Your Laptop Picture [H]ere (read first post for rules please)

owned.gif

Well, since we cant get "real" guns over here in the UK, I shot that with an 11ft/lb air rifle, lets just say laptop screens are pretty tough :)

Zxcs said:
Well, since we cant get "real" guns over here in the UK, I shot that with an 11ft/lb air rifle, lets just say laptop screens are pretty tough :)

heck yeah they are! my sister stepped on my Inspiron 8200 back in the day and I had the complete care warrenty, so after she broke it i tried to break it more and damn, let me tell ya... it aint easy

I'll snap a picture tonight when I get home and edit this post, but here's the specs.

Dell Latitude D800
Pentium M Dothan 2.0 Ghz
1Gb Ram
60 Gb 7200 RPM HD
15.4 UXGA Widescreen
GeForce 5200 Go 64Mb
DVD/CD-RW
Its also got GigE and WirelessG.

Its really a plain old Dell laptop. I play alot of games on it, mainly HL2 and CS:S and it works pretty damn good for that.

Dell Inspiron 9200
1.6Ghz Pentium M 2M Dothan core
60GB 5400RPM HDD
512MB RAM
IPW2200BG Wireless card
Mobile RADEON 9700 128M

CS:S runs 55.79FPS @ 1280x768
Doom 3 timedemo reports ~25FPS (WTF?)
Future upgrades to include 1GB XMS, 100GB 7200RPM HDD, and maybe a faster CPU
All in all, a very nice machine.

Sorry, but no pic :(

No pics, but I have a few laptops laying around the house/office (newest to oldest):

HP nc4010 (1.7GHz Pent M, 1G RAM, 40G HDD, 12" TFT)
HP Pavillion N5495 (1.06GHz P3, 512M RAM, 30G HDD, 15" TFT)
Apple iBook 12" (800MHz G3, 256M RAM, 20G HDD, 12" TFT)
Compaq Armada E500 (600MHz P3, 256M RAM, 10G HDD, 14" TFT)
Toshiba Satellite 2595XDVD (400MHz Celery, 256M RAM, 20G HDD, 14" TFT)
IBM ThinkPad (200MHz P55C, 256M RAM, 6G HDD, 14" TFT)
Apple PowerBook Duo 270c (33MHz 68030 w/ onboard ALU, 8M RAM, 500M HDD, 9" TFT)
Apple PowerBook Duo 250 (25MHz 68030 w/o onboard ALU, 8M RAM, 250M HDD, 12" grayscale LCD)

:)

I took some photographs of the notebooks I have sitting around our home. The lighting is not very good and so some of the photographs did not turn out very well. If anyone is interested in better photographs, I will take more as time permits. The first photograph is the entire collection. Also pictured here is my Sony CLIE TG50 and 300 Gb external Maxtor hard drive:

laptops.jpg

This laptop was given to me by a friend who was doing spring cleaning in his office. It is an NEC UltraLite Versa, not to be confused with the newer UltraLite Versas that NEC released recently. It has a 486 processor operating as a blazing 33 MHz, backed up by a whopping 8 Mb of RAM. None of that DDR stuff, either. No, we're talking grandma's walker-slow. The hard drive is a monstrous 80 Mb, enough to store maybe the head of Gordon Freeman's character model from Half-Life 2. Quite ironic given this laptop's age probably exceeding the half life of most substances known to man. The 10" display is actually very nice to look at, if it were only, well, more than 10". For those of you wondering, the screen displayed in this photograph is the login screen for DR-DOS, about the only operating system I had laying around on floppy disks.

