Your Next IT Job

HardOCP News

[H] News
With the economy being what it is and unemployment through the roof, this IT job is an ideal position for someone with the right skill set.

A supervising communications technical officer with a base salary of $72,726 before tax and an allowance of $49,014 was the highest paid of the three roles. The Government paid superannuation of 15.4 percent.

That sounds absolutely amazing. I'd do that in heartbeat. Non-Australian or New Zealand citzens need not apply though :(

hmm definitely not for me
72K is about par for an experience IT worker, need to pay alot more than that to have me spend a few years of my life there.

I just saw the documentary "Whiteout" starring Kate Beckinsale. Too many dead people out there.

Antarctica? Fuck that. The only way I would reconsider is if the research team were all playmates of the year.

Antarctica's summer sounds a lot like Chicago's winter...so I guess I'm going to have to pass.

Man, you guys have no sense of adventure. I guess this is why the positions still available..typical IT workers can't handle the rough environment hah

I actually applied for a janitor position when I was in college to work in Antartica through Raytheon....never got it but I thought for $60k for the year to push a broom and none of my family could reach me it would be nice.

I like adventures and all but if I did go to any of the poles it wouldn't be for more than a few days at most a week

this isn't that much worse than the weather in calgary alberta, but the pay is way short for the conditions.

Not Enough $$$. I bet it's Boring Job. You have to rely on what last Guy Ordered to do this year's work.

DM

Man, you guys have no sense of adventure. I guess this is why the positions still available..typical IT workers can't handle the rough environment hah
The only thing adventurous about this job would be if you attempted to rape a penguin after you went mad with cabin fever.

there is nothing adventurous about being stuck in some ice cave for a prolonged period of time
and I dont think its the rough cold temperatures thats keeping people from wanting that job, its more of being isolated from the rest of the world

These kind of jobs are good to work at least once in your life. It might not sound like very much money but there is no where to spend it. Room and board is included plus they buy your clothes. Just bring a lot of books and rip all your dvds.

By the sounds of it the only down side is you would have to hang out with a bunch of tree huggers trying to save the earth. They probably wouldn't allow you to exhale as that would release too much CO2 :D

being unemployed and of the IT flavor -- I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I was making almost 6 figured in my last job in oil and gas, but the bubble burst and times are tough. It would suck to be stuck with a bunch of no good hippies, but not having to pay for room, clothes, or any of that jazz and basically putting all that money in the bank? hell yeah.

They probably wouldn't like me though once they found out my engine is a 427ci ^_^

hmm definitely not for me
72K is about par for an experience IT worker, need to pay alot more than that to have me spend a few years of my life there.

LOL

I take you are (or you know) one of the 10 IT ppl that still have a job? :cool:

These kind of jobs are good to work at least once in your life. It might not sound like very much money but there is no where to spend it. Room and board is included plus they buy your clothes. Just bring a lot of books and rip all your dvds.

By the sounds of it the only down side is you would have to hang out with a bunch of tree huggers trying to save the earth. They probably wouldn't allow you to exhale as that would release too much CO2 :D

hahaha

Wow thats half of what the Government offered my friend to go work Afghanistan for a year... I think I would take a war-zone over freezing my ass off. I hate the cold...

If I could do it I might. Might be nice to get away from everything for a year and detox from it all.

Like someone said, bring a LOT of books.

LOL

I take you are (or you know) one of the 10 IT ppl that still have a job? :cool:

yes the economy reduced the size of the IT department here but there's still a sizeable amount of manpower needed to keep critical operations going that cant be shipped overseas

as an in-house developer for the IT department, we are the first and last line of support for some of the apps where there's a few where I'm only 1 of 2 people that can currently support/maintain it

Always dreamed of working in Antarctica. If I didn't love my current job, I'd be applying to Raytheon in an instant, just to improve my chances of transferring over there at some point. I still keep an eye on their open Antarctic positions, just in case something comes up that is too good to resist and that I'd actually have a good chance at getting.

I'd do it. I wouldn't mind disappearing for a while. I'd bring an ice saw too. Make a igloo village in my free time.

Wow thats half of what the Government offered my friend to go work Afghanistan for a year... I think I would take a war-zone over freezing my ass off. I hate the cold...

I think this job would be more desirable than the one in afghan, considering this one at least you can stay alive as long as you don't run out of heat, whereas the other one...Well there's always IEDs to worry about when you need to go from one location to another...and also the occasional(okay more like more often than not) attacks by Talibans with RPG/machine guns.

Then again I guess some like to be scared sh!tless everyday :D

$72,000 with housing and food included is good. I don't see how some people are saying it's not. Food and housing take up a large chunk of people's money. Here it's free.

$72,000 with housing and food included is good. I don't see how some people are saying it's not. Food and housing take up a large chunk of people's money. Here it's free.

Hmm, the article says 1 cubic meter of personal belongings for a year. Seriously, I wonder what you'd do for entertainment with a limit of 1 metre of cubic space. You'd have to pack your entire year's entertainment in 2 suitcases basically. I think maybe I could fit a pc + three small monitors + headphones? There's an internet connection so maybe online gaming with eyefinity when your not scraping the ice of your internet's satalite dish :D? You'd be fine until you become THE THING.

I'm really thinking of applying for one of those positions. I'm originally from Alaska, and we lived in a very remote bush community for a long time. You had neighbors where we were at, but that was about it. There were not really any roads. Lots of snow. I don't think the cold would bother me too bad. I would definitely miss my family, but that's more money than I'm making now.

Do they really turn you down if you're a U.S. Citizen? ... I started a "Save the Earth Club" when I was in 5th grade if that counts for anything! :p

Won't even let you complete registration without being from NZ or Aus. What a bummer. I thought Antarctica welcomed diversity from myriad nations, not just Australia and NZ....

Back