xubuntu install on old p3?

kinson

Gawd
I can't get xubuntu 7.10 to install on an old vaio I have. It's got a cheesy pIII something and another and 256mb of ram... Just trying to get something to install that I can goof around with, and possibly work on some web design while in that mood of not sitting at my desk.

I would just go buy a new laptop or a 'newer' laptop but I don't have the cash right now and just want something to sit around the house with when I feel like moving.

I burnt the iso to a cd, put it in, everything pops up properly. I install using text and all it says is something about assuming the bios is ready. I'll have to try again to get the complete text. But it sits there like it wants to do something but doesn't move at all...

I tried xpresslinux and I get the same thing, not the bios stuff but it just sits there!

Code:
ACIP: DMI BIOS year==0, assuming ACPI-capable machine

btw << noob at linux

omg, after a long time of rebooting, retrying, it finally started to load, now I just have to finish the install!

after an hour of installing I get the same thing. It gets to screen "starting up... acpi:... etc..."

When I run it in the recovery mode I get... Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -371836474 ns)

I know there is a command that will fix it...

It just takes about 5 reboots and startups to get it to run... If anyone knows that'd rock...

And after doing that, grab the alternate install disc and use that instead. I've got Xubuntu 7.04 running on my old laptop, P3 with ony 128m and it runs fine...

I finally got it to install, it wasn't the an old bios (I couldn't update it anyway no support for it anymore) I don't remember what it was but I changed it and got it working! Now all I have to do is keep the laptop from shutting off due to a bad cable :'(

Back