nec.jpg

Now we're getting into newer hardware. Well, at least Pentium-class hardware. This is my IBM ThinkPad 365XD that I bought for university back in the day. Unfortunately, I still have it instead of leaving it back in the day. As previously stated, we've now migrated from 486-class processors to Pentium-class, at a mind-numbing 100 MHz. With the original RAM, even using Windows 95 involved a lot of watching paint peel while the computer churned away. I finally maxed out the RAM to 48 Mb and it is comfortable running Windows 98 SE, and with a 1 Gb HDD, there is even room to spare for a few pieces of software! Unfortunately for the ThinkPad, it's final working days were spent sitting for two years, connected to my Microsoft Phone, since Microsoft dropped support for anything newer than Windows Me. Almost two years and not once did I need to reboot! So much for the naysayer's "You need to reboot every two days or Windows practically forces you to reboot" rants.

thinkpad.jpg

This is one of my newer purchases, an Apple PowerBook G4, one of the new models that came out in the past two months, with fancy features like two-fingered navigation using the touchpad. (Quite different from the one-fingered salute I typically give Apple products.) It steams along with a G4 processor at 1.5 GHz with 512 Mb of RAM to back it up. The hard drive, while slow by most standards, is at least a decent 60 Gb. I went for the 12" display because I wanted the most portable notebook Apple built. Work is steering towards replacing our PCs with Apples and since I am the IT Supervisor, I felt it best to follow along and learn as much about Mac OS X in as little time as possible, less I find myself out of a job. The laptop includes built-in 802.11g, Firewire, and Bluetooth 2.0, convenient because I have several Bluetooth devices, such as the Microsoft keyboard and mouse, that I frequently use with my main laptop.

powerbook.jpg

Ah, yes. My main laptop. I do not know what struck me to make this purchase. I know I wanted a portable machine to LAN on, which as it turns out was a rather stupid idea since I have never gone to a LAN party. All of them seem to be held here. Whatever my reasoning, I ordered this behemoth, a 17" widescreen Hypersonic Aviator GX7, and six weeks later, it arrived. To say it is large is an understatement. To say it is heavy is an even greater understatement. At 12.5 lbs, it was not the most convenient thing to lug around. I did take it to work each day until the purchase of the PowerBook, though, and my chiropractor thanks me. Using a desktop Pentium 4 processor gives this laptop a bit more pep than I was expecting, and at 3.4 GHz, it is more than adequate for the amount of games I play. Going for broke, I opted for 2 Gb of DDR RAM, and I've found it helpful for a multitude of tasks, ranging from movie editing and encoding to gaming. Rather than the processors generating the most heat, I've found a majority of the heat comes from the hard drives, two 60 Gb 7200 RPM models from Hitachi. Arranged in a striped RAID array, I've had no complaints in terms of read or write speeds, or boot speeds or load times in games. To ensure my gaming experience is as enjoyable as possible, Hypersonic felt fit to outfit the laptop with 256 Mb version of the ATI Radeon Mobility 9700. Not as fast as its newer PCIe brethren, it is still more than capable playing Half-Life 2, Doom3, and any of the other games I play. As mentioned earlier, this laptop is outfitted with built-in Bluetooth, as well as 802.11g, a built-in webcam above the LCD display, and a 4x DVD-/+RW, plus the usual standard fare like USB 2.0 and Firewire. It also offers SPDIF-out, though I have not used it yet.

hypersonic.jpg

This is my fiance's laptop, a Dell Inspiron 8600. A very impressive laptop in its own right, and well worth the money spent. She is not as gung-ho as I am regarding the newest games, but it still includes an ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, pushing to a 15.1" widescreen display. She knows more of the details than I do, but it does include USB 2.0, a 60 Gb HDD, and 512 Mb of RAM. I have used it a few times, but not enough to know much more about it.

dell.jpg

So that is about it, for now. Prior to purchasing the Hypersonic laptop, I owned a Dell Inspiron 8000, and prior to that, a Toshiba Satellite of unknown model that I owned for an entire week before replacing. (A GeForce2Go with only 16 Mb of VRAM was not going to make it the LAN party screamer I was hoping for. The Dell had 32 Mb of VRAM, and was much more suitable for gaming.) If anyone has any questions or anything, I am more than happy to answer them as time permits. Until then, take care, and keep the pictures coming!

