Yep, it's back. MGS4 on Xbox 360 Rumor Alive With Extra Spice!

Defective

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, ok. This was on Kotaku as a rumor but the source site states it as direct from a Konami distribution rep. MGS4 coming to the Xbox 360 about a year after the PS3.

Now, before anyone shoots the messenger, I'm bringing it up because they sound pretty sure of themselves. Obviously, we don't have a Konami press release so it should still be treated as a rumor. If true, it will be pretty cool for 360 owners. I like multiplatform games and I think it's a smart move for Konami (again, if true).

http://xboxfamily.com/xf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1123&Itemid=2

*Grabs cigarette and blindfold*

I really wish all games were multi-platform. I know it will never happen, but it would be great for consumers if they only had to buy one system to play all the great games. One could either choose the 360 or the PS3 (still consider the Wii a different animal altogether) and get to play Mass Effect, Uncharted, MGS4, R&C, Gears.... I could actually sell one of the systems. :) Ahh, in a perfect world.

I really wish all games were multi-platform. I know it will never happen, but it would be great for consumers if they only had to buy one system to play all the great games. One could either choose the 360 or the PS3 (still consider the Wii a different animal altogether) and get to play Mass Effect, Uncharted, MGS4, R&C, Gears.... I could actually sell one of the systems. :) Ahh, in a perfect world.

At least it's better than it was. There are many more multi-platform games this generation than ever before.

Every 2 months we get this rumor. Even if it is true, do you really think people will wait an entire year to play the game? Considering it is a worldwide release I don't think they have to worry about sales.

Every 2 months we get this rumor. Even if it is true, do you really think people will wait an entire year to play the game? Considering it is a worldwide release I don't think they have to worry about sales.

The PS3 sales on exclusive games has been really crappy lately. I think MGS4 will sell better than many of the exclusives out now. When it comes to multi-platform titles, 360 versions seem to get more than double the sales of the PS3 versions. If they launched at the same time, I would safely say that a 360 version would greatly outsell PS3 version in sales, but a year late it might just match sales numbers of the PS3 version in the US . . . unless (unlikely though it may be) the game doesn't deliver the gameplay people expect.

What's the point of 2 different systems with the same games? Pay $400+ for a different controller style?

I wish games would stop being so damn multi-platform.

What's the point of 2 different systems with the same games? Pay $400+ for a different controller style?

So one game system can rule them all and be a benevolent monopoly? Nah, I'll take competition and multi-platform games.

Different media player functionality, one might do anti-aliasing better, online capability... basically all the differences there are now could be on two systems with the same games.

That's exactly my point. I wouldn't have to have both systems if everything I wanted to play was multi-platform. I could either choose 360 (Live, HD-DVD) or PS3 (Blu-Ray, reliability/quiet). I could choose a system on what other extras I want and not worry about what games I am missing out on by making the choice.

More multiplatform for me.

I wish the same. As I will never buy a Microsoft system.

Look at it this way, if all games were multi-platform, there would be more of an increased chance for cross platform probably a larger install base like UT3 could be. You would have that many more people playing the games and more shit talking :D.

At least it's better than it was. There are many more multi-platform games this generation than ever before.

Very true. I only miss out on a few games. I have a Wii and Xbox360. I am not missing a PS3 at all except for Uncharted which seems good. I hate the MGS series so I am not missing out on that. I really don't know what other PS3 exclusive games there are or will be that I would want to play. Which is why PS3 is selling the least. Why pay more for a system that has the same games as it's cheaper competitor (leaving out the obvious blu ray and arguable graphical capabilities).

However, if I didn't have a Wii I would miss out a lot more since Nintendo has more games specifically for it's console.

Very true. I only miss out on a few games. I have a Wii and Xbox360. I am not missing a PS3 at all except for Uncharted which seems good. I hate the MGS series so I am not missing out on that. I really don't know what other PS3 exclusive games there are or will be that I would want to play.

However, if I didn't have a Wii I would miss out a lot more since Nintendo has more games specifically for it's console.

