YAR! DNS Gurus Ahoy! Secret Pirate Booty Question inside!

typhoon43

2[H]4U
You gotta get flashy with your titles these days or the threads sink like cannoned schooners.
OK, done with the nautical theme, I promise :D

Trying to streamline the What's Up Pro install I'm doing and I'd like to give it a nice alias so I can just type Whatsup in the browser and get there. The only catch is that we have another site running on port 80, so I have What's Up Pro on :8080. DNS won't do ports, so I'm a little lost how to set the Alias in the DNS console. Will I have to get funky in IIS, and have it forward requests for a certain page to that :8080 address? It just sucks typing http://servername:8080 to get there right now.

Any help is appreciated gang.
Thanks!

If it's a private server, then just give the machine another IP and us that for the second web site. If it's public or you don't like the first suggestion, use a host header for each site.

I guess I could try another IP, but how would that help if IIS isn't doing host headers on it? I'd still have to type the port number on the end of the IP. The thing here is that IIS is not managing this site on :8080. Ipswitch uses their own, built-in webserver.

I'm assuming this is your own server. Go into the TCPIP properties of the NIC. Add another IP address. Go into IIS manager. Open the properties of the site. Change the IP from all unassigned to the one you added. This will allow the new site for Whatsup to respond to only that given IP.

There are three ways to host multiple sites on an IIS server:
- Use different ports for each one
- Use different IPs for each one
- Use host headers

Pick your poison. You don't like the first option, so you have two choices.

Open the properties of the site. Change the IP from all unassigned to the one you added. This will allow the new site for Whatsup to respond to only that given IP.

I'm assuming you only have the default site in IIS setup since you said WhatsUp has its own web server. So youd have to do as MorfiusX said with the addition of creating a second site in IIS that answers on the second IP, then auto forwards to the WhatsUp server on port 8080. Unless WhatsUp lets you choose what IP to respond on... not familiar with the setup of that.

So, for example:
IIS site 1: 192.168.1.1
IIS site 2: 192.168.1.2, where a document resides that redirects to 192.168.1.2:8080.

That's my theory anyway.

Back