XSPC Raystorm Bend

skizzled

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,

I'm considering keeping the XSPC Raystorm block that I got for fairly cheap or sending it back and getting something else that is more solid.

One thing is nagging me, though. I didn't think about it at the time of purchase but does the acrylic hold down spider flex or bend when it's mounted? If so, would it be of any concern over a long period of time?

I'm afraid of there being a bend and then slowly, a crack starts forming which will then lead to complete catastrophic failure of the mounting mechanism. Are my concerns just paranoia or would this eventually happen?

I know there's an aluminum replacement which should be stronger but that's another $20+shipping which puts it in the range of another block that I'm looking at.

Thanks!

I've not seen any reports anywhere of hold down failures of the Raystorm block/hold down since the block came out.

If you pay attention while mounting it, you shouldn't have any problems. I could have sworn that I saw a pic of one that had bent, but it was user error - the owner just kept cranking when he mounted it.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Saw someone on OCN post pictures of their AMD hold down which was bowed a bit. But, that's not the Intel one, so I'm not too worried about it anymore.

Probably going to end up sticking with this block, just makes more sense and its a damn good performer from everything that I've seen.

I have this block (on 1155) and haven't had a single issue with bowing or cracking. I have had this for about 9 months and just finished cleaning up everything and remounted it and i didn't see or notice any issues.

To add, I tighten two opposite corners at the same time so it had equal pressure. Also I personally tight all till the thumb screw is almost as tight as I can get them by hand.

Last edited:
I have this block (on 1155) and haven't had a single issue with bowing or cracking. I have had this for about 9 months and just finished cleaning up everything and remounted it and i didn't see or notice any issues.

To add, I tighten two opposite corners at the same time so it had equal pressure. Also I personally tight all till the thumb screw is almost as tight as I can get them by hand.
Nice. Thanks for the report. Definitely seems like a solid block.

Back