YAATQ - Yet another ATI Tool Question :D - X1800XT

Eshelon

Weaksauce
I know some folks are using ATI Tool with thier x1800xt, so this is for them.

I've figured out how to set up different profiles, and how to set up 3D detection. There's no problem switching from 2D mode to the 3D overclocked settings but switching back locks my computer up every time. Also I wanted to ask about my temps to see if you think they are acceptable. I'm running everything stock.

Right now:
2D Settings are core/mem 595/697, GPU Voltage 1.275
3D Settings are core/mem 695/787, GPU Voltage 1.475

Idle Temp = 52 - 54C
Load with 3D OC on = 82 - 85C

Also I'm wondering at what temps things are getting dangerous so I can set my fan speeds @ what temps accordingly.

And lastly, how do I get it to stop locking up when going from 3D mode to 2D mode?

Well I've figured one thing out. When I go from 3D settings to Default settings to 2D settings I don't crash. I think this is because Default only changes GPU/Mem clocks and leaves the voltage @1.475, then changing to 2D settings only changes the voltage. Therefore I think the reason it crashes going from 3D to 2D is because during the switch it's dropping the voltage first, then the clocks, which causes it to crash since the lower volts can't support the higher clocks. Is there any way to make it lower the clocks first, then the volts?

Eshelon said:
Well I've figured one thing out. When I go from 3D settings to Default settings to 2D settings I don't crash. I think this is because Default only changes GPU/Mem clocks and leaves the voltage @1.475, then changing to 2D settings only changes the voltage. Therefore I think the reason it crashes going from 3D to 2D is because during the switch it's dropping the voltage first, then the clocks, which causes it to crash since the lower volts can't support the higher clocks. Is there any way to make it lower the clocks first, then the volts?

ATI Tool does not work for overclocking the X1800XT yet too many bugs, and do not load any speed profiles with ATI tool either. I use AtI tool only to override the fan speeds and speed up the fan and either use catalist control panel or if you don't like ccc like a lot of people, there is a third party overclocking tool available but I cannot remember the web site to download it, I just use catalist control center and have had no problems at all. Good Luck.

jgdiaz said:
ATI Tool does not work for overclocking the X1800XT yet too many bugs, and do not load any speed profiles with ATI tool either. I use AtI tool only to override the fan speeds and speed up the fan and either use catalist control panel or if you don't like ccc like a lot of people, there is a third party overclocking tool available but I cannot remember the web site to download it, I just use catalist control center and have had no problems at all. Good Luck.
The problem with CCC is even at max OC 590/800 performance is barely changed from stock settings, gaining only roughly 100 3D Marks. However 595/785 with ATI Tool increased performance by just under 1100 3D Marks. ATI Tool doesn't seem buggy to me minus it's inability to drop clocks before dropping voltage. But if I want to I can just run 1.475 volts all the time and only change the clocks when 3D is detected but I'm not sure if that's safe. Plus I'm still not sure about my temps, need more feedback on that.

Back