--
Boar-Ral

setup.jpg

Inspiron 700m
1.6GHz Pentium-M
512MB PC2700
12.1" 1280x800 Display
Extended Battery (4-5 hours)
Ubuntu Linux (based on debian)

Background is dual Dell 2001FPs being pushed by:

Dual Xeon [email protected] LVs (need to re-vmod, should get up to ~3.0-3.2)
ASUS PC-DL
2GB PC2700 RAM
613GB in Hard Drives
XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB 549MHz Memory/1.1GHz Core AGP Dual DVI
(2) Dell 2001FPs @ 1600x1200@60Hz

We have been getting a few CNX9600 HPQ's in lately. 3.6Ghz P4 HT, 100GB drives, 1GB RAM, 8xDVD+-R, 17'' widesreen, docks with wireless kb/mice, roller case, X600 128MB (that clocks to 458/315 thanks ATI tool) 5-in-1 memory reader, full keyboard with 10 key, addditonal 12 cell battery, yadda, yadda for 2500.00 and change with the 3yr NBD warranty and accidental damage protection for 3 yrs.
Not a bad deal at all.
47b5dd30b3127cce90fb21e0170600000016108AYtGbRo1bNO

IBM Thinkpad T23

Mobile Pentium III-m 1ghz (upgrading to a 1.2 soon), i830MP Chipset
S3 SuperSavage w/ 16mb Discrete
PCMCIA 802.11b (just bought the internal wireless stuff for it)
20GB 4200rpm (upgrading to a 60gb 7k2 soon)
~2-2.5hr battery, gonna pick up the Ultrabay battery for it soon
DVD-ROM (gonna pick up the CD-RW soon)
1GB PC133
14.1" TFT 1024x768 (the 1400x1050 is too expensive for me to justify :()

~5.5lbs, 1.4" thick i believe

t23.jpg

Who makes the cnx 9600. First time visiting the laptop forum, time to buy a portabl gaming computer!

jagzzzzzz said:
Who makes the cnx 9600. First time visiting the laptop forum, time to buy a portabl gaming computer!
HP makes the CNX9600 but I believe it is referred to as the zd8000 when you buy it in a non-busines setting. http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do#901324
You can game fairly well on it. I run 1024x768 with a good deal of the eye candy on and I have a very enjoyable time with it. I still have a much more powerful desktop but it is nice to just grab this laptop toss it in the bag and head off to the LAN session.
If I want some AA or anisotropic filtering I will just knock it down to 800x600. I know many people will gasp at the thought of that but I have just as much fun at that setting as I do at 1280x1024 or higher when I am using my desktop.
Heck, I didn't have to pay for it anyway so it's all good. :)

Ive had this new laptop for about 5 days now, and i really like it! (which is saying something, because im usually picky).

Its an Acer Aspire 1681
80gb hard drive, intel internal wireless b/g, Pentium M 1.5ghz centrino, 512mb of ram (soon to be about 1200mb), windowsXP home, ~5 hour batter life, ~6.5lbs, 15.4" wide screen @ 1280x800 (beauitful resolution, text is amazing). The screen itself has very little ghosting, and it plays my old games (diablo 2, unreal Tournament, starcraft, minesweeper), even though it uses a intigrated graphic card.... usually around 40+ fps.
The only major big thing i don't like, is the back light, the screen is amaing, but the backlight is'nt too good (too bright on the bottom, too dark on the top of the screen). This i can live with though.
I also got a creative labs audigy 2 zs PCMCIA sound card, which im using right now with sennheiser HD-497 headphones.

Acer preloaded the computer with software that automatcally installed all the correct drives, very impressive. What's even more impressive, no "bloat ware" which was a pain when i dealt with Dell.

laptop1.jpg

Great for a mobile graphic / website design computer, and it has a DVD player, so i can watch movies ^_^.

i got it from newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-186&depa=0 for $989us.

