Your favorite video card

eddieck

Gawd
OCN's had a thread like this for a bit, and I don't see any at [H]. So the question is: what's your favorite video card of all time?

I'll start it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo3

My 3000 still works. I used it a few months ago as a backup card until I got my GTS 250.

there's been several threads like this...

mine is the ATi 9500 Pro with 256-bit bus unlocks 4 pixel pipes to 9700. ;)

Geforce 2 GTS.
Served me well for gaming at 1280x1024 until it was time to bite the bullit and get a Geforce 6600, had to pull down on the detail a bit at the end though.

Have a couple of old 3dfx cards lying around here somewhere.These were great in SLI.Cost arm and leg,but worked o-so-good.

Ti 4200 for sure.
Definitley not that shitty 9200SE that I got for my first build.

9600GSO 384mb

Core OC from 550-750mhz
Memory OC from 800-1025mhz

Had two in Sli got about the same FPS as my GTX275 at stock. I got them AMIR for $35 a piece a year or two ago. Still kicking myself for getting rid of them. Would have loved to Tri-sli them if nvidia wasn't so full of proprietary fail.

Hmm of all time? That would be a tough call. I would say the ones that standout the most in my memory are my Voodoo 3 3000 AGP, nVidia 6600GT, and nVidia 8800GTS. All were great buys for the time. Plenty of bag/buck and they stayed useful for a long time.

My fav is still my first....

The original 3dfx voodoo pci card. I think it had like 4mb of vram or something. Paid 220 for it at a local mall. Wish I still had it...gave it away some years back.

My TNT2 was such a huge upgrade and made such a difference. Actually saved money for it since I was in high school or whatever at the time.

nVidia 7900GS 256mb.

First card that I bought for actual PC gaming (before that point it was mostly consoles for me) and it was awesome. Was finally able to max out source games. Still have a soft spot for that card in my heart... probably one of the few pieces of hardware I've been sad to sell (other one was my Asus P5N-E SLI).

Voodoo 5 5500. I was lusting over that bad boy in HS. Never got my hands on one :(

My Favorite card I ever owned was my EVGA 7950 GT KO SSC . In fact I had 2 of them. I switched from them to 2 8800GT SC and was very dissapointed. Wasnt happy again until my dual 3870X2's which I loved but they both died and I was forced to switch to 4870's.

ATi Radeon 9800 Pro for sure. It was the reigning champ for quite awhile there.

Runner up: GeForce Ti 4600.

I used my Radeon 8500 for 6 years of CS but I'd say my current 8800GTS has worked very well for me.

Voodoo 5 5500. I was lusting over that bad boy in HS. Never got my hands on one :(

Sold one along with a Tyan G9500pro for $10 ea. a couple months ago (on the Rage3d forums)....still have a Rage Fury Maxx though :)

Anyway, my fav is the x800pro I flashed to xtpe; still have it running in a semi-retro rig.

8800GTS 512... that card has kept gaming strong for me and to this day is easily powerful enough for most peoples needs and will be around for another 4 years if it doesnt die. who cares if they keep re-branding it, that just shows how great the card is/was

My old Radeon 9700 Pro and a close second would be my 8800gts 512. The radeon card was pretty much my first graphics card purchased when I bought a dell before I had much knowledge of how much cheaper a gaming pc could be if you built it yourself. I finally burnt up that old 9700 pro trying to get a tad more performance out of it with a little too ballsy OC so I could play BF2. It didn't like that and the rest is history...
I still have my 8800Gts, it was just replaced by an HD5870. The thing I loved about the 8800GTS was the huge performance jump from the 7800GT I had prior to that. It easily doubled my framerates in everything and was also my first dual slot card.

8800 GTX ....still running rock solid on my machine..

I have two rig with x1600 Pro and x700 running DotA almost every few days in a week :)

Voodoo 2 SLI. It made my Compaq Presario 5240 into more of a gaming machine than a piece of crap. Had been stuck playing the original Counter-Strike and TFC in 400x300 with the onboard Rage Pro 2 Turbo or whatever it was.

I would like to build a computer with a pair of 8 or 12 meg ones again, for old games, Quake 1, Quake 2, Diablo 2, all the other games with beautiful glide rendering to their visuals.

voodoo3 3000, i had the PCI version I think I actually still have the orange box

very close is the geforce 3, the original one before the ti series, I still use it in my community PC

Ti 4200 for sure.
Definitley not that shitty 9200SE that I got for my first build.
You too, eh?
Haha
Favs: Ti 4200, 8800Ultra (I replaced it with a HD4850 and it ended up waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy slower), 9500, 6200 (that unlocked to 6600 and O/C'd like crazy -- I got mine to 600mhz with volts).

Hated: 9200SE

Voodoo 2 SLI.

+1

Anyone who has been gaming long enough to experience the transition to 3D accelerated games will likely feel the same way. You HAD to have a 3D accelerator to play some games, so getting one of these cards opened up your options and you felt like you were one of relatively few lucky people who were able to experience smooth 3D glory. :cool: Even for the games that didn't require a 3D card, it was a wondrous breath of fresh air as your 2D card or onboard video didn't have to struggle anymore. It was a pivotal, revolutionary time for PC gaming!

TNT2 Ultra, what was the name of that e-tailer that sold a bunch of them at half price? Yeah, I got mine that way for a cool $99, never bought anything there again.

9800 pro... Performance was so good and I loved staring at the tech demos for quite a while.

My fav is still my first....

The original 3dfx voodoo pci card. I think it had like 4mb of vram or something. Paid 220 for it at a local mall. Wish I still had it...gave it away some years back.

Same, it's the only one I specifically remember buying too, had just played the Tomb Raider demo and went out and bought the 3dfx Voodoo card when it was brand new, man it was so easy to be impressed by graphics back then :)

My Geforce 3 Ti is a close 2nd though because that card lasted me forever.

Probably my 8800GTS, I had it for longer than any other videocard I've had since I've started PC gaming and it let me play through Crysis on high when it came out. It's served me well.

+2
love idea of putting 3d card in addition to other card.
still have voodoo, voodoo banshe, and original tnt

voodoo2 was my first 3d card in my first computer that i built for myself so it gets a vote from me too haha.

was a big fan of the 9500non pro that modded to a 9700 as well, paid half the price of the 9700

9800pro FTW! Had a mx400 that i HATED once I found out what it could not do gaming wise and replaced it with the 9800. And the 9800's still kickin too! Just sent it to a guy at work to replace his 9550 and he said the same thing I did after starting my first game, wholy shit...

You know what's funny? At OCN it took like 6 pages for someone to mention a Voodoo card. Here it takes a few posts. :)

That would have to be my ATI 9700Pro. I remember getting a hell of a deal (@ $325...lol). Seems kind of comical now but I still have that card and it still works as good as new. It was revolutionary at launch.

TI 4200 was nice. Went from that to dual 6600 GTs. They played Morrowind nicely. But when Oblivion came around, I needed to upgrade. 9800 GT ran Oblivion pretty smooth. But then Crysis came along. Gaming with 2x 5970 now and still haven't played Crysis, LOL. But I can kick most games asses with this rig. I suppose the favorite video card is the last one you have. And that always will change!

Back