD)
After: 3 - 120mm fans, 1- 140mm fan (total: 4 = QUIET!)

The XP-90C blows the air straight down on to the motherboard which is not as good as the design of the newer heatpipe HSF's which you can aim towards the back of the PC and exhaust the hot air straight out.

Before:
mycomp4.jpg

After:
mycomp5.jpg

I was expecting a lot more than that. 2C doesn't seem hardly worth an investment of $70.

It's not worth it really. I think 1-2C is the most you can expect.
[H] did a heatsink comparison a while back and the XP-90 won.
For the quality and price, I think it's the best out.

Well in that case, I'll have to look into other methods for dropping a few degrees. Anything over 1.35v and I'm in the 52-53C load region, and I'd like to drop it down to the mid 40's.

I have the Xp90 and my temps are about the same as yours. I think to achieve the temps you want, you'll need to go water. It's a little more expensive but it's way more efficient then air. It's also more quiet.

Back