Yet another G5 mod

Excellent!
I have been staring at my brand new G5 case for months, trying to decide how to proceed.
Like you, I am hestitant about taking the easy way out with a standard mobo tray (although I did acquire a Lian-li tray just to look at).

If you don't mind, I have a few questions...
-To remove the LH (mobo) side panel, do you really have to undo the two zillion fasteners all around the case edges?
-Is that sidepanel double layered? The standoffs are swaged into the inner surface but I don't see any traces of the process on the outer skin.
-What kind of screws is Apple using? None of the Torx bits seem to fit very well...in fact, none of my normal bits seem a good fit.

Any info appreciated and good luck with your project.

I spy with my little eye...a Zalman CNPS 3100! I've got one on my XP 1800, and I love it. But why use a passive CPU HSF and negate the silence with two gigantic jet engines?

Mohonri: I plan up upgrading the system when I get new components, those huge fans are there to cool whatever monstrous amount of heat the new system will put out. (who knows it might not be much heat) Also the fans aren't that loud on their lowest speeds, and in fact I get more airflow verses sound level than I have had in the past with smaller fans.

sprocket: I wouldn't recommend removing the screws that hold the case together, as once they are all out the outer caseing is extremely hard to take off and put back on, and requires a lot of bending of the top and bottom arches. The only reason I did it was to get dynamat around the insides.

As for double layered, Apple uses a very cool way of hiding the different screw holes and mounting points (pretty much every single screw hole and mount point in the entire case). I believe they first drill a hole, and then place whatever mount/screw they need at that point and apply pressure and lots of heat, as you can see when taking out different mounting points that the bottom of the mount looks molded to the holes' top flange.

For the screws I'm using some standard hex wrenches and a star head bit. I'm not exactly use what sizes, I just have a bunch and try them till it fits. :p

Thats look bitchen, i like the stripe idea you though up (two tone and all)

But why so much cooling power? The specs of the machine dont look like its going to need anythign more than a 120mm on fornt and back.

Destos said:
sprocket: I wouldn't recommend removing the screws that hold the case together...
Ah.
Well, that saved me some grief...

As for double layered, Apple uses a very cool way of hiding the different screw holes and mounting points (pretty much every single screw hole and mount point in the entire case). I believe they first drill a hole, and then place whatever mount/screw hole type they need at that point and apply pressure and lots of heat, as you can see when taking out different mounting points that the bottom of the mount looks molded to the holes top flange.
So the mobo wall is NOT double layered, Apple is just clever about blending the inserts into the exterior brushed finish?

For the screws I'm using some standard hex wrenches and a star head bit. I'm not exactly use what sizes, I just have a bunch and try them till it fits. :p
Gotcha.
Thanks.

I(illa Bee said:
Thats look bitchen, i like the stripe idea you though up (two tone and all)

But why so much cooling power? The specs of the machine dont look like its going to need anythign more than a 120mm on fornt and back.
future plans for expansion maybe?

looking nice.

the black knight always triumphs!

Yeah like I had stated they are there for future expansion. They also serve as a means in which to intimidate people at a lan party. Not many people can boast about revving their computer fans. Vrooooom VROOOoooom.

Right now I have the fans at 7v with them adjusted to a low speed, They produce about as much noise as two 120mm fans. Of course the dynamat helps a little :)

Now for more images!

front_panel_cable.jpg

front panel cabling, nothing is hooked up right now, there seams to be a short with the button, which was giving me random resets.

cabling.jpg

Front panel cables that lead to a junction board hidden under the motherboard. I'll take pictures of the board later.

top_fan_assembly.jpg

Top part of the fan assembly, with grommets and the screw heads that are used for a locking mechanism.

bottom_fan_assembly.jpg

Bottom of the fan assembly, as you can see I did some cleaning up and got rid of the edges.

fan_assembly.jpg

The full fan assembly, the plexi in the middle is clear, But I might just paint everything black OR leave the plexi clear and just paint the metal black.

fan_lock_parts.jpg

Parts for the fan locking mechanism.

fan_lock_holes.jpg

Holes that where drilled into the CD drive mounting plate to allow the fan assembly to lock into it.

fan_lock.jpg

Everything mounted and locked into position. The fan lock allows me to easily put in or take out the fans without having to take the entire computer apart.

moded_fan_holder.jpg

This used to be square and blocking many of the perforated holes. Now it doesn't :) (also painted black)

case_open.jpg

The case as It stands now, I'm going to go with a flat black theme inside, so I'm going to sleeve all the cables black. I also will be making some plexi ducts to move air where its needed, and those might stay clear or ill give them a black paint job, I haven't decided yet.

back_panel.jpg

I took the easy way out with the back panel, instead of making adapters for all the ports I want to use I just cut holes for the ports I use. Just sound, Ethernet and some usb ports.
Ill line it with some thin black rubber or something so it doesn't look terrible.

Any updates on this case?

A very clean G5 going on here....

-bZj

Yeah looks like a great project, I love the idea of two monster fans replacing all those annoying whiney little fans.

What surprise seeing this bumped :p

Anyways sorry for not posting any updates. After the essentials where installed I started using it again and didn't feel like taking it all apart.

Due to your kind bumpage, I'll finish the paint and what not tomorrow. ( I might even post a video. :eek: as if there was anything to see. )

I want to make a nice plexi air baffle to displace more air over the video card and CPU.
Right now there is a piece of cardboard ( ghetooo stamps plz ) acting as an air baffle.

I guess I could try making a wood template and bending some heated plexi over it. But I don't have a heat gun, or one of those plexi bending rod stands. :(

I also am starting the planning for my next mod, which will be a custom made carbon fibre case. The case mod is being made for the HL2 mod NeoTokyo
The Planning thread can be found here.

Check back Sunday evening for updates on the G5 mod.

Next sunday ;)

Dang, Destos, where do I know you from? Pheaton?
The mod looks awesome, too! I like how you're modding the appearence of the G5 case instead of just having PC parts inside a stock-looking G5 case.

Back