Great notebook!

towert7 said:
Ive had this new laptop for about 5 days now, and i really like it! (which is saying something, because im usually picky).

Its an Acer Aspire 1681
80gb hard drive, intel internal wireless b/g, Pentium M 1.5ghz centrino, 512mb of ram (soon to be about 1200mb), windowsXP home, ~5 hour batter life, ~6.5lbs, 15.4" wide screen @ 1280x800 (beauitful resolution, text is amazing). The screen itself has very little ghosting, and it plays my old games (diablo 2, unreal Tournament, starcraft, minesweeper), even though it uses a intigrated graphic card.... usually around 40+ fps.
The only major big thing i don't like, is the back light, the screen is amaing, but the backlight is'nt too good (too bright on the bottom, too dark on the top of the screen). This i can live with though.
I also got a creative labs audigy 2 zs PCMCIA sound card, which im using right now with sennheiser HD-497 headphones.

Acer preloaded the computer with software that automatcally installed all the correct drives, very impressive. What's even more impressive, no "bloat ware" which was a pain when i dealt with Dell.

Great for a mobile graphic / website design computer, and it has a DVD player, so i can watch movies ^_^.

i got it from newegg http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=34-115-186&depa=0 for $989us.

Great notebook!

I never had bloatware problems with Dell when I had an Inspiron 8200, since it came with a separate XP installation disc.

How's the sound from that PCMCIA audigy?

versello said:
I never had bloatware problems with Dell when I had an Inspiron 8200, since it came with a separate XP installation disc.

How's the sound from that PCMCIA audigy?

Yea, i had a dell 8600 with only their recovery disk, and i had purchased it through their home section, so it had a ton of options at the time that were not optional... 6 months of an ISP, dell jutebox, adobe stuff, norton 90 day trial.... et cetera

Anyway, the sound card is strange. I think it runs hot (eaiher that, or the processor is right below it). Ive tried my seenhieser HD-590 headphones in it, and the sound quality out of my desktop with just an audigy 1 is a little better. Anoher gripe, is that when the audio is very very soft, or a new song starts to play, it will sometimes make a static sound..... wierd. I have not tried recording anything with their line-in yet.
It does sound better then the audio that is provided, and it comes with extra controles like base/treble, and a equalizer. For 120$, i wa expecting a little better quality, but I'm keeping it because its better then the built in sound. One thing i can say about it though, is that it provides a lot of power. When i use my HD-497 headphones, i usually keep the audio at about 20%.... whereas on my desktop i sometimes go around 50%.

And this was with the drives from the CD, and also their latest drives from their website as of 3 days ago.

~Hope this helps

Xarthan said:
[im http://img50.exs.cx/img50/8618/dsc023442ba.jpg[/img]
I see:
1 2005WFP
3 (4?) mice
2 cellphones
1 iPod mini
2 laptops
1 all-in-one printer/scanner/fax/etc
1 unknown
specs on ANY of it? ;)

Laptop1.jpg

Pentium M 730J 1.6Ghz 2MB L2 (533FSB, not 400)
Intel 915PM/GM/GMS (Identified with CPU-Z)
512MB (2x256) PC-4200 DDR2 (In dual channel)
17" WUXGA+ TrueLife Screen (1920x1200 Native)
80GB 5,400RPM HDD (awesome for battery life)
GeForce 6800 Go @ 333/666
9-Cell Battery
This is exactly the type of laptop I wanted and I'm so glad to finally have it!
Laptop2.jpg

EchoMatrix said:
i dont see any pics of the Audigy PCMCIA, anyone got that?

