Yet another p182 cooling thread...

jenkins

Limp Gawd
Alright, so I just picked up the SE, and I'm looking for some advice on cooling. Here's what I'm trying not to fry:

eVga 680i SLI
e6600
2gb ballistix ddr2 1066
8800gts (640mb)
250gb WD (x2)
500gb WD
X-fi Xtrememusic
Corsair 520hx

I've gone ahead and picked up a Thermalright Ultra 120, and a Thermaltake Thunderblade which I plan on mounting to it. Beyond that, I've got all the antec 120's that came with the case. I also have 2 Scythe S-flex 120's with 49cfm.

Here's my thinking, let me know what you think. I intend to mount the Thunderblade on the right side of the Thermaright ultra, pointing towards the heatsink to pull in air, and shoot it through the heatsink, directly into one of the antec tri-cool exhausts. I am going to place my hard drives in the lower bay, and use the Tri-cool that is already there. The upper hard drive bay will be mounted with both Scythe 120's to cool the 8800gts, as well as pull in fresh air from the front of the case. I have not yet decided what to do about the top 120 vent. I've heard it causes some problems with heating if left alone.

I intend to overclock the ram and the chip - i'm leaving the video alone.

Let me know what you think. All comments are welcome, as I am new to this case, and new to OC'ing. Thanks again,

-jenkins

Bump, for urgency. I've got have this done tommorrow, sorry to be a pain about it.

I have a p180 and that setup seems fine.

I think the top fan is suppose to be set as an exhaust, but I read a thread here on these forums that setting it as an intake can improve temperatures. But I suggest you try it as an exhaust first.

That sounds good but how are you going to mount 2 x Scythe fans in the upper hard drive bay? It only has space for 1 x 120mm unless you are mounting the second fan somewhere else.

You can mount on fan in the front of the case (on the right side of the upper HDD bay) and you can actually mount another 120mm fan on the left side of the HDD chamber as well.

Your plan sounds fine to me. No complaints with it.

The P180/2 has some wire clips for the extra 120mm fan on the back of the top HDD cage, for all those wondering.

Goodness, that's a lot of fans compared to my p180... I'm running one Yate Loon in the upper bay and one at the rear exhaust, one Tri-Cool in the top (since you can't run Yate Loons horizontally and my S-Flex doesn't fit), and that's it. My Ninja runs fanless :p

Maybe I'm just underdoing it.

I have the P182 and the way i have it is like this. One Tri-Cool fan blowing air IN from the front of the case. The back fan is blowing air OUT because my Tuniq Tower is blowing air out to it. The top fan i have it blowing air in. Now my case fans are one Tri-Cool and 2 Panflos that do 114CFM at 2700RPM....so im moving alot of air around.

Sounds great guys, thanks for the comments. I've tried to do my homework, but I wanted to run it by some other people as well.

I'll see what happens when I use the top as an exhaust, then i'll try reversing it and compare.

Thanks again,
Jenkins

Back