That's what I said about the 360 when I was first looking at it. Obviously that changed. For the PS3, I bought it because of Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, and the next installment of Final Fantasy. They have all been an amazing series of games for me throughout the years. I mean I don't know what I am getting on the 360 for the future. I know if the future follows the past then the PS3 will turn out great. I don't know what the 360 will be. That's the chance to you take I suppose.

That's what I said about the 360 when I was first looking at it. Obviously that changed. For the PS3, I bought it because of Resident Evil 5, Silent Hill 5, and the next installment of Final Fantasy. They have all been an amazing series of games for me throughout the years. I mean I don't know what I am getting on the 360 for the future. I know if the future follows the past then the PS3 will turn out great. I don't know what the 360 will be. That's the chance to you take I suppose.

I haven't enjoy Final Fantasy since FFIX. I really wish I could say different. Resident Evil 5 looks pretty solid, forgot about that. You're right about 360's future. As far as I know there aren't any exclusives that I'm looking forward too.

Yeah well it's tough to beat FF9 :). It's a really good game. FF5, FF7 and FF9 are all badass games. :D

The logic i'm going by is the same one that would lead me to buy a Wii, which i'm also considering. All of the Mario games have been awesome man. I've seen Galaxy and it looks pretty darn good.

I wouldn't want to see MGS4 on the 360 unless more titles from the 360 are quality ports to the PS3. Obviously that would never happy though.

Yeah. I bet there are a ton of people who don't own or intend to own a PS3, but are still fans of the metal gear series. I bet it would sell quite well on 360 a year later. I'd certainly buy it.

Yeah well it's tough to beat FF9 :). It's a really good game. FF5, FF7 and FF9 are all badass games. :D

The logic i'm going by is the same one that would lead me to buy a Wii, which i'm also considering. All of the Mario games have been awesome man. I've seen Galaxy and it looks pretty darn good.

I wouldn't want to see MGS4 on the 360 unless more titles from the 360 are quality ports to the PS3. Obviously that would never happy though.

I just got a Wii and only played a few games. Haven't tried Mario Galaxy yet but Nintendo is top quality when it comes to their games. A Wii is worth the $250 if you only ever buy Mario and Zelda games.

You also gotta think of the online capabilities of a console. Xbox Live is more solid and established than anything on the PS3 or Wii so far.

I honestly think the people who own a PS3 bought it to play Blu Ray movies, playing games second. If you're a videophile and need the best, PS3 is the cheapest Blu Ray player at there, or atleast the last time I checked.

Yeah true. Live looks a lot better than what the PS3 has. I'm still hoping that the PS3's Home will change that though. The Wii isn't really competing in that area and they don't really need to.

I'm sure quite a few people bought the PS3 because of the Blu-Ray player. I didn't totally but it was a nice feature to have on it. If it didn't have the Blu-Ray player on it, it would probably only made my decision cheaper. :)

Yeah true. Live looks a lot better than what the PS3 has. I'm still hoping that the PS3's Home will change that though. The Wii isn't really competing in that area and they don't really need to.

I'm sure quite a few people bought the PS3 because of the Blu-Ray player. I didn't totally but it was a nice feature to have on it. If it didn't have the Blu-Ray player on it, it would probably only made my decision cheaper. :)

I did read a preview at Shacknews about PS3's Second Life type MMO that is coming out very soon. It actually looks really cool. You can build your own house a decorate it and such. That will certainly improve Sony's online network and community.

A bit off topic, I'm actually surprised that their hasn't been a good popular MMO(RPG) for a console yet. Phantasy Star is the only one that comes to mind, but was never widely popular. I guess MMO's are still very keyboard/mouse dependent. You can play WoW with a xbox360 controller though(google it), it's doable. Oh well, that enough of my rant.

@Op: a year later? what else is new, can anyone say deja vu?

as for the 360 future/exclusives, are you serious?

