You guys talk about nothing but Dell LCDs..

Tengis

Supreme [H]ardness
Why does everyone love Dell LCDs so much? There are plenty of other brands and models with similar specs, or better specs comparible to jesus. Jesus LCD > Dell.

I love my BenQ fp937s, its sexy.

The only good thing about Dell monitors are the panels they use. Yes, that's the most important thing in the display but their build quality and design is very bad IMO. That's why I don't like Dell LCDs that much. I'd rather pay more for a higher quality built and better designed monitor but I can see why they are sopopular as their prices are very attractive.

I went with the Viewsonic VP201s over the Dell, and I'm very happy with it. Although maybe I would have been able to get two Dell's for the price... hmmm... *reconsiders*

One bad characteristic about Dell....they have the *WORST* customer support I've seen in my life. Their support reps are in India and the Phillipines (and God knows where else). Good luck trying to communicate with people who don't speak english clearly, don't understand english clearly, and through a phone connection that is barely passable. They have hot keyed scripts.....this is easily seen when your are doing live chat via your computer and they answer questions in an awkward through grammatically perfect way. I've had to return two 2001fps and each time I asked them for pickup at my work. Each time they dispatched the UPS guys to my home. And after I told them of this, they still dispatched a guy to come to my home *AND* my work. Two dudes for one box. And this is just part of the story. I won't even get into how they wanted to stick me with restocking fees. How ironic that a company that made it's name in customer service now has customer service that is truely awful.

Greenwit said:
One bad characteristic about Dell....they have the *WORST* customer support I've seen in my life. Their support reps are in India and the Phillipines (and God knows where else). Good luck trying to communicate with people who don't speak english clearly, don't understand english clearly, and through a phone connection that is barely passable. They have hot keyed scripts.....this is easily seen when your are doing live chat via your computer and they answer questions in an awkward through grammatically perfect way. I've had to return two 2001fps and each time I asked them for pickup at my work. Each time they dispatched the UPS guys to my home. And after I told them of this, they still dispatched a guy to come to my home *AND* my work. Two dudes for one box. And this is just part of the story. I won't even get into how they wanted to stick me with restocking fees. How ironic that a company that made it's name in customer service now has customer service that is truely awful.

how do u think they keep their prices so low? funny thing is in the survey they send u, they ask how good their rep's english is. i put 0 and commented it was really bad. i mustve repeated the sn 10x like it was somekind of prank on their side...i got so fed up i didnt bother for an xchange

It's the only thing i talk about because its the only thing i've been using for the last three years... was viewsonic before that - but better to talk about things you know about?

Maybe the problem is not enough people asking about models other than dells, not people talking about them :p

Roger said:
The only good thing about Dell monitors are the panels they use. Yes, that's the most important thing in the display but their build quality and design is very bad IMO. That's why I don't like Dell LCDs that much. I'd rather pay more for a higher quality built and better designed monitor but I can see why they are sopopular as their prices are very attractive.

This is what I though about Dell before. But the monitor is so cheap so I had to get one. In terms of design, I thing this thing looks great, really. I like black, with slim bezels. The base is a nice black and silver. Base adjustment is superb and smooth especially when adjusting from landscape to portrait. Plus you get extra USB and media reader ports on the side and back/bottom, great design. And you have that one botton to connect the panel to the stand instead of 4 screws that others use (although you'll probably only need to do this one time). Build quality is great. I don't have any problems with mine. I flip it to portrait mode once a day and back and so far, nothing has broken.

I think this is one of the better designed LCD monitors out there. Of course it does not beat Apple design. Nothing beats Apple design from their LCDs,imac, ipods, laptops etc. I've previously owned a Samsung 770T (17" circa 2001) horrid design, Samsung 191T (circa 2002) sleek slim bezel, but base was just bland and not adjustable friendly, and Viewsonic 190b (2002) good adjustable base but bezel design had curves making multiple monitor not able to sit flush next to each other. What is consistant about my observation is that Samsung panels rarely have dead pixels. I've bought 5 Samsung 191T and one 770T and only one had a stuck pixel. My Dell 2405 has no stuck pixel. The viewsonic had about 5 stuck pixels. I would love to see Samsung make a 30" rebadged by Dell, but that doesn't seem likely.

Greenwit said:
One bad characteristic about Dell....they have the *WORST* customer support I've seen in my life. Their support reps are in India and the Phillipines (and God knows where else). Good luck trying to communicate with people who don't speak english clearly, don't understand english clearly, and through a phone connection that is barely passable. They have hot keyed scripts.....this is easily seen when your are doing live chat via your computer and they answer questions in an awkward through grammatically perfect way.

Hehe...I'm finishing my Grad degree in Engineering so it's just like being at school anyways. :)

BTW I have never had to use Dell Customer Service because both the 2005fpw and 2405fpw were in tip top shape.

elder_shawn said:
Hehe...I'm finishing my Grad degree ..... both the 2005fpw and 2405fpw were in tip top shape.

Students today!! 24" LCDs?? In my day... pencils and paper :D

I couldnt agree more. If you are going to spend that much money on a LCD monitor you might as well get one that will last, unless you plan on buying another one when the next best thing comes out. The quality of dell monitors is very low. I almost considered selling my current monitor and get the Dell but my friend has it. I wanted to do a test on it so I left a black and white image on his screen for an hour or so. I came back to the computer, removed the image and you should still see it on the screen. No to say you will ever do this with a monitor, but it just goes to show its low quality. I predict in about 3 years you will start to see a lot of posts about having problems with the monitor. The best part is 99% of the people that love the monitor and think its awesome are the people that own one.

I'm not tryig to piss anyone off here, just stating the facts.

It can't be that crappy if they back it with a 3 year warranty. I've owned 4 Dell panels now and none of them have failed, the 2000FP is still going strong btw.

I will give Dell this, they have a great return policy. Also, the panels are great for gamers.

For us few graphic designers, we tend to not stay away from it. And those of us that are poor can't afford the great color reproducing LCD screens, we have our CRTs which are now far and few in between in this world. =0,

MicroUK said:
Students today!! 24" LCDs?? In my day... pencils and paper :D

Ha I was refering to all the foreign born students / teachers in Engineering...I've acquired a new ability to translate ENGRISH and iterations thereof.

ben johnson said:
I couldnt agree more. If you are going to spend that much money on a LCD monitor you might as well get one that will last, unless you plan on buying another one when the next best thing comes out. The quality of dell monitors is very low. I almost considered selling my current monitor and get the Dell but my friend has it. I wanted to do a test on it so I left a black and white image on his screen for an hour or so. I came back to the computer, removed the image and you should still see it on the screen. No to say you will ever do this with a monitor, but it just goes to show its low quality. I predict in about 3 years you will start to see a lot of posts about having problems with the monitor. The best part is 99% of the people that love the monitor and think its awesome are the people that own one.

I'm not tryig to piss anyone off here, just stating the facts.

That's funny. I leave my charts on from 8am to 6pm everyday and I don't have what you say (I assume you're talking about image burn in). The only LCD that I had that did that was my first circa 2001 $1700 17" LCD Samsung 770T. Didn't have it on my Samsung 191T's or Viewsonic 19" VG190B nor my current 2405. When I talk about charts, the charts are constantly moving as I have it set to 5minute intervals (stocks we're talking about here), but the box that surround them, and my list of stocks that I monitor (looks like an excel spreadsheet with lots of rectangles), and the static tool bars, all the static boxes and grids never exhibit burn ins. I still own the 770T and 191T's and while the 770T has been crappy from the start (I think the manufacturing was not mature then), the 191T's (which I have 5 of) exhibit no deterrioration. My one stuck pixel out of that lot has not grown, panels have not dimmed, don't have image burn ins etc...I use these monitors at least 12 hours a day, 6 days a week (inclusive of work time) for the last 2.5 years. On the new 2405, I've been running the same charts layout since I got them, which is about 2 weeks ago. 5 days a week, at least 9 hours a day without incident.

I would have liked to hear about your experience, either good or bad with LCD panels that you've had in the past. I think we'd all benefit from hearing your facts.

I've heard stories that some 2001fps did that (burn-in image thingies) but they were very few. Mine was fine in that regard.

Let me jump on the I don't want to hear anything more about Dell bandwagon. I just don't like that company from personal experience with service and business practices and the experience of others. I think their products are unattractively dull, and aesthetically disappointing. I will never purchase anything from Dell.

Show me a 24" LCD with better specs, a better warranty, a better return/exchange policy, and a better price ($913 total for mine) and I'll buy it!! :p

Well maybe he had a bad panel or something, but it did happen. I keep seeing posts about people receiving a bad monitor and havign to return it 2 times. One guy had 3 of them in his desk, 2 were returns. It's just not a high quality monitor, if it suits your need then it doesnt matter what I say. No one that spent $1200 on a monitor is going to say their monitor sucks, everyone that owns one is going to justify why its a good monitor some how.

Don't forget, Dell also treats Canadian customers like crap, with 25% higher prices.

Spare-Flair said:
Let me jump on the I don't want to hear anything more about Dell bandwagon. I just don't like that company from personal experience with service and business practices and the experience of others. I think their products are unattractively dull, and aesthetically disappointing. I will never purchase anything from Dell.

Sorry, no can do :D :p Plenty of forum goers own Dell LCDs and they will continue to post about it, and there is nothing you can do to stop us! just kiddin but hey, at least u made ur opinion heard :cool:

I spend too much time viewing my 2405's huge, gorgeous, dead/stuck pixel free screen to complain that the stand or bezel might be asthetically displeasing. :D

Stand/bezel - I don't even care what it looks like as long it's consistent (i.e not chipped or broken or pink color) :D

EDIT: time to change this thread to "How much I love my Dell LCD(s)" ;) :p

ben johnson said:
Well maybe he had a bad panel or something, but it did happen. I keep seeing posts about people receiving a bad monitor and havign to return it 2 times. One guy had 3 of them in his desk, 2 were returns. It's just not a high quality monitor, if it suits your need then it doesnt matter what I say. No one that spent $1200 on a monitor is going to say their monitor sucks, everyone that owns one is going to justify why its a good monitor some how.

If you read through the forum, most people are happy with the 2405, but most people had problems with the 2005. Don't know about the other 20" dell but am sure you can read through the threads.

As I had mentioned, I bought a 17" $1700 Samsung 770T in 2001 and it sucked. I didn't see other panels to compare, but it just sucked quality wise (bought sight unseen since there wasn't anyplace in my area selling them). There was some sort of swirl on the screen, had screen burn in, and stand that didn't do anything but tilt vertically. My viewsonic 190B was about $1500, and the panel had 4-5 stuck pixels from day one (also bought sight unseen). Needless to say, that sucked, but everything else about it was excellent. My Samsung 191T's which cost me $1180 each (yr 2002)which I bought 5 of, it's great. But the stand doesn't adjust well, and have variations in height between one and another (since I have them all lined up next to each other (4 of the 5)).

As soon as the 2405 start sucking, I'll come back online and bitch, I guarantee you that. I don't get what's so personal about spending money and having bought crap and saying so; the opposite experience also holds true. You need to realize that most people buy Dells sight unseen, since they don't have stores/kiosk in most places; they can't judge the product until it is bought and delivered. It's different if you can get to see it first and bought. Then if questioned, one can get defensive about their judgment.

I do appreciate people voicing their actual experience, so I'll know what to avoid and what to focus on on a new purchase. But let's keep it to people with actual experience and facts.

Trinitrotoluene said:
I could find many people that would disagree

i dunno bout the other dell panels but the 2405 is saweeettttttttttttttt. i notice no ghosting plus playing fps in WS gives an extra advantage if u can run custom resolutions. its so easy to spot snipers and people creeping up on you from the side in COD

EGGO said:
You may be right, as I was thinking of the 2001FP.
I must chime in and say that the 2001FP is actually pretty good for gaming... I play Ghost Recon, Delta Force BHD, Call Of Duty, Splinter Cell, Raven Shield and now Brothers In Arms and all the images look spectacular. Maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive to ghosting that many have complained about. But from my own experiences, and I'm no expert, I feel that the 2001FP is more than suffice to play games on... To each their own, I guess...

My 2405FP finally arived today - massive, maybe too big - but i can't deny the quality... and the stand mechanism - way it slots in... very tidy !!!

Feel free to make threads that aren't about Dell LCD's, no one is stopping you.

ben johnson said:
No one that spent $1200 on a monitor is going to say their monitor sucks, everyone that owns one is going to justify why its a good monitor some how.
Well if they thought it sucks they would return it during that 21 day satisfaction guaranteed period of time. ;)

I am not unwilling to critisize the 2405FPW. It still has some motion blur if you look for it during gameplay. I've described in another thread on how you can reproduce it at will. It's not distracting to me however and it's only noticeable under very strict circumstances. Also, I've had two of them and they both had two dead pixels. The second unit also has a small amount of backlight bleed in the upper left corner. This monitor is NOT perfect but it does not suck either. IMO, for the money it's a good deal and produces a nicer overall image than the 2005FPW did once you get gamma settings/rgb/brightness tuned properly.

ben johnson said:

that only shows how much people want it...if it wasn't worth it then they wouldnt go through all that trouble for a perfect one......you dont have to keep it

Back