Yes, i use one in my laptop with sennheiser HD-497 headphoens. Its the little plastic thing sticking out of the right side (first one).
laptop1.jpg

I have the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook as well.....

sb_pccard2.jpg

I have also finally received my XPS2:

closed_laptop.jpg

diagnostics.jpg

...and now a side-by-side comparison with my old AOpen 1557GLS

side_by_side.jpg

stacked.jpg

GuruX said:

[lMG]http://members.shaw.ca/gurux/sb_pccard2.jpg[/IMG]

[lMG]http://members.shaw.ca/gurux/XPS2/closed_laptop.jpg[/IMG]

[lMG]http://members.shaw.ca/gurux/XPS2/diagnostics.jpg[/IMG]

[lMG]http://members.shaw.ca/gurux/XPS2/side_by_side.jpg[/IMG]
[lMG]http://members.shaw.ca/gurux/XPS2/stacked.jpg[/IMG]

The only thing that stopped me from getting that exact notebook was battery life, I hear with a 2Gig dothan and 6800U it gets as little as 2 hours under load + 100% brightness?! Can you verify this for me?

ScHpAnKy said:
The only thing that stopped me from getting that exact notebook was battery life, I hear with a 2Gig dothan and 6800U it gets as little as 2 hours under load + 100% brightness?! Can you verify this for me?

That would be about right (based on reviews I've read). Remember that this is a DTR (DeskTop Replacement) notebook, rather than a notebook focused more on mobility.

In all fairness though, that's about twice the battery life you'd get out of a 12-pound Sager, Alienware, or Voodoo (primarily because those use desktop P4 chips). So, when comparing DTR systems, the XPS2 fares quite well in terms of battery life.

GuruX said:

sb_pccard2.jpg

closed_laptop.jpg

diagnostics.jpg

side_by_side.jpg

stacked.jpg
Damn, I'm SOOOO tempted to get one of those XPS2 beauties. I'd do it tonight if I could sell my Hornet Pro. There doesn't seem to be much demand for used SFF computers.

atlwriter said:
Damn, I'm SOOOO tempted to get one of those XPS2 beauties. I'd do it tonight if I could sell my Hornet Pro. There doesn't seem to be much demand for used SFF computers.
ok ppl.... im getting REALLY tired of this.... DO NOT QUOTE ALL PICS!!! if theres only one pic, MAYBE two pics, then its no big deal. but DONT post EVERY SINGLE PIC just to post ONE STUPID COMMENT!!! :mad:

congrats to ScHpAnKy, since hes the only one whos done that. :rolleyes: :highfive:

TSS Modder said:
ok ppl.... im getting REALLY tired of this.... DO NOT QUOTE ALL PICS!!! if theres only one pic, MAYBE two pics, then its no big deal. but DONT post EVERY SINGLE PIC just to post ONE STUPID COMMENT!!! :mad:

congrats to ScHpAnKy, since hes the only one whos done that. :rolleyes: :highfive:
i did too.. it annoys me , so i know it annoys you guys

freebsd_t42p.png

Sorry for the crappy picture, my camera was almost dead.

IBM t42p
--------------
1.8ghz Dothon
512mb ddr ram (I need to buy another 512)
ATI FireGL T2 128mb
60gig 7200rpm hd
15" Display (I forget off top of my head; but i love it; so clear)
built-in wireless a/b/g and 100/1000 ethernet.
FreeBSD 5.4 RC1
--------------

I'm going to take it out of it's home this summer and give it a new paint job .

Xenarchy said:
I'm going to take it out of it's home this summer and give it a new paint job .
you are going to PAINT a THINKPAD?

:(

i would reconsider that.. not only becuase they look cool in all black, but becuase it would look crappy on the lid, as that is not plastic...

lithium726 said:
you are going to PAINT a THINKPAD?

:(

i would reconsider that.. not only becuase they look cool in all black, but becuase it would look crappy on the lid, as that is not plastic...

Maybe it'll just get washed then. :)

TSS Modder said:

Ooohhh, I sure don't wanna get TSS mad at me. He might have his mommy call my mommy and then I'd be grounded and couldn't play D&D all weekend.

You're an idiot, TSS.

Back