2008 360 exclusives:
Too Human
Alan Wake
Halo Wars
Fable 2
Ninja Gaiden 2
Splinter Cell
Gears of War 2 (possibly)
Banjo
World in Conflict
Lost Odyssey
Elveon
Bully: Scholarship Edition
Warhammer: Battle March
Huxley

let's not forget the games that ms has yet to announce, then there is also the exclusive DLC in games such as GTA4 that 360 owners get to enjoy. I'll be more than happy to make the same argument for ps3, I just hate fanboy responses. This time next year, both systems will have a nice library of exclusives as well as cross-platform titles.

Don't know if this is true or not (and don't care since I have both a PS3 and 360) but it makes perfect sense if it is. I think the bean counters at Konami have figured out that exclusive on PS3 is not going to pay the enormous development costs of this title...I say the 360 version comes out 6 months after PS3. (if it happens at all)

edit- I wouldn't be surprised to see some 360 exclusives eventually hit the PS3...console loyalty doesn't help the pocketbooks of game developers.

We'll I'm not going to buy a ps3 to play it, so yes I will wait a year.

Multi-platform games homogenize the video game industry, not the reverse. It stifles creativity and leaves imagination at the door.

Not to mention, it makes consoles more PC-like in function and form.

Multi-platform games homogenize the video game industry, not the reverse. It stifles creativity and leaves imagination at the door.

People always use that argument and it just makes no sense to me. If a game is poor, it won't sell well. Period. Doesn't matter if it's an exclusive or multiplatform.

We'll I'm not going to buy a ps3 to play it, so yes I will wait a year.

You would be in a small minority. The average consumer is going to want the game then and there. Sure guys like us can wait because there just seems to be a flux of games coming out on both systems over the next year or two, but to the average consumer/player...I don't think they would want to wait a year to play a game they have been lusting over.

Again, I understand. It's 08 now, and I think I want to finally try out Resistance after so much talk of R2. Either way, MGS will most likely be a day 1 for me. Even if I didn't own a PS3, it would be a system seller. I have a thing about skipping games. Even if it did come out a year later on the 360, it would be old news to me and I would be moving on to the next game that captures my interest and would not visit it until another year or two has passed.

Edit- The more people get to play exclusive games on multiple consoles the better. I just hate seeing others get extras when it goes to another system while the original owners get nothing, lol.

I would love to see a 360 version because quite frankly, right now between MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII, I only have 2 reasons to buy a PS3 and that's not enough. Girlfriend bought me a brand new Elite for Xmas, so I'm a bit biased but... yeah. Even Japanese RPGs are showing up on the 360!

Hopefully, the 360 version of MGS4 will be an enhanced "Subsistance" like version and release not long after the PS3, instead of a year.

I don't understand this argument. If Gears was on the PS3 or Uncharted on the 360, would that magically make them worse games? Did COD4 suck because it was a multiplatform game? Maybe I am just not understanding what your argument is.

I would love to see a 360 version because quite frankly, right now between MGS4 and Final Fantasy XIII, I only have 2 reasons to buy a PS3 and that's not enough.

My stance from the beginning. i could maybe add one maybe two to that list, but there isn't anything out there that makes me want to shell out another 500-600 on a new platform. Honestly, I'd like it if they got it together, but I don't see it happening at this stage in the game. Fortunately, my brother's a collector, so I can borrow/play his :D

I don't think Konami has committed quite as heavily to the idea of multi-platform releases as other developers, and certainly not to 360 releases in general. That's what makes me doubtful. Then again, 360 owners have shown a tremendous willingness to actually buy lots of games, which has got to be tempting to any company. So that's a point in the rumor's favor.

Ultimately, I think a lot will come down to how Sony and Microsoft handle the situation. Even a small "bribe" by one of them could determine how the situation goes down.

I don't think Konami has committed quite as heavily to the idea of multi-platform releases as other developers, and certainly not to 360 releases in general. That's what makes me doubtful. Then again, 360 owners have shown a tremendous willingness to actually buy lots of games, which has got to be tempting to any company. So that's a point in the rumor's favor.

