Yikes...pirated Display Eater = doom?

ugh I get such a headache reading their "articles" sometimes.

if it's real, it's Very Bad Form(tm) on the developer's part.

ugh I get such a headache reading their "articles" sometimes.

if it's real, it's Very Bad Form(tm) on the developer's part.

True, the site is often a victim of its own "cleverness." I mainly pay attention only if the item in question is linked to the original source, as I don't want to have to figure out the Inq's jargon sometimes.

So this "display eater" records video which you (the user?) can convert into quick time format and kills your home directory if you use pirated software with it? A few questions.
1. Why call it display eater? Why not home directory eater?
2. Why call it an eater? Why not apple genuine advantage?
3. What they hell does recording video have to do will killing a home directory?

Ughhhhh inq -_-

So this "display eater" records video which you (the user?) can convert into quick time format and kills your home directory if you use pirated software with it? A few questions.
3. What they hell does recording video have to do will killing a home directory?

Ughhhhh inq -_-
Wow, nice job missing the entire article.

Go back to 5th grade. You obviously missed out on the reading comprehension part.

Ughhhhh inq -_-

As the above poster mentioned, please return to 5th grade

Basically, its a program that will record your whats happening on your computer. But if you try to install the program with a pirated key, it will delete your home file.

I don't get the problem here, thieves suffer, how is that a bad thing?

It looks like the developer just made this up as an anti-piracy scare tactic. I'd hate to say it, but I think it's somewhat clever. FWIW, the app's now free (link below).

"""
It was my hope that if people thought this happened, they would not try to pirate the program. I could stop wasting time writing copy protection routines to be broken over and over.
""" -- http://www.reversecode.com/

Wow, nice job missing the entire article.
Go back to 5th grade. You obviously missed out on the reading comprehension part.

Yes. I'm aware of what the program does. I was simply pointing out undeveloped information in the inq article as well as the idea that apple would be stupid to call any sort of forced user software a "killer" of any variety.
Inq said:
Display Eater records motion video on your screen which you can then convert to a quicktime movie.

Thanks for reading the subtext though ;)

I have to admit, the author making the program free and open source is a fittingly ironic end to the whole affair- get for free the program that claimed to make pirates suffer!

However writing in his bog here, Karsten Kusche, who works for another Apple software maker Briksoftware, says that if you try to use a pirated serial number with Display Eater, the software will delete your home file, which in Mac land is the same as killing your computer.
Is there no limit to how goddamned incompetent the Inq's "reporters" can be?

Back