You know what game I really miss?

Elipsn

Limp Gawd
Freespace 2 - you guys remember that? Originally it was Descent: Freespace, then they came out with freespace 2 - LOVED that game...

Any other space fighter games worth a damn out nowadays?? ...ahh, memories...

Freespace 2 - you guys remember that? Originally it was Descent: Freespace, then they came out with freespace 2 - LOVED that game...

Freespace 2 was amazing and clearly ahead of its time. I played through tha game numerous times, I lost count. The engine has been available as open source for years now and some indie devs have made attempts to use it. Nothing really followed though though. One game I played the alpha/beta of was the BSG flight sim game that was being done by a bunch of programmers. it was called beyond the red line and it was awesome. They were clearly on the right track but then stopped development on it and I never really got the whole story why but what they did do with it was pretty amazing imo.

We need a new space flight sim with todays tech.

This game was classic. The storyline, the radio chatter, the battles. Everything was top notch.

I remember reading about some new indie space flight sim that was in development, but I don't remember what it was called. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

God I LOVED Freespace 2. I still have the big collectors edition somewhere in my closet. Sniff....space sims have died out and im a sad panda....

Freelancer was the best, oh how I miss Freelancer

Freelancer. I still cannot forgive MS for pulling the master server.
There are workarounds, but it's hard to find a vanilla server, anymore.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Descent 4 must be released someday... I hope it goes back to the hardcore claustrophic and adrenaline pumping Descent 1-2. Not Descent 3 with more open levels and death that doesn´t mean anything.

Okay I can see that maybe people don´t want to run X-wing alliance or other... No I can´t really understand it but why with 50 million fps games sold are there no market for a fps title where you truly use all dimensions? I mean people get crazy about being allowed to fly in WOW so????

Can someone solve the mystery here?

Descent 4 must be released someday... I hope it goes back to the hardcore claustrophic and adrenaline pumping Descent 1-2. Not Descent 3 with more open levels and death that doesn´t mean anything.

Okay I can see that maybe people don´t want to run X-wing alliance or other... No I can´t really understand it but why with 50 million fps games sold are there no market for a fps title where you truly use all dimensions? I mean people get crazy about being allowed to fly in WOW so????

Can someone solve the mystery here?

Its simple, they don't make money off space/flight sims like the used to. Small demand + no revenue = no product

Personally, though Freespace 2 was a great game, if there's going to be a rerelease of a Space Flight Sim it really needs to be Tie Fighter.

Its simple, they don't make money off space/flight sims like the used to. Small demand + no revenue = no product

And why wouldn´t they make money on Descent 4? The formulae is exactly the same as for fps games you just add another dimension let you fly but with simple controls? No there is seriously nothing that say it´s anything less commercial then pretty much any other non ww 2 fps game out there :)

Thus it´s really weird that there is no clones for it at least. There has only been one offspring and that was quite successful... I forgot what it was called?

And why wouldn´t they make money on Descent 4? The formulae is exactly the same as for fps games you just add another dimension let you fly but with simple controls? No there is seriously nothing that say it´s anything less commercial then pretty much any other non ww 2 fps game out there :)

Thus it´s really weird that there is no clones for it at least. There has only been one offspring and that was quite successful... I forgot what it was called?

Forsaken?

X2: The Threat (kinda old, 2003, but fun) I think you can download from Steam.
X3: Reunion (2005) Great graphics, look pretty good even now, also available from Steam. Still playing this game; took about a 1.5 year hiatus from it.
X3: Terran Conflict (2009) Haven't played it yet.

All great games, but also huge learning curve especially learning how the economy work and how to build space stations. Not for people who gives up easily 'cause it will take you several hours just to get the hang of the game.

The game that started it all is X: Beyond The Frontier (1999) a very, very quirky game with some rough edges but hey, it started the entire franchise.

Get ready to be overwhelmed...

Freespace was great,

As was Xwing, Tie fighter, Xwing VS Tie fighter.

Wing Commander 4,
5 was fun but the story was a little off.
The earlier ones were neat but not quite as fun for me.

Descent itself was a ton of fun even though you were in mines not full "space"

I was kinda hoping that you were talking about Conan from the Apple IIe.
I miss that game.

Back