Ultimately, I think a lot will come down to how Sony and Microsoft handle the situation. Even a small "bribe" by one of them could determine how the situation goes down.

It's hard for me to imagine MS not "courting" Konami to put it on 360 as well. I think Kojima is the driving force behind the game being PS3 exclusive. I have no doubts the suits and bean counters want a 360 version, it would likely sell a ton.

Different media player functionality, one might do anti-aliasing better, online capability... basically all the differences there are now could be on two systems with the same games.
What you’re describing is basically a PC venture. Exclusive titles are one of the key elements to the console market. I'm glad there are platform specific games.

What you’re describing is basically a PC venture. Exclusive titles are one of the key elements to the console market. I'm glad there are platform specific games.

Why would anyone be glad there are exclusive games? Do you not like having choices? You have to spend an extra few hundred dollars on a second console that largely does the exact same thing as the first only to play a handful of extra games, why not just play it all on one system? There is no advantage in any way to having exclusive games.

If every game was cross platform Sony and MS would have no choice but to put more emphasis on things like customer service, XBL and PSN, downloadable content, and media center functionality in order to differentiate the two consoles. Please remind me how that is a bad thing.

I would think Konami is in some type of contract or legal agreement with Sony to keep MGS4 on PS3 for a certain period of time whether its a year or five. Once that is over, then they have to consider if it's financially profitable to invest the money to have it ported to XBOX or another platform.

Why would anyone be glad there are exclusive games? Do you not like having choices? You have to spend an extra few hundred dollars on a second console that largely does the exact same thing as the first only to play a handful of extra games, why not just play it all on one system? There is no advantage in any way to having exclusive games.

If every game was cross platform Sony and MS would have no choice but to put more emphasis on things like customer service, XBL and PSN, downloadable content, and media center functionality in order to differentiate the two consoles. Please remind me how that is a bad thing.
In a personally sadistic way, I enjoy the competition between all three parties. Competition is the lifeline of ingenuity. One variable to make your company a competitor is to have exclusive companies (titles). There are many advantages to have exclusive titles. First and foremost, exclusive titles sell systems. There is no arguing that point. Second, exclusive titles take advantage of system technology. This happens to be the case with the Wii. Many of the Wii game play mechanics can not be replicated on competing system. This example leads me to the next question. Who would actually agree on a semi-standard system setup (graphics, controls, disc format, etc.)? Not one of these current companies will have anyone dictate what they can and cannot do within a given range of options. I understand your point about having one system, but if this came to fruition we would just be playing with a PC when all is said and done. I know I do not use my gaming machine specifically for a media player, and having that ability is a bonus for me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I respect yours.

I would think Konami is in some type of contract or legal agreement with Sony to keep MGS4 on PS3 for a certain period of time whether its a year or five. Once that is over, then they have to consider if it's financially profitable to invest the money to have it ported to XBOX or another platform.

I don't think there would be such an agreement. Konami is a big developer/publisher. They don't need Sony for anything so there is no reason for them to be locked into the PS3 unless Sony paid them an awful lot of money to be so.

I don't really like multiplatform games I feel that the exclusive titles push the bar for better games if all games were released on all system I think all games would start sucking more and more as time passed.

Remember competition is good.

Even still Konami is a big company, it would still make financial and strategical sense for Sony to pay them to make the game exclusive. Sony desperatly needs to push sales of their console.

Even still Konami is a big company, it would still make financial and strategical sense for Sony to pay them to make the game exclusive. Sony desperatly needs to push sales of their console.

The reasons I don't think Sony would have done it were the size of their first party development stable and the games they were publishing also. Maybe if they had known a long time ago that Lair, Heavenly Sword and Uncharted were all going to tank in sales they might have done it, but Sony had big titles they were marketing when when MGS4 was earlier in development. It's too late now, there is no way Konami would sign an agreement like that now. The price of staying exclusive to the PS3 would certainly have gone up since sales of exclusive PS3 games have not been great.

Back