Yonah benchies at XS, just warming up

Bao01 said:
You said it! SPi 1M in 22.5 secs. Check out the memory timings and FSB - 209mhz.

Just think, Conroe at 266.7 FSB, hehehehe!

2.7GHz @ 1.3v is pretty nice. 166 -> 209 QDR FSB is not stressful on anything. It will be interesting to see how high he goes.

He says in post 509 that he bumped the voltage from 1.25v to 1.3v so it's not stock. And he's using water cooling, strange since it's a 31W CPU @ stock... 2.7GHz @ 1.3v would still only be around 40-41W. Maybe the heatsink the board comes with is very weak.

pxc said:
2.7GHz @ 1.3v is pretty nice. 166 -> 209 QDR FSB is not stressful on anything. It will be interesting to see how high he goes.

He says in post 509 that he bumped the voltage from 1.25v to 1.3v so it's not stock. And he's using water cooling, strange since it's a 31W CPU @ stock... 2.7GHz @ 1.3v would still only be around 40-41W. Maybe the heatsink the board comes with is very weak.

Maybe he's just using water cooling so he doesn't have to swap from air to water as he pushes it further and further.

perplex said:
Maybe he's just using water cooling so he doesn't have to swap from air to water as he pushes it further and further.

I was thinking the same. He's an extreme overclocker and that thread is a Yonah competition thread so chances are he just feels like going straight to water or even testing out the water block first thing to make sure it fits in his excitement. For whatever reason, even passive cooling may do the trick for that kind of oc ;)

Kyosen ran core duo T2600 with bare Intel 945 chipset MoDT (mobile on desktop) mobo....The real ones with 975X still nowhere to be found.

Retail box...no stock hs/fan..."Bring your own hs/fan" for air cooling.

picture6jy.jpg

centvalny said:
Kyosen ran core duo T2600 with bare Intel 945 chipset MoDT (mobile on desktop) mobo....The real ones with 975X still nowhere to be found.

HEY ASUS!!! WE NEED ANOTHER SOCKET 479 ADAPTER FOR THIS NEW PROCESSORS!! (sorry for yelling. Wanted to make sure they heard. :p )

Well, at least technology is moving in the right direction.

centvalny said:

Yeah i know. Its sad really, a potental monster is held back by the lack of MBs. Will be very intresting when 975Xs show up.

Abits coming with a killer 975x yonah/ merom M/B very soon. I will still wait on the 20% faster clock for clock Conroe.

Aopen San Jose only got 1 working sample board straight from Taiwan and it ended up @ Tom's hardware review....
Who's gonna have it after Tom :)

r0t0man said:
Yeah i know. Its sad really, a potental monster is held back by the lack of MBs. Will be very intresting when 975Xs show up.

Seriously, you'd think the mobo vendors would jump all over Dothan/Yonah for the HTPC crowd if nothing else. I agree with you 100%.

JetUsafMech said:
Seriously, you'd think the mobo vendors would jump all over Dothan/Yonah for the HTPC crowd if nothing else. I agree with you 100%.

They did, it's called VIIV.

I'm very excited about Conroe as well.

I've built hundreds of computers over the years and have never been an AMD fan.

T-Birds ran WAY too hot, their corresponding VIA chipsets were flaky and had many compatibility issues. P3 ran cool and the Intel 815, etc. chipsets were infallible.

The XP CPUs could not keep up with a P4 with 1066RD or an OC'd P4 with DC DDR. Again, more chipset stability, compatibilty and performance issues.

The AMD64 comes out performs much better and runs much cooler than the much older P4 from a processor perspective, but the early chipsets for them have poor memory performance. Also, multitasking left MUCH to be desired compared to HT P4.

WTH doesn't AMD make a chipset and their own boards?

Finally S939 comes out and things take a huge turn for the better.

VIA chipsets offer DC support, seem to be mature as stability is great and USB compatibility is decent.
nForce 4 offers SLI. The SLI chipset specifically offers great stability and a great way to upgrade graphic performance without removing an exsiting card and wasting money. (Don't know why its more stable. Newer = more mature than regular nForce 4?)
SiS I won't bother with as they are a low performing value chipset.

There are still a few issues that bother me. VIA has no SLI, nVidia still has data corruption issues running multiple SATA drives, their RAID can cause BSODS and their HW firewall software has a setting that corrupts internet downlaods and its turned on by default. But these issues I don't see too often, so I was thinking.....

Finally time to make the switch?

Then I see these conroe benches...... :eek:

AMD64 like or better performance and I get to use an Intel chipset!!! SWEET!

Hold on a minute....I need a $300 CAN mobo (975X cough) and I only get crossfire, NO SLI!

GRRRRRR.....

975x can't come quickly enough.....I want to make me a new htpc :)

i'm working on getting the Aopen 975 boards and will be doing Core Duo/Aopen bundling.

can't wait!

dave

Back