XPS M1710 SCALDING HOT!

WarMace

Gawd
My Dell XPS M1710 gets scalding hot, too hot to hold a finger to for more than 2 seconds after 2 hours of gaming.

And at around the 2 hour mark i get graphics corruptions and crashing.

Is this normal when the laptop is on a desktop?

I wish i had a temp to tell you...

Which side of the laptop, left or right? Are your fans working? Are any of the vents, particularly the ones on the bottom free of restriction?

its in the center at the connector for the docking station. Im not kidding its too hot to touch for a second or two.

So dell had me reinstall the video drivers, reboot and run some diagnostic stress test from a utility partition.

It passed, like i had any doubts. I alwase get the video cards that have some flawed feature that never shows in canned benchmarks, but when i game it goes kaput!

Well needless to say i ran oblivion and pow http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9528/img3325mz1.jpg

This laptop has issues with all games so i know its not oblivion, it crashes when it gets hot.

Obvlivion = peak gpu use = heat. Too much heat = bad.
And those high end mobile gpus are hot, that's why they're not in smaller laptops.

The heatsinks may have a buildup of dust, or the fans aren't cooling enough.

Maybe canned air will help. Maybe a laptop active cooling pad. Might still want to follow up with Dell though.

Well after last nights chat with dell, they had me uninstall video drivers in safe mode, and re-download new ones off the support site. I did not have enough time to test it because it was 11pm, but it did run the nVidia stress test for 6 hours while i was sleeping.

I fully understand that laptops run hot, but graphics corruption? Stop errors? only after 2 hours? That is not acceptable in my opinion for a flagship laptop, and i feel something more is wrong here.

looking into the fins with a flashlight, they are shiny clean, and the fan is too. I gave it a blast of air anyway, but no junk came out.

On a good note the fans NEVER reached high fan speed before (in 4 months) in windows before crashing. But after reinstalling the video drivers and running my tests i could actually hear them blowing for once. Possibly the driver for the fan was not working fully?:confused:

Update on my issue:

Normally I would let this thread Die. Dell diagnosed the issue to a faulty video card and replaced it today. But here is where things get interesting.

When I go to reinstall my drivers for the new card it says no compatible drivers found. Hmmmm, these are the ones I used last time...

So the big question is did I get a upgrade, or a downgrade? Before I had the 7900 GTX. Next step up would be the 7950 GTX, or down would be a 7900 GTS. Bandwidth at work is sapped so it'll be an hour before the 7950 drivers are finished installing.

Yay, its the 7950GTX!

Now i need to test it to see if it works and get a laptop